Which one?

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I was looking for a nice headlamp. I am a mechanic so I will be using it at work as well as around the house camping and late night reading beside the wife. So I need to be able to change to different light levels. But I also want the brightest headlamp I can get for $100.00 to 150.00 dollars. And very comfortable. Thanks for all your help guys.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Saint Minimus is a good option, also I would add the Princeton Tec Apex.

It has the ability to produce a good flood light for close range work such as reading, and mechanical work. It has a long range beam for trekking etc.

Considering that you don't even need a long range beam, actually, I'd just go for one of the Zebralight models, which are famous for their powerful flood capabilities. Apparently they have low modes just good for reading.

If you know you won't use long-range beam then just go for the Zebralight, otherewise I'd recommend the PT Apex.

Hope this helps in your search,

woodentsick

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
those are good suggestions.

also check out zebralight h501w and h60w. the "w" is for warm tint, the h501 and h60 are standard cool tint, but a little bit brighter. im an aircraft mechanic, and prefer the warm tint. i have a zebralight h501w in my shirt pocket at work, and sometimes ill clip it inbetween the buttons of my shirt. its very small, headband is light, and comfortable. light can easily be adjusted to point whichever way either in the headband or using the clip, because the light can rotate 360 degrees while in headband or clip.

ive even epoxied some magnets on the bottom of the tail cap. the light, i think has a 80 degree even flood light, and is great for close up work. also has 3 brightness settings, and a hidden strobe mode.

the h501 uses a single AA battery, while the H60 uses a 18650 li-ion which provides the best runtimes and brightness, and is bigger.

i got mine from illuminationgear.com $60 with 8% off, free shipping, and good service.

zapper

Enlightened
Also depends on if you are going to use it lying down on your back or not.

I have the PT Apex and that covers 90% of what you mentioned. You can find it on-line for under $60 shipped.

However, with that said, if you are going to lie on your back, performing close up work, one of the single AA or three AAA battery lights mentioned above will be required. The battery pack on the back of your head becomes uncomfortable when you lie on it for very long. I would reccomend the 3 or 4 LED versions as they produce a very wide beam with little bounce back reflection for up close work and are very light and small. Something like the PT Remix or Energizer 6 or 7 LED models.

carrot

Flashaholic
You do not have to spend big bucks to get a good headlamp. The Princeton Tec EOS (EOSR is the product code for the new one) is a great, popular and well-reviewed headlamp for only $40. It is rated at 50 lumens, which isn't terribly bright but it is plenty useful in the dark.

However, it is neither as nice or as fancy as a Saint Minimus, which I can recommend highly as I am wearing it on my head right now (for the hell of it, and because I was looking for something in the basement). The Minimus is incredibly lightweight, comfortable, and bright. It has a knob that you spin to raise or lower the output, which is incredibly fast and easy to use and intuitive. It is perfect for reading at night with a very smooth and nicely collimated beam, as well as perfect for walking around at night and inspecting dark areas. I daresay the Saint/Minimus has become one of my all-time favorite illumination tools.

The Minimus runs for $135, unless you're friends with a SF dealer or a LEO/Mil. Not bad, for the best general purpose headlamp on the market. (For caving, the Stenlight seems preferable.) It's also worth every penny.