Hey Guys: Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
1) for when the electricity goes out
2) for the very occasional camping/ hiking
3) occasional walking around at night
0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)
I can spend about $50 but that is the absolute max. I would love it if I could spend a lot less (like around $30)
____I want a flashlight.
I dont really care but I don't really want it longer than 8 inches. Smaller size like the inova x5 is not bad either. Dont really care/
I dont care
5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D) OR
I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
Doesnt really matter which
6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
Since this will be my ONLY light, and want it to be impressive among my friends, Maybe a flashlight that has different outputs- but that doesnt really matter too much. I like something bright too, to make my friends inova x5 look dim lol. I am a college student, and really like the bright flashlights, and a light that I can use in a worse case as a tactical light would be cool too.
7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below.
if you can change it in the flashlight that would be cool, but i prefer more throw.
8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.
At least 2 hours minimum out of 1 set of batteries. I don't really wanna keep on changing battery if the total run time is 1 hour. I like to have it run longer though, like 10 hours or more would be great lol. The longer it runs, the less I feel bad about using my flashlight in less dire times. Im used to a maglight like DD but dont know how long that run time is.
9) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
Pretty important- I want this to last the rest of my life or 50+ years
8) Switch Type:
I don't care.
9) Switch Location:
____I don't care.
10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
____A simple on-off is fine for me. or I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.) or I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.) or
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)
Doesnt really matter
11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
____I don't care.
12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
___x_Waterproof – how deep: __Being able to use it in light rain or drop it in a puddle would be cool
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____“Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
Again, if i drop it or whatever, I want it to stand abuse as i want this light to last a lifetime.
if you guys need any more input from me for helping me decide on a light that would be great!
Hope you guys can help me out!