Recommendations for a new flashlight.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys: Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
1) for when the electricity goes out
2) for the very occasional camping/ hiking
3) occasional walking around at night

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I can spend about $50 but that is the absolute max. I would love it if I could spend a lot less (like around $30)

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

I dont really care but I don't really want it longer than 8 inches. Smaller size like the inova x5 is not bad either. Dont really care/
4) Width:

I dont care

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D) OR
I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

Doesnt really matter which

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

Since this will be my ONLY light, and want it to be impressive among my friends, Maybe a flashlight that has different outputs- but that doesnt really matter too much. I like something bright too, to make my friends inova x5 look dim lol. I am a college student, and really like the bright flashlights, and a light that I can use in a worse case as a tactical light would be cool too.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--------------------x--|----------------------Flood/close-up

if you can change it in the flashlight that would be cool, but i prefer more throw.

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

At least 2 hours minimum out of 1 set of batteries. I don't really wanna keep on changing battery if the total run time is 1 hour. I like to have it run longer though, like 10 hours or more would be great lol. The longer it runs, the less I feel bad about using my flashlight in less dire times. Im used to a maglight like DD but dont know how long that run time is.

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Pretty important- I want this to last the rest of my life or 50+ years

8) Switch Type:

I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me. or I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.) or I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.) or
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

Doesnt really matter

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
___x_Waterproof – how deep: __Being able to use it in light rain or drop it in a puddle would be cool
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Again, if i drop it or whatever, I want it to stand abuse as i want this light to last a lifetime.

if you guys need any more input from me for helping me decide on a light that would be great!

Hope you guys can help me out!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Since you're looking for more throw than flood, the Fenix TK series of lights seems like a good fit. The TK20 might work: it uses 2 AA batteries, has two levels (high for ~1 hr and low for ~8-10 hours), is built like a tank, and is definitely oriented more for throw. (It also uses a neutral-tinted LED, which helps better render colors in the outdoors.) The TK11 is another good option; it's a similar light, but it runs on CR123s. Someone just recently posted a link to them for $54 on Amazon; I'm sure a quick search of CPF would turn that link up.

If you want to use the light for camping, you might want to consider purchasing a light with a "very low" low for nighttime - maybe a few lumens at most. The TKs don't offer this option; another light to consider in that case is the Quark (or Quark Turbo) by 4sevens.com. It doesn't throw quite as far, but it puts out a huge amount of light and offers a very low low.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and happy hunting!

- FITP

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
I will look into that. How about the fenix ld20?

I dont know if i want more throw than flood. Maybe a little more throw but either would work for me. More suggestions would be awesome! Just looking for some good choices on a good flashlight that can last my my whole life and that is pretty bright at times.

duboost

Enlightened
Fenix TK20 is a great light for the price, but like was mentioned, its missing a real low level. But its rock solid, good throw, and nice tint.

Some other lights I'd look into are 4sevens Quarks if you're willing to spend less than $5 more over your $50 budget. These lights are usually highly recommended on here for general purpose lights. Good choice of modes from bright highs to very low lows.

Also check out eagletac lights at PTS. You can get the T100C2 MKII w/ either cool or neutral tint for $46.99. Or if you prefer a slightly smaller form factor, the P100C2 is $39.99. However like the TK20, these lack a real low level.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK20 is a great light for the price, but like was mentioned, its missing a real low level. But its rock solid, good throw, and nice tint.

Some other lights I'd look into are 4sevens Quarks if you're willing to spend less than $5 more over your $50 budget. These lights are usually highly recommended on here for general purpose lights. Good choice of modes from bright highs to very low lows.

Also check out eagletac lights at PTS. You can get the T100C2 MKII w/ either cool or neutral tint for $46.99. Or if you prefer a slightly smaller form factor, the P100C2 is $39.99. However like the TK20, these lack a real low level.

I dont mind it if it doesnt have a real low low light. That is ok with me.

Man the tk20 on ebay is exactly 50 bucks. Good call. Better than the LD20? The LD20 has more modes and same price.

More opinions are welcomed :):)

Last edited:

csa

Enlightened
Pick up one of the entry-level 2-cell surefire lights. They're pretty well liked, but you may spend a bit more than your budget. They're the lights that'll come closest to your "forever" requirement for durability.

Personally, you may have overstated that. Light technology changes over time, and 5-10 years is about as long as it's reasonable to expect a light to compete with new technology.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definately recommend the Maglite XL100. :thumbsup: It's $40 shipped. Very unique light, for more info about the UI, click on my sig image to read my review.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RQH1EO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

If $40 is too much, the 2AA LED Mini Maglite multi-mode is $19.88 regular price at Home Depot and a fine light. All Maglites are made in USA with lifetime warranty and great CS too. :twothumbs

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Pick up one of the entry-level 2-cell surefire lights. They're pretty well liked, but you may spend a bit more than your budget. They're the lights that'll come closest to your "forever" requirement for durability.

Personally, you may have overstated that. Light technology changes over time, and 5-10 years is about as long as it's reasonable to expect a light to compete with new technology.

I will look into the surefire lights. I dont really need to have a flashlight with the newest technology, just something that will last for durability wise. It doesnt bother me if it uses an incandescnet or led or cree or whatever light.:)

duboost

Enlightened
I will look into the surefire lights. I dont really need to have a flashlight with the newest technology, just something that will last for durability wise. It doesnt bother me if it uses an incandescnet or led or cree or whatever light.:)
If that's the case I'd definitely look into surefire. Check out the 6P, its definitely durable, and you can upgrade the P60 drop in easily to your choice of led, tint, modes, etc when you have more to spend on it. In the mean time the normal incan P60 should suit u well enough

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
If that's the case I'd definitely look into surefire. Check out the 6P, its definitely durable, and you can upgrade the P60 drop in easily to your choice of led, tint, modes, etc when you have more to spend on it. In the mean time the normal incan P60 should suit u well enough

Looks nice, but wayyyy over my budget. :mecry: And the battery life doesn't fit my qualifications above. :sigh:

duboost

Enlightened
Looks nice, but wayyyy over my budget. :mecry: And the battery life doesn't fit my qualifications above. :sigh:
doh.. sorry forgot about the runtime. Although there is a 6P over within the marketplace in your budget ;).

Oh and if you end up going with the TK20, don't get it off ebay. 4sevens gives u 8% off with the code "cpf8" and free shipping and is a reputable dealer

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
doh.. sorry forgot about the runtime. Although there is a 6P over within the marketplace in your budget ;).

Oh and if you end up going with the TK20, don't get it off ebay. 4sevens gives u 8% off with the code "cpf8" and free shipping and is a reputable dealer

Oh ok I will definitely not get it on ebay then. If you know of any more coupon codes or good cheap dealers please let me know :twothumbs LD20 on amazon is cheaper though.

You guys recommend the tk20 over the ld20?

More suggestions are welcomed.

duboost

Enlightened
here's a list of coupon codes

Between the LD20 and TK20, if it were my only light, I'd probably go with the LD20 just because it's more versatile since it has more modes and is a smaller light. Either will make your friend's X5 look dim though, which is what you're looking for lol

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
here's a list of coupon codes

Between the LD20 and TK20, if it were my only light, I'd probably go with the LD20 just because it's more versatile since it has more modes and is a smaller light. Either will make your friend's X5 look dim though, which is what you're looking for lol

Thanks. Whats the advantage of the TK20 over the LD20? I also heard for at least the LD20, to change modes you loosen the head, and if you loosen it too much it can come off...thats something i dont really like -__-

Are these the best lights for my criteria?

What about the fenix PD30 or others?

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
tk20 is built more solid, it has a warm tint emitter, it has a rubber grip on the body.

if your also looking at the LD20, ill recommend the Quark AA-2 over it.
option of 3 types of emitters, R5 for a wider hotspot, and brighter spill.
R2 for more throw, Q3 (warm tint) for warm tint.:D

quark also has 2 types of interfaces to choose from. regular which is exactly like the fenix LD20 interface, except it has moonlight mode which is 0.2 lumens, and will last for weeks. also has S.O.S and beacon mode. so a total of 8 different modes. 5 brightness modes plus 3 blinky modes.

the tactical interface allows you to program of the 8 modes, any 2 modes of them, and switch back and forth with bezel tighten, or loosened. tactical version is also a foward clicky, but you lose tailstand because of the protruding switch.

as mentioned before 4sevens.com has free shipping, is ruputable, and can get 8% off your total order.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
tk20 is built more solid, it has a warm tint emitter, it has a rubber grip on the body.

if your also looking at the LD20, ill recommend the Quark AA-2 over it.
option of 3 types of emitters, R5 for a wider hotspot, and brighter spill.
R2 for more throw, Q3 (warm tint) for warm tint.:D

quark also has 2 types of interfaces to choose from. regular which is exactly like the fenix LD20 interface, except it has moonlight mode which is 0.2 lumens, and will last for weeks. also has S.O.S and beacon mode. so a total of 8 different modes. 5 brightness modes plus 3 blinky modes.

the tactical interface allows you to program of the 8 modes, any 2 modes of them, and switch back and forth with bezel tighten, or loosened. tactical version is also a foward clicky, but you lose tailstand because of the protruding switch.

as mentioned before 4sevens.com has free shipping, is ruputable, and can get 8% off your total order.

Awesome I will look into that flashlight. Looks great. Would you suggest getting the tactical version or not? Also I am a bit weary of the company. I know fenix has been around a lot and their warranties are good. How about 4seven's quark?

Anything with less modes also? Seems like an overkill...or maybe not lol. I am so new to this flashlight thing.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
Awesome I will look into that flashlight. Looks great. Would you suggest getting the tactical version or not? Also I am a bit weary of the company. I know fenix has been around a lot and their warranties are good. How about 4seven's quark?

Anything with less modes also? Seems like an overkill...or maybe not lol. I am so new to this flashlight thing.

I've played around with a few Quarks... I prefer the tactical version. It basically only has two levels (so it's easier to use & less confusing), but you get to program how high or low (or flashing, or whatever) you want those two levels to be.

Personally, if I was looking for a general-use flashlight for around $50, I would probably buy a Quark Tactical 1xAA or 2xAA.

Point Source

Newly Enlightened

4Sevens is a very well respected company among the users here. They have a constant and very responsive presence on these forums, and offer no BS customer service.

A good talking point for the quark that I have not seen mentioned is that the parts are completely interchangeable. By that I mean if you get the 2xAA model, in the future you could also purchase the AA body or the CR123 body (but NOT 2xCR123!!) and assemble the light in whichever form you think you need to run on whatever cell you choose. A VERY nice feature.

As far as the number of modes goes, it's a personal preference. Some prefer more modes, others prefer less. The standard model offers 5 brightness modes, 3 blinky modes, and a reverse clicky to navigate through them. The tactical has the same modes, but the user programs what two modes they want and accesses them with a forward clicky. You'll have to read through the product descriptions for a more accurate summary and decide which you will like better.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also heard for at least the LD20, to change modes you loosen the head, and if you loosen it too much it can come off...thats something i dont really like

I don't know where you heard that but that (the head falling off) has *never ever* happened to my LD20 and I've been EDCing it literally evey single day since Christmas 2009. It is true that to get the LD20 out of turbo mode you do have to loosen the head from its completely tightened down position, but the O ring is plenty snug enough and you only have to loosen it about 10 degrees counter clockwise so that the head is FAR FAR from coming off. Water will not get into the light even with the head not locked in turbo mode.

What you heard is the furthest thing from the truth regarding the LD20 or in fact *any* high performance flashlight that requires twisting of the head to access different modes.