Glow in the dark Epoxy

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
How would I be able to effectively use this with a 3D p7 Maglite? I haven't started doing the construction yet, and it has come to my understanding that you buy it in a powder form and mix with the epoxy. When applying the epoxy, do I deliberately smear the glue around the LED on the heatsink? Because I've read that your only suppose to use a little bit of epoxy when gluing the p7 to the heatsink... Who has successfully done this before? Do you have any tips?

And I know that yellow-green is the brightest, but is it to bright? I really want to use the red powder, but according to glowinc.com red is significantly more dim. But how dim?

Also, I need thermal paste, where a good place to buy that?

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would I be able to effectively use this with a 3D p7 Maglite? I haven't started doing the construction yet, and it has come to my understanding that you buy it in a powder form and mix with the epoxy. When applying the epoxy, do I deliberately smear the glue around the LED on the heatsink? Because I've read that your only suppose to use a little bit of epoxy when gluing the p7 to the heatsink... Who has successfully done this before? Do you have any tips?

And I know that yellow-green is the brightest, but is it to bright? I really want to use the red powder, but according to glowinc.com red is significantly more dim. But how dim?

Also, I need thermal paste, where a good place to buy that?

When people talk about not using too much epoxy they mean under the LED. In that case you are talking about a special thermal epoxy not the cheap Walmart stuff. The thinner the layer the better the heat transfer. After that has been accomplished some people like to pot around the LED with a clear epoxy(different than the thermal epoxy) impregnated with the glow powder. This is just for looks and not thermal concerns.
Too bright depends on what is too bright to you. I have never seen a glow powder that was too bright myself.

Thermal paste and thermal epoxy can be bought at Fry's in the computer section.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
When people talk about not using too much epoxy they mean under the LED. In that case you are talking about a special thermal epoxy not the cheap Walmart stuff. The thinner the layer the better the heat transfer. After that has been accomplished some people like to pot around the LED with a clear epoxy(different than the thermal epoxy) impregnated with the glow powder. This is just for looks and not thermal concerns.
Too bright depends on what is too bright to you. I have never seen a glow powder that was too bright myself.

Thermal paste and thermal epoxy can be bought at Fry's in the computer section.

OK, so you say there's 2 types of epoxy to use for the LED, one for gluing the LED to the heatsink (thermal epoxy), and the other clear one for the sole purpose mixing with powder and making a lump of glue around the LED. Right? How much glue and glow powder do I use to put around the LED? And how do I make sure it doesn't get on the physical LED?

And is 1/4 an once enough for this project? Is this a good powder to buy?

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=42

sorry for the million questions, I'm new to this and I don't want to screw up

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so you say there's 2 types of epoxy to use for the LED, one for gluing the LED to the heatsink (thermal epoxy), and the other clear one for the sole purpose mixing with powder and making a lump of glue around the LED. Right? How much glue and glow powder do I use to put around the LED? And how do I make sure it doesn't get on the physical LED?

sorry for the million questions, I'm new to this and I don't want to screw up
You'll hardly use any of the thermal paste - it fills tiny air gaps between the metal LED transfer plate and the heatsink. You'll probably use the reflector or some other clampy thing to lightly hold the LED in place, as it's easier (and nondestructive to upgrade) than glueing it down. The thermal paste has a bit of holding power, but try not to gob your glow-ridden epoxy around the dome of the emitter.

I used sandpaper to make the back plate completely flat, and then finish it down to very smooth - then the same on the heatsink. Then you'll use about a rice-grain size or less chunk of thermal paste (depends on the size of the backing). Good luck! Watch for things to turn blue and you probably won't kill it too fast.

bstrickler

Enlightened

I could send you my green glow powder for $10. My scale measures 2.2 ounces, including the container. That's probably enough for 10+ uses.

Use Dev-Con 2-ton epoxy (Dev-Con 30 minute works fine). DO NOT GO CHEAP!!! I did that, and ended up having a bizarre chemical reaction. When I started mixing the powder in the epoxy, it started hardening right away, and within about 90 seconds, it got to about 100-110 degrees F (I did it again, to see how hot it got. I was curious). After that 90 seconds, it was rock hard, and resembled a massive radioactive booger. :duh2:

The powder, when freshly charged, is more than bright enough to navigate a hallway for about 30 seconds, before it starts getting fairly dim. After that, its mostly effective for locating the light. It isn't specific to this powder, its like that with pretty much every powder out there. The larger grained ones, if I remember correctly, hold their charge for a little longer than fine grained powders.

~Brian

greenLED

Flashaholic

Glow powders from Glowinc are top notch; that amount will last you for a looooooooooooong time

Check out this thread where Master modder darkzero shares his glow-poxy secrets. Also, search for my posts on the topic on the custom and modified section.

<--- self proclaimed glow addict