• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Not happy with R2H in Blaster 1R

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am posting in Sandwich Shoppe because I used one of Dat2zip's R2H's as a mod for my Blaster 1R. I removed the stock luxeon star, in this case an N3H, from the 1R and installed the R2H, making sure that I connected everything back up the way it was. I was expecting a brightness close to the Blaster II+. To my perception (no light meter) there was no real change from N3H. Yes, I am sure that stock luxeon was an N3H, it is noted on back of star. What happened. I know that the Blaster II+ is running at about 700mA's, and I had fresh batteries in both lights, but I did expect more light from 1R. I do not know what bin the Blaster II+ is in my light, and did not check as wire was resistant to pulling to any degree, so I could not see under star. Anybody have any ideas?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill
the micropuck used in the 1R is only drive 350 mA to the led, so that is a lot of difference in mA between the 1R and the B2+. You cannot expect something running at 350 would be able to outrun the 700, right?
try to change the led in B2+ to the R2H (not recommended) and you shall see the true power from the R2H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i hope this clears thing up.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks, Shiftd, I guess I expected more since R running at specs should be brighter than N running at specs, maybe x2. Re R2 in Blaster II+, wouldn't 4.5 volts overpower forward voltage of R2H, sort off quick kill?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
it will overdrive the R2H to the same amp. I think it would be ok, but don't take my word for it. Those 3AA mod made by MR B or smone else even register 1 amp to the lux, but they still running nicely. So, I guess it is worth a try, but do remember, for intermittent use only. You don't want to convert a good LS to a Bluish green dying lux.
one more thing, YMMV (your mileage may vary)