Luxeon Rebel Lens sample kits?

oakgraphics

Newly Enlightened
Howdy gang,

Is there anybody out there that sells lens sample kits? I am having fun making a RGB+W lamp but was looking to see what would be the best optics. I wanted to be able set the light to be either a 'flood' or a 'spot'. I see LEDIL has a sample kit but I am a bit stranged out by the fact they want me to fax them a order form with my credit card to finland. :-?

Anybody know of any vendors in the US for this type of thing? I would also like to see other lens companies samples as well.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

oakgraphics

Newly Enlightened
Hi oakgraphics,

Here's a look at 3 different optics that I bought from Future Electronics. Included are prices and part numbers - all made for Rebel LED:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/261314

Cheers,
Jeff O.

Wow - those little ones look like it would be a good match for my project. Thanks for the post! :)

I have a question - how are you getting those rebels on the heat sink? I mean I see you are using a thermal bond, but how do you solder them so they don't short on the heat sink? Do you scrape the top of the led and solder there? I didn't know you could solder the top of the Rebel is why I ask. :) :ohgeez:

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Note that the little Carclo optics come in three different beam angles - I have tried the 40 degree and 20 degree, and favor both of them.

To isolate the Rebel's bottom contacts, I paint on a thin layer of clear fingernail polish on the contacts only - and not on the copper heat pad directly under the emitter! After that dries, I use carefully mixed arctic alumina epoxy to fix them to the heatsink. I let it harden overnight, and then scrape off the layer of coating on the top side copper traces. I am careful to pre-tin those traces, and also the wire I will solder to them, to make a good connection. I use a 28 or 26 gauge solid wire.
Here's a look at 18 Rebels I applied to a P4 heatsink recently. I will be posting this build in the next week or two. It is my high-CRI light for photography.
cri_build_heatsink%20side_01.jpg

The one blob of epoxy without an LED is a thermistor, used to turn on a cooling fan once it gets hot. This is 15 high-cri 4000K 80-lumen per watt whites, and 2 red, and one cyan LED.

Jeff O.

oakgraphics

Newly Enlightened
That's a very interesting build! What are you using to drive the LEDs? It looks like you wired them in serial for every three. Do you wire those batches of three serially as well? Are you running those guys at 700ma?
I like your idea and I have been looking at some places for some heat-sinks like that to give it a shot. Allelectronics has a few that I will try out that looks like I could build something simular. :)

jeffosborne

Enlightened
I built my own regulators, with a potentiometer for full dimming. Five sets of 3 LEDs can draw 0 to 800ma per string, for 4.0 amps full on.Jeff O.