New manufacture at CPFMP has an Slim HID kit: is it any good?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
"HID kits" in halogen headlights (any brand of kit in any kind of headlight in any kind of road vehicle) do not work effectively or safely, so they are illegal throughout the developed world. See here.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
PURPLE Pimpalicious, no less!

I just can't see trashing the beam pattern of my headlights, particularly the low beams. It might be fun to fool around with "conversions," but I'd do it offroad, FAR offroad...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Ooh! Ooh! But this kit is slim! And it's, um, it's uh, it's digital and stuff! That means it must be good, right?

Sheesh, why must people be so gullible and stupid? What's the next buzzword after "digital" and "slim"?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
"So slim and digital, it's BETTER than JDM!"

Ahh, the wonders of buzzwords. What else could possibly work better in separating dollars from wallets?

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I made the first reply to him and pretty much told him he needs to get rid of that garbage.

I wonder how much effect that will have though. :(

tay

Enlightened
A few of my favorite lines from the site:

All HIDs are so bright they are gauged to sunlight and the color that the sun will be at that temperature

This type of chipset is very difficult to design, and cost our Engineering Department $600,000 to develop.

HID bulb life is 5,000 hours using our ballast, compared to only 2,000 hours using CPU controller found in China ballasts.

Standard Kelvin colors reproduce the color spectrum of daylight exactly

Super bright 3600 Lumens compared to standard stock halogen bulbs

3x the improved visibility at night & bad weather

E-Mark , TUV ISO 9001-2000 certified

1. LOL, I didn't realize that the sun changed temperature. I thought it was always 5800K surface and a couple million at the core. Didn't realize that the sun could sometimes be 6000K and sometimes be 10000K depending on how ricey you want your car to look.

2. Ridiculously large, completely made-up number 1

3. Ridiculously large, completely made-up number 2

4. Didn't realize that HID was a blackbody. News to me. Always thought it had discrete output frequencies

5. Guess the $600,000 engineering department figured out how to make a 35w HID bulb that's got a few hundred more lumens than an OEM one of much higher quality

6. Subjective and completely B.S. statistic 1

7. When will people realize that ISO 9000 certification pertains to a business itself, and does not have anything to do with any automotive lighting standards in any part of the world?

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I'd like to know when these morons who put in re-based HID bulbs in there halogen head lamps will ever get it? It's completely lame. If I had the power to pull over these idiots, I would make them pull the kit out right then and give it to me to destroy, and make them drive home with only there marker lights... If they got into an accident...WHO CARES! :thumbsup::crackup::eek:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
If I had the power to pull over these idiots, I would make them pull the kit out right then and give it to me to destroy, and make them drive home with only there marker lights.

My cop fantasy runs a little differently than yours. In mine, they have to remove and surrender the "HID kit" right there and then by the roadside. Then, unless they have correct bulbs to install right there and then, the car gets towed as unroadworthy (no headlamps).

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
My cop fantasy runs a little differently than yours. In mine, they have to remove and surrender the "HID kit" right there and then by the roadside. Then, unless they have correct bulbs to install right there and then, the car gets towed as unroadworthy (no headlamps).

I like your fantasy...it's better than mine.:twothumbs

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit over a year ago, I was tempted for a short time and looked into getting an HID kit for my vehicles. I wanted max output for highbeams as I travel many miles on open double divided highway with no oncoming trraffic, with deer and other creatures always wanted to cross my path. If the person didn't know any better, why wouldn't they believe that the very inexpensive DDM (and the like) kits aren't the answer to all the lighting needs and then some. You have very high output for both lamps less than the price of one single gen3 HIR bulb, and various colors to boot.

Fortunately, after doing some research (and it didn't take much effort either) I stumbled on DS's site and became a little more educated on correct lighting. I try to reference the correct information (I have seen Alaric D on the TN forum doing a better job) as much as I can but the ignorance out there is almost overwhelming. I am just glad I live in a relatively low populated region where I don't have to face these ignoramuses blasting uncontrolled light everywhere on our roads.

I did try an experiment with putting a 9005 in the low beam 9006 slot to get an idea of what the output of an HIR would be. However, I found that there was increased upward reflections that were not as evident when I had the 9006 in there. The upward reflection was more pronounced in the rain/snow and that was not worth it for me so I went back to the 9006 and I am OK with the stock output. I would like to try out a set of 9011 HIRs in the high beam but I am hesitant to get them as the stock 9005 output is very good already, and parting with near $50 for a small increase might be not worth it. I thought I noticed a small increase in throw when I put some Xtravisions that I got for the same price as GE OEMs, but I could be just optimistic.

I ramble. Its my first post, I have learned a lot here so far, and look forward to learning more.

Last edited:

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I have to admit over a year ago, I was tempted for a short time and looked into getting an HID kit for my vehicles. I wanted max output for highbeams as I travel many miles on open double divided highway with no oncoming trraffic, with deer and other creatures always wanted to cross my path. If the person didn't know any better, why wouldn't they believe that the very inexpensive DDM (and the like) kits aren't the answer to all the lighting needs and then some. You have very high output for both lamps less than the price of one single gen3 HIR bulb, and various colors to boot.

Fortunately, after doing some research (and it didn't take much effort either) I stumbled on DS's site and became a little more educated on correct lighting. I try to reference the correct information (I have seen Alaric D on the TN forum doing a better job) as much as I can but the ignorance out there is almost overwhelming. I am just glad I live in a relatively low populated region where I don't have to face these ignoramuses blasting uncontrolled light everywhere on our roads.

I did try an experiment with putting a 9005 in the low beam 9006 slot to get an idea of what the output of an HIR would be. However, I found that there was increased upward reflections that were not as evident when I had the 9006 in there. The upward reflection was more pronounced in the rain/snow and that was not worth it for me so I went back to the 9006 and I am OK with the stock output. I would like to try out a set of 9011 HIRs in the high beam but I am hesitant to get them as the stock 9005 output is very good already, and parting with near $50 for a small increase might be not worth it. I thought I noticed a small increase in throw when I put some Xtravisions that I got for the same price as GE OEMs, but I could be just optimistic.

I ramble. Its my first post, I have learned a lot here so far, and look forward to learning more.

Glad to see that this forum and DS's site are educating people. It's sad to see so much ignorance when it comes to proper lighting.

When it comes to brightness, have you ever considered Philips Xtreme Power 9006 bulbs? They're 80% brighter than stock. (I use the H4/9003/HB2 in my vehicle...they're great! :thumbsup:)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If HIRs were not available, I would consider a high efficacy bulb at the right price point. All things considered, if a bulb was double the cost of a stock OEM bulb there had better be a significantly noticeable difference in performance. I have never tried a +80 bulb before, just a +30 (the Xtravisions were $1 more than stock), and I thought I could perceive a difference from stock, but the human eye is a funny thing. We get used to higher light level so easily, and the brightness of the moon and other factors can affect how we translate the light. In an ideal world the extra performance a higher efficacy bulb yielded would be proportional to extra cost, but often it just isn't so.

One other side effect I noticed when trying the 9005 mod was that when I run high beams there was too much foreground light, as it somewhat diminished my ability to see the far distance being illuminated, which was really what matters most on the nearly empty road (except for the odd critter or deer) as my high beams are on for 80% of the drive. Stock worked best for me in terms of retaining the ratio of foreground:distance illumination I wanted, and still performed the best in inclement weather as the stock bulbs didn't give me the unwanted reflections that the 9005 mod did.

I have got 9011 HIR in mind presently for my high beams. I wonder if the new gen 9011 bulb has greater lifespan than the current 9011 does, (just like the new 9012 did) if so, I will have found what I am looking for, and will pull the trigger on a set or two.