• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Please Recommend a Peak light

Mikellen

Enlightened
I have sent a few messages to Curt R requesting him to recommend a light for me. I have not heard from him. Does he typically not answer PMs?

Anyway, here is a copy of my most recent message. Maybe someone can help.

Thanks.

Hello sir,

I don't really know much about your lights so I was wondering if you can recommend a light for me. I'm interested in a single AA powered light that will have a regulated output for most of the time and when the battery starts to get depleted the light will operate in reduced power. This way when the battery starts to die I won't be left in the dark and will have some warning that the battery is getting low. Direct drive would be fine also.
I really would prefer a warm tint, something like a Q4 5B. I also would prefer a floodier beam.
My goal is to have an ultra reliable AA light that is very efficient, warm tint, floodier beam, and somewhere around 10 -15 lumens and also take Alkaline, NIMH, and lithium batteries (L91).

Please give me a rundown of which model, LED type, power level, and any other information that you would suggest for the light I would like to own.

Thank you

fyrstormer

Banned
Peak is way too busy to answer PMs on CPF. They're just a side business of a large machine shop.

I believe you want a low-power El Capitan, in your choice of brass, anodized aluminum, or stainless steel.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think the El Capitan, in medium optic, is what fits your requirements. Call Curt or RMSK and ask him which power level would correspond to 10-15 lumens, and tell him you prefer a warm tint. I'll bet he can get you just what you want.

Calling Peak or RMSK is much more effective than emailing or PM'ing.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak is way too busy to answer PMs on CPF. They're just a side business of a large machine shop.

...and right now the side business is taking on a much bigger life of it's own with new designs and updates to old coming fast.

Mike - The El Capitan might not actually be your preferred option at this point. It's an XP-G based light and their aren't any neutral XP-G's shipping at this time. If you can go with a AAA based light the Eiger is based on the Rebel and has neutral emitters as an option. If you order the wide optic you definitely get floody. Even the medium might be floody enough. Probably power level #2-3. At those power levels you will still have long runtime too. Aside from the battery choice it sounds like it meets your other requirements.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer a warmer tint, the Peak Eiger AAA has a warm tint option. I think the medium optic with a number 4 would satisfy what you are looking for. The medium optic actually is more flood to me.

If you are set on an AA light, the El Captain is a great light. But you cannot get it in a warm tint as of yet. I personally like the whiter tint of the XPG-R5. The narrow optic is similar to a typical reflecortor from what I have seen. Again, a number 4 would give at least the amount of lumens you are looking for if not more.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the recommendations in the above posts are right on.

Curt posted these numbers for power levels 3 and 4 in the Eiger with the Rebel 0080 (which is considerably less efficient than the XP-G now used in both the Eiger and the El Capitan):

#3--------------------------------------------#4 HP?
1xAlk….…58.5 fc…11.5 L--------------------65.9 fc…..…13 L
2xAlk….…68.7 fc…...14 L--------------------78.3 fc….15.5 L
1xNiMH.…55.9 fc…...11 L--------------------63.5 fc….12.5 L
2xNiMH….64.0 fc….…13 L--------------------73.6 fc….…15 L
10280….119.3 fc….…24 L-------------------138.3 fc…27.5 L

Tint preferences are very personal but the neutral Rebel used as an option in the Eiger is not just warm... it's so hot it's practically incandescent - way too warm for my tastes. On the other hand, the tint of the XP-G seems perfect to me.

As for optics, the medium in either the Eiger or El Capitan are real jewels, floody and beautiful. For an almost super floody "wall of light", you can choose the Eiger Wide.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOOOH no - there is an XPG Eiger?? Does anyone have actual confirmation on that?

I wonder how the beam profile looks with the narrow reflector (thats the one I have and like most). The Eiger with pocket body in aluminum is so tiny that it can be carried without notice. Very nice EDC.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll wait for when the El Capitan hopefully becomes available with the neutral tinted XPG.

Thanks again.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
Curt informed me that the last batch of Eigers shipped out were Rebel 0100's, and that all future builds will incorporate the XP-G until something better becomes available. This is news any Peakaholic can appreciate.

thanks for the news!!!.i´m just a couple days from ordering an eiger and a el capitan.

boy feel like lots of luck.happend to me also when the quark changed the xp-e r2 to xp-g r5 :twothumbs:twothumbs