Milwaukee M12 battery cell chemistry

chewy78

Enlightened
I had just bought a Milwaukee M12 screwdriver 2401-20. Would any body know what type of lithium batteries are used in them? I was thinking an 18650 battery of lithium manganese possibly? I was wondering what type of cell i could rebuild them with down the road.

chewy78

Enlightened
it could possibly be "Safe" Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese. What do you guys think?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the answer to the question, but I just discovered that BOTH my M12 batteries that are about 2.5 years old are dead (charger reporting damaged cells) I only charged them about 5-6 maybe 7 times each, I'm going to call Milwaukee on Monday and see what they say. The battery warranty is only 2 years but Ill give it a shot.

chewy78

Enlightened
oh geez thats too bad. maybe they only last a couple of years wether you use them or not. you could try taking one apart and see what kind of lithium cell is used. i hope mine will last a while.

NeutronStar

Newly Enlightened
The cells in one of my dead packs are Moli IMR-18650E. From the data sheet on the Molicel website:

"The IMR18650E cylindrical cell consists of a lithium Manganese oxide positive electrode and a graphitic carbon negative electrode providing 3.8 volts and 1400 mAh"

chewy78

Enlightened
are they welded or soldered in the packs? could a person pry them open and swap out for new batteries?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chewy78,

I think all power tool battery packs have cells spot welded in order to handle the high currents they are subjected to.

Tom

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I don't know the answer to the question, but I just discovered that BOTH my M12 batteries that are about 2.5 years old are dead (charger reporting damaged cells) I only charged them about 5-6 maybe 7 times each, I'm going to call Milwaukee on Monday and see what they say. The battery warranty is only 2 years but Ill give it a shot.

I have 12 and 18 volt Milwaukee tools I use at work. I have had all kinds of problems with them(batteries) over the years, and The local Milwaukee Rep. has replaced them no questions asked. He also told me that Milwaukee is remodeling these batteries and they will be under the same part number, but they will be called "RED"? Anyway I have some of these and no problems so far. Great tools!!!