I need a flashlight that's small and hard to take apart.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a flashlight that\'s small and hard to take apart.

Not kidding at all. My friends' little boy loves flashlights. He's not three yet, but he's been taking things apart for a year now. I bought him a bunch of Photon Is in different colors last year, but now he needs something bigger. He says my E2e is perfect for shining away the monsters, and, since he can hit stuff with it from a distance, it also makes a great "sword"
grin.gif
Everything is a sword right now.
Anyway...he's not getting my E2e, but I want to find him a light that's hard to disassemble, or at least doesn't have alot of parts to get lost when he does get it broken down. I'd give him my Dorcy, but I don't think it's quite bright enough to impress the monsters
wink.gif

Decent brightness is a must! btw, he knows not to shine them in his eyes...likes to shine lights on the wall to look at the beam (maybe we can get him to do some reviews?).

Pretty sure whatever he gets isn't staying in one piece, but he is good about putting things back together. I guess simplicity is really what I'm looking for. Needs to be kid-tough.

So far, looking at the PT Tec 20 and 40.
What else?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: I need a flashlight that\'s small and hard to take apart.

Brinkmann LX? About $20 at Wal Mart. Bright but two 123 batteries cost some.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Walmart has been selling Rayovac 4AA lights that resemble a Tec40 for about $4, batteries included. Its quite bright and with a RadioShack XPR103 bulb, its brighter than a Tec40 as I just found out last night. The plastic construction is relatively strong and for your application, one of its benefits would be that it uses a thumbswitch. This would allow you to torque down the head pretty good so there would be no chance of him taking it apart. Only downside is that I'm not certain as to how waterproof it is. But did I mention that its only 4 dollars?
wink.gif

Mark

Saaby

Flashaholic

Well in a dark room it's got a damn impressive beam (Sit in the dark for 10 minutes and turn one on)..

It's extremely simple...2 parts and small enough to go everywhere. What am I talking about? The amazing Arc AAA of course...but I suppose it's about as bright as a Photon I now isn't it...that could be a problem.

Maybe a PALight? They're quite simple and the super duper focused beam is sure to impress (or depress...has this kid seen Monsters Inc.?) the monsters. Plus with Always on it's easy to find in the dark.

Or, if PALight is no good my final recomendation would have to be Brinkmann Rebel.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Owen-

What a great story. I think we were all "that little boy" at one time or another.

Saaby-

"The happy land of Penguins"? Did you guys have your homecoming this week?

-Jeff

road__kill

Newly Enlightened

X5, hard to break, not many parts and the kid and even take it in the tub!

Saaby

Flashaholic

First of all I'm a Pirate not a Penguin--second of all...no. I'm running Linux. The "Logo" for linux, if you will, is the Linux penguin. SO I am from the happy land of [Linux] penguins
grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened

When I was a kid we had one of those lanterns that screwed on top of a 6V battery, with white (sealed?) beam in front, and red blinker in back. That may have been the light that started the whole thing...

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Roadkill:

I don't think I'd want to have a kid take apart a flashlight with lithium batteries in the bathtub. You are right that the top and bottom of the light seem to be individually waterproof

Also, the X5 negative contact pin that sticks out of the head might be bent or broken when the 3-year old decides to use it as a hammer or to engrave furniture surfaces.

At least there's no small part to lose or swallow (aside from the CR123's which could become a real tummy warmer)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I was a kid we had one of those lanterns that screwed on top of a 6V battery, with white (sealed?) beam in front, and red blinker in back.

You mean like:

powerhead.jpg

I`m not old enough to remember these the first time round, but I have a great apreciation for lights of the Pifco company so couldn`t resist this one on Ebay a little while back. Not a sealed beam but still pretty cool. Probably quite bright for its time. Anyone know where to get those big batteries from? I`ve seen plastic ones whihc should do for now, but do they still do the metal kind?

shocked.gif
grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Owen-

I wish I could be of more help. That is a challenging question. Anything Fisher/Price might do would not be appreciated and most things bright enough would be too heavy to throw at your run-of-the-mill normal monster, or too delicate. I don't own one but what about one of those new Eternalights? Waterproof, light, bright and robust.

Savvy-

Linux? You rule!

Chris M.-

Excellent. What a fine thing to see. Thank you. McGizmo or darell might remember those.

Also, excellent choices in Saturday night refreshments.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Icebreak:
Owen-

I don't own one but what about one of those new Eternalights? Waterproof, light, bright and robust.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's a great idea, I bet a three year old would just love the Raven2 multi color Eternalight.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Minjin:
Walmart has been selling Rayovac 4AA lights that resemble a Tec40 for about $4, batteries included. Its quite bright and with a RadioShack XPR103 bulb, its brighter than a Tec40 as I just found out last night.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This will seem like a silly question but where do I find these bulbs? I would like to upgrade some of the bulbs in some of my lights. And I'm always reading postings refering to changing bulbs. And the prosepct of a $4+ light as good as the PT 40 will give me something to do this weekend.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got back from picking one up at Radio Shack. My buddy needs one now that he has "seen the light"...

Cat No. 272-1182
Extra bright XPR103 Xenon Lamp 3.6v 800ma

www.radioshack.com shows quite a few RadioShacks in your area...

Mark

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

x-ray -

Oh my! I had not thought about that. Talk about scaring a monster. Oh yea! And next Thursday? Well, If anyone sees monsters running wildly down their street demanding candy they are probably fleeing the 3 yr. old Monster Master in Owen's neighborhood! I'm kinda gettin' a little sceered myself.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, guys. Got some more lights to look at! Who says he should only have one, anyway? Keep them coming.

Guess I should pay more attention at Wal-Mart. All I've looked at recently were a Mini-Mag and a Legend Lx. Course I bought both
rolleyes.gif

This big kid's got a Inretech white drop-in, and an UltraStinger on the way, too
grin.gif

Webley-Radio Shack
edit: you can tell I'm watching a football game. Two replies while I sit here.
edit2: I don't think he's scared of the monsters. He likes to boss them around. Apparently he believes you can never have too much firepower, though. I mean...candlepower.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the Etrenalight. You have to have a little bitty screwdriver to take it apart. He'ld love the Raven. TX

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Owen:
I want to find him a light that's hard to disassemble
Decent brightness is a must!
Needs to be kid-tough.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Coleman used to make a small 2 AA light that is pretty hard to disassemble...takes some real thumb strength. I've got one. Haven't seen it in stores lately though. It would be a pretty good light for this purpose.

doubleganger

Enlightened

I suggest a cmg reactor. The head won't come apart at all. the only removeable part is the tailcap for inserting batteries. You could even put a hose clamp around the tailcap joint and i promise there's not a single thing he can take apart. Reactors are plenty tough. The stress test described on another thread that was required to finially kill one was ridiculous. They make light for a really long time on a set of 2AA batteries. It might be just too bright with lithiums though.

Kirk

Enlightened

Chris M.,
Rayovac still makes the metal cased batteries (part # 918). Duracell's # for the alkaline version is MN918. I paid about $7 US for the Rayovac, so what's that where you live? About 30 Pounds Sterling?
wink.gif

Kirk