HELP deciding bike light.

TravisLight

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I need help deciding something over at 4seven.com

My needs is for bike that will lasted for 2-3 hours on high output.
I probably will be needing several lights for the throw, flood so it will cover far near sight. I use helmet but should i put light also?
Road has no street light for it will be very dark, It's more like mountain road.
what items should i get?

Thanks.

These are what i pick, should i get other?

(3 Pack) Bike/Helmet Flashlight Mounts - TwoFish Bikeblock
$16.49

Fenix TK40 [F.TK40]

Fenix TK30 [F.TK30]

Fenix 360 Bike Mount
$15.00

tomwoh

Newly Enlightened
I have the fenix 360 bike mount. It's really good quality. I don't think it will hold a TK40 however.

TravisLight

Newly Enlightened
how about TK30? Will it hold?
If i cant use that TK series, then what do you suggest i get?
What about the 3 pack mount?
With what will it do any good? Any certain lights?

ibbleobble

Newly Enlightened
Hey, wow if you can afford a TK40, they put out alot of light. I use a mount off Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Flashlight-Torch-Headlight-Mount-for-Bike-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ170450240269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Cycling_Accessories?hash=item27afa0430d#ht_3197wt_782

I got one like that, and a torch from DX:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

The torch is super bright, and seems to be waterproof - I used it underwater for catching prawns the other day. Its great for cycling too, because its so floody. it only lasts about an hour on high though, if that. You could get two or even three, and use them on medium for longer life, or alternate when the battery runs out. they're that much cheaper than a Fenix. Still, the Fenix would be really cool.

By the way, I've read bad things about the Fenix mount on forums - apparently, they come loose and they're fiddly to mount the light each time. But no first hand experience. Its surprising, because I have a Fenix LD20, and the quality is flawless.

Happy shopping

sheppie62

Newly Enlightened
Beware if ordering from Deal Extreme

I ordered a magicshine p7 bike light from DX extreme over 3 months ago! (11/29/09) , still haven't received. I canceled order yesterday, I wonder how many months it will take to get refund if ever.:scowl:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Travis,
those Fenix lights are really big eh? And heavy, lots of mass to move around.
Do not use fenix tk30/tk40 for bycicle light- they are too heavy and moves around a lot when you stop, go over bump, turn corner...

The twofishblocks are fantastic, really effective holders that I use for myself and my partner. But you could be asking too much of a single attachement point slinging a great big light to it like the tk-30/40.
Only option I agree with is horizontal mount parrallel to frame starting just after front fork - use 2 lockblocks and you can get decent stablility for the light this way. Otherwise IMHO single 18650 is max for cylcing with any speed.

1)First choice for bright with long run-time is to carry 2nd set of batteries. Change batteries when 1st set fails, it is a much nicer set-up.

2)look up cpf user 'Turboferret' He sells a 4x18650 battery pack and adapter to fit inside regular DX P7 light. Very easy for new user, 4x18650 gives you 4 hours at 2A output, which is lots of light for very long time.

3)how much skill do you have with electronics? Very easy to set-up a nice battery pack with a few nihm C cells, or some 18650 cells. Then you run wire to your handle-bar mounted light.

AVOID any commercial / advertized bike-light set-ups. They underperform and over charge. You are going right route with twofish lockblocks, just need to work out how you'll do lights and batteries.

Best,
Linger

TravisLight

Newly Enlightened
So i manage to pick there.. please feel free to comments. Thanks.

1 x Fenix 360 Bike Mount (F.Bike) = $15.00
1 x Keep2Go Variety Pack (4 pcs) (GO-var) = $20.00
1 x (3 Pack) Bike/Helmet Flashlight Mounts - TwoFish Bikeblock (3xbike180) = $16.49
1 x Fenix TA21 (F.TA21) = $97.95
1 x Fenix L2T v2.0 Q2 Black (F.L2T-V2) = $49.50
3 x AW's R18650 2600mah (AW.18650B) = $57.00
1 x USB Rechargeable AA, 1.2V 1450mAh (2-pack) (USBAA-2) = $15.00
1 x Zebralight H60 Headlamp (Z.H60) = $99.00