Simple quark headlamp DIY suggestion

jankj

Enlightened
Looking at a spare quark AA body tube with clip and end caps I realized I had a very simple DIY project in my hand:

• the clip has a slot in it. Insert two bolts and you can mount it to anything

• or use the clip as is, secure with rubber bands or zip ties.

I have an old headlamp with 5mm LEDs where it is really easy to mount a steel clamp that will fit all these arrangements nicely.

• It should be fairly easy to make a reliable electrical connection some with unanodized aluminium on the body - you probably don't have to cut anything if you use the clip / clip retaining ring (that is screwed on with unanodized threads. Or you could just drill a hole.

• It should be fairly easy to make a reliable electrical connection for the positive terminal: Use a steel / copper bolt cut to length, wrap lots of electrical tape around it until it fits snugly inside the body tube. Drill a hole in the end cap for the wire.
Now we add a switch and use the existing battery compartment (3*AA). Screw on a regular or tactical quark head and - Voila, a fully functional headlamps with the spec's I want.

I do have a slight twitch by exceeding the 0.9-4.2 volt spec ever so little with fresh batteries, even if it will be just for a few minutes. I still have the option of shorting out one of the 3 battery slots, leaving me with a 2*AA quark headlamp. Which still is a great thing. But the run time of a 3*AA quark headlamp would be AWESOME :)

For further refinement, buy yourself a quark 18650 tube with end caps:
- Drill a hole in each end cap.
- Improvise an electrical connection at each end.
- Toss the 3*AA compartment, hook up the 18650 body tube.

Voila, a quark 18650 headlamp :)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOh Im liking this idea!

the XPG beam pattern of my qmini 123 would
make a perfect HL..

post pics if you end up doing this please!!

jankj

Enlightened
Well, the Qmini is small enough to fit nicely in a nitecore D10 headband. Or this idea should work: http://www.benvelo.com/flashlightholder_mini_1.htm. Or you could use an old headlamp and just zip-tie it... or some other patent to the same effect.

I intend to use the old black diamond moonlight as backbone for this project. Detailed review here: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewblackdiamondmoonlight.html
Lots of detailed pictures. Note in particular how the hinge mechanism works for tilting the light: A solid metal bolt through plastic casing. It just begs for modification and upgrade. I'll make a simple metal bracket to will replace the lamp assembly. Super easy.

It doesn't exactly hurt that the headlamp is comfortable to wear and has an OK 3*AA battery case.

Last edited: