List the BEST/WORST flashlight purchases you have made.

stallion2

Enlightened
I've been wanting to start this thread for awhile now. It's nothing more than another attempt at dissemintating information in a concise manner that is centered around one simple piece of criteria. Think of the lights you own or have owned and which ones really stand out as having exceeded your expectations, and for that matter list some lights that you feel were a waste of money. I'm a hippocrate for asking this but try to keep any explanations you wish to offer as short as you reasonably can. PM's are probably the best way to get more information w/out cluttering this thread too much.
Obviously I'll go first:

LIGHTS THAT I REGRET:
-Nitecore Smart PD20 (R2 version)...the UI is awesome but its pretty heavy for its size and mine just doesn't seem to be very bright, 200lm...no way.
-IncenDio V3...great build quality but runs pretty hot, smaller than it has to be to EDC, i just don't use it much.

LIGHTS I FELT WERE WORTH MORE THAN I PAID:
-LX2...its my EDC, as close to perfect as any light i've used, a bargain, even at $200.
-4sevens Quark 123^2 Turbo...this light turned out to be amazing, beam quality is unbelievable, actual output seems considerably higher than they claim.
-Fenix LD20...very light, very bright, best beam i've seen w/ an XR-E
-my Dereelight DBS's...so many great lights from a small collection of different parts, its like i've been able to fit 10-15 different lights into a 1150 Pelican case
-Olight M30...best use of an MC-E...my go-to BRIGHT light.
-Energizer Night Strike, Swivel Light....makes an awesome utility light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Worth more:
- McLux Ti PD-S Mizer... if you judge a light by how much it gets carried and used, the PD-S is my best
- Olight M30 Triton... didn't pay a cent for it, instead traded useful information for a light, also now my favorite light cannon
- Surefire C2... or 6P... most upgradeable light I own
- Surefire Saint... finally a headlamp with the UI a headlamp deserves, and better yet, dual fuel capable
- Quark 123 Mini... are you kidding, under $40 for a top notch light that performs with the best of them? how can it not be on my list

Worth less:
- Fenix P1D... the jump in size from the P1 changed it from a desireable pocket/keyring light to being unpleasantly bulky, not to mention the annoying strobe/SOS modes.
- Maglite Solitaire... who are we kidding, even before Surefire, Arc, Fenix, 4sevens, the Soli was still a terrible light. At least the Minimag had its good days, but the Soli? Never.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
From Your Sig Line,

"The lights we own end up owning us." so very, very true in my case. Personally, I am having a hard time choosing my worst lights because I have found them all to be useful tools and the ones that I don't particularly like have taught me something but I love them just the same.

As for my most EDC'd and therefore my most liked I will have to say would be my;
Peak 3 LED Matterhorn-xxx
Peak7 LED McKinley
Peak 3 LED Red Shasta
Peak 1 Led Cyan Shasta
Peak Caribbean
Lunasol 20-xxx
Surefire E1B-xxx
Surefire E1E
Jetbeam Jet 1 Pro warm emitter

The three xxx=most EDC usage, others are in rotation and or preference for how am feeling at the time.

mrartillery

Enlightened
I love about all of my purchases, hadnt had to many regrets so far, but i guess the one that sticks out the most was the Pila GL4. I bought a couple years ago when i was really getting into flashlights and the 550 lumen figure enticed me. I kept it for about a month and got rid of it, reasons being is mainly because it was the ugliest light i had ever seen, too big to carry, which is the main reason i wanted it and the brightness ddint live up to my expectations. Oh well, live and learn! :oops:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Best:
Surefire, Mag, Eagletac, ITP, Gerber, Zebralight, Solarforce, HID spotlights, Romisen, Fenix, DX junk for DIY modding... its all good by me:twothumbs

Worst:
This thing I paid $25 for:thumbsdow
dscn9696la7.jpg

Second worst:
This Dorcy 3AAA, flood to throw... YUK
dscn0019fm0.jpg

To think I paid almost $40 combined for these last two turds:sick2::broke:

Some surprises along the way:
These 3AAA Dorcy showerheads have been surprisingly useful. They run forever on alkalines, survived a load of laundry and my 2 destructive kids beat them to he11 and back. I am NOT a fan of 3AAA lights in any way, shape or form:sick2:... but these have surprised me. I have several scattered throughout the house.
dscn5993q.jpg

This Joby, 3AA, Cree XPE has been surprisingly useful. Infinitely variable dimmer switch, regulated output, ~50L OTF, magnetic mount feet.
dscn2359q.jpg

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I love my LL P7, X2000, LL K3 and my Solarforce L2M SS SE lights except for one. Worst, my maglite AA incan is almost no use now.

wingnut86

Banned
Best Purchase
Surefire G2...A $40 thing of beauty.

Light I was not too Happy With
Fenix TK20...A $60 disappointment.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My biggest regret was the Fenix TK20. Huge waste of dough for me. Wouldn't buy it again even if it was only ten bucks. I hated the browny yellow tint, hated it. I also detested the fact that it was shaped like a Colonel Sanders drumstick and had a wierd balance in the hand plus a clip in an absolutely useless (to me) place. A shame because it probably had the best fit and finish and the best shaped beam with the best reflector of any torch I ever bought.

My best has been my new MkII p20c2 with OP, a beam just so smooth and bright and a superb UI. I do hate that straight ribbed knurling though, looks like a hack job and feels like a hack job. My Led lenser p17 cost a lot but does its job of looking a lonnnng way downrange very well too. My Quark 123 R2 is pretty darned useful too.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Best purchases:
For virtually unlimited upgradeability, a SureFire C3 ($57 on Ebay) and a SureFire 6P w/ McC2S Z41 tailcap. Also the SureFire L1. Oh, and a SureFire G3 LED ($50 on CPF/MP). Hmm, there seems to be a common theme in this list...

Worst purchase by far:
The Maglite Solitaire (a very long time ago). I still don't know how they get away with selling these things.

Last edited:

LupinIII

Enlightened
Best purchases for me have included the bulk of my lights, from my first nice torch (a few years ago) - Fenix L2D - to my latest - Surefire E1B. In between there have been more Fenix and Surefire in addition to some Nitecore and Jetbeams.

In between, I've also had a few lights that were not my cup of tea. So, my relatively worst purchases were a Quark 123 and Fenix P1D. Don't get me wrong, these are nice, but the Fenix is not rechargeable friendly and the Quark feels fragile.

I've been pretty fortunate, and it helps that I do at least an hour of research before any purchase.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been happy with all of my purchases except my 2xAA Mag LED, first generation... utter garbage!, It currently sits in a drawer so as not to infect my other lights. :D

apete2

Newly Enlightened
Best: 4D mag for ROP mod (can use mag 6 cell bulb, ROP low/hi, $4 6v Everready lantern at Lowes + 2.99 mag 4 cell Xenon bulb, minimag AA with streamlight bulb, dorcy 220 until I left it on a bench by accident, B&D 6v halogen spot light

Worst: many $1 2D cell incans that only lasted a few days, streamlight twin task rechargeble (too floody on bulb for me), AAA minimag (threads way too loose)

csa

Enlightened
Best: anything made by Arc., McGizmo, Surefire.

Worst: Anything I bought before I got to CPF :D

Darvis

Enlightened
Good: Almost too many to list, but my Electron Guru/Malkoff 6P's, Peaks (all of them), Dereelight CL1H V4 and DBV3, and Orb wee NS lead the way. The Jetbeam M1X get an honorary mention.

The bad: I've had bad luck with Nitecore; D10's with really fast ramping, a DI that hates 14500's, and an EX10 that has a terribly hard to use piston. The Ti Preon was also a bummer, crappiest threads EVER!!! ugh, it makes my teeth hurt just twisting it. (think nails on a chalk board)

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I most regret wasting my money on the EagleTac M2CX4. While it performed well, the selector ring was terrible with the accidental strobing.

My best purchase was my Serv-Light caving headlamp.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best purchases probably would be my SureFire lights...although I am pretty happy with most of my lights.

Off the top of my head, the worst purchases likely would include the Trek 7 and Trek 19 lights (bet most of you young 'uns never even heard of these lights). They were nice lights, rather expensive and sort of cutting edge at the time (about 9 years or so ago)...probably couldn't give them away now (to flashaholics anyway). Sigh.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Best for me would be my Surefire C2 with an M60. an Honorable mention would also have to got to the Skyray SR 5 from DX. The quality is as good as Solarforce and at the moment its my brightest single LED flashlight even surpassing my Malkoff (similar beams also). All that for around $20.
My worst would be a Brinkman AAA flashlight that I bought years ago. It never truly worked and my frustration with that light led me to CPF.

duboost

Enlightened
I most regret wasting my money on the EagleTac M2CX4. While it performed well, the selector ring was terrible with the accidental strobing.
The strobe issue irritated me with this light too. Luckily there is a fix. Just unscrew the head and adjust where the screws are mounted in this pic and voila! no more strobe!

For my list...
Best:
ITP A3. For the price, size, and brightness, this one is tough to beat

TK20. Im surprised to see this one on some people's worst lists. At ~$50 its a great light for the money imo. Nice tint, good grip, good throw, and built like a tank.

Quark MiNi123 Ti. Tiny, bright as heck, and titanium for <$70?! Actually all my quarks I feel are great lights for the money.

Olight M30. While i have other MC-E lights that are brighter and will out throw this one, the difference in size is priceless. Compared to my other "big" lights, this one feels so compact and it still gives off a wall of light.

Worst:
Just about every light i've ordered from DX.

LoM

Newly Enlightened
A world of miracle and magnets (or in Portugal)
My worst buy it is not 1, but 3.

Few years ago bought a great led flashlight (3 x AAA) at the local chinese shop. Was impressed how much brighter it was than my old minimags.

Used the cheap chinese light for a week or so until it got wet in the rain and then puuufff. Not happy with it, bought a second unit that last as much as the first one. Being hard to learn, bought a third one that ended just as quickly as the first two. No need to say, those 3 were the worst buy I have ever made.

My best buy are 2

Finally understood that cheap chinese lights were not the solution was looking for. Found CPF and bough a CMG (?) Infinity + Fenix L1D. Although I gave away the infinity to a friend (still regret that error) both lights are running strong and used almost in a daily basis.

Today I have brighter and more expensive lights but always regard those two as the best buys have ever made.