Leaving flashlights with batteries in the car in the summer

Advil

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. I've been lurking around for a while and I've finally gotten a couple flashlights. I have a EDC bag that I keep a couple lights in, and a light in the glove box of my car. Texas summers get extremely hot and I'm worried about leaving my bag with lights and all in there during the day. I've been reading about batteries and I know that alkalines are definitely not an option. So I've been looking at non-rechargeable lithium (energizer) and Nimh (eneloops).

The energizer box says that they're very durable and can withstand up to 140ºF so that made me feel good about them being in the car, but I'd rather have rechargeables and was looking at replacing them with eneloops when the die. Will NiMh batteries survive this kind of heat? Will the flashlight even survive this?

I figure the lights themselves won't mind the heat since LED's get so hot anyway, I just don't want batteries exploding in my light/car/hand!

Thanks

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
I'll jump in as an interested person that wants to know as well since i'm in oklahoma and currently have a single AA with alkalines chilling in the truck at this time. :laughing:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got a couple old lights running alkalines in the car. Haven't had a problem yet, but I do check them maybe three times a month. Do that and make sure they aren't that old and I think it's okay. Lithium batteries, of course, are the ideal choice for hot or cold conditions.

Geoff

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep some primary lithium cells in the glovebox. I think if they're out of the sun, you should be okay.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
typically I wouldn't leave expensive lights in a vehicle, a few cheap useful ones, occasionally taking better ones when you are going somewhere more than usual. I check my lights after each season, once in the spring and once in the fall as the drastic change in weather has ended. I recommend at least checking twice a year if you use alkaline batteries for both leakage and if the batteries are good. weak batteries should be removed immediately because when they are dead the chance of leakage increases tremendously IMO.

hoongern

Enlightened
I am too in the search for good cells for the car. Do lithiums (i.e. CR123 or AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums) have a significantly shortened lifespan in hot conditions?

What I've been doing for now is using cheap alkalines, but I keep them out of the light in a separate small ziplock bag, so that if they leak, it won't damage the light. Of course, this requires extra time to use the light as you have to put in the cells first before turning it on, and taking them out when you're done.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Got two 2xD incans, 1xAA led using both alkaline in my car. I haven't encounter any problems of them since I put them in my car and it's been more than a year now. I checked them once a month for battery leakage but they still in good shape. Not to mention the car is always under the sun from work or house.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a couple of torches in the car ... I have a Saiko SA-8 (Li-Ion 18650) in the glove compartment and a Zhongsheng (3AAA Hybrio LSD) in the door pocket ... They are checked about once a month or so and I will charge the cells as and when necessary ... I will probably charge them up about twice a year, maybe just before Winter and Summer.

If the car gets too warm then the self-discharge rate will increase, so I might have to consider charging twice in the Summer just to be certain.

I always have my EDC with me though, just in case.

fizzwinkus

Newly Enlightened
I was curious if anyone had experience with cr123s (primaries) in a texas summer? i've got an m2sc4 in the glove compartment and have been thinking about that a lot lately.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the battery is going to be subjected to harsh conditions, I would go with lithium primary. There's no need to use NiMH when the light won't be used often and it will be stored for long periods of time. Assuming you have your EDC, the glovebox light shouldn't be used often, so the rechargeables won't be used to their full potential ;)

I would just check up on the voltage of the primaries every year or so to make sure they still have a charge, or maybe even swap them into your EDC and put a fresh set in the car.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping batteries in the car.

Today , I did some measurements of the temperatures inside the car with a temperature in the shade of 69.8F (21C).

The car was left in the sun with all the windows closed for just over two hours with the sun shining on the black dashboard top.

The temperatures were taken with an infrared thermometer which I know is accurate to within a couple of degrees at 100C.

The dashboard top measured 149.0F (65C).
A glasses case in the top of the glove-box measured 124.5F (51.4C).
A torch (Trustfire F20) in the bottom of the glove-box measured 111.5F (44.2C)

Bear in mind that the outside air temperature in the shade was only 69.8F (21C) ... The interior heats up way beyond what I thought I would measure.

On a hot day , say in the eighties , who knows what the temperatures would be.

As it is , the bottom of the glove-box is already near the maximum temperature quoted for Lithium cells ... I might have to put a storage bin under one of the front seats to keep a torch in , unless someone has a better hiding place that would be cooler ... It would be preferable to have the torches ready to hand rather than being kept in with the spare wheel under the boot floor.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Keeping batteries in the car.

yes why is that under the seat i always find is cooler. no direct sun hitting under the seat , there is a bunch of insulation (seat) between the sun heater and the underside of the seat, the other side (floor) is in the shade, and hot air rises (or stays up).

Cars in california in direct sun with windows closed are always to high (for batteries) , without making some changes. trunks are not cooler ever from what i have seen, glove boxes are to close to the sun heater above it, AND are also often effected by the cars Heater venting internally.

allowing air entry (at risk of some criminal seeing window down a crack) using REFLECTIVE sun shades , is best, stop the heater (sun) from getting in. i am easily leaving my lights with batteries in my car, because even in 100*+ temps my car is agressivly shaded with reflection and the windows can be down 1/4" just enough to allow convection air to move a bit. plus parking in the shade and happily walking.

link to things i am talking about
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3934861
roll down side window sun shaders , clip them on before leaving car, sometimes is impractical or illegal to use while driving.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JM79G/?tag=cpf0b6-20
like these things, not white stuff or logoed, full reflection, this style also is insulative too, and getting the Big ones (truck size) instead of ones that leave gaps everywhere.
using these things in both front and back.

links for the pictures , to get the idea. with this stuff you can also save wear and tear on your AC and Gas itself as you no longer have to run the ac so hard to get re-cooled again.
a Pound of Prevention and maintance is cheaper than any medicine :)

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

allowing air entry (at risk of some criminal seeing window down a crack) using REFLECTIVE sun shades , is best, stop the heater (sun) from getting in.
Depending on what you drive, vent visors for the side window(s) allow you to roll the windows down a bit and reduce the risk of criminal activity (also keeps rain out should it rain).

My vehicle is parked in an open parking lot all day and the vent visors allow me to let the really hot air out of the car.

I keep a light (with Energizer L91 lithium cells) in the door pocket and some spare cells in the glove box.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might try putting a piece of white material on top of the dashboard when I leave it next time ... It should hopefully keep the glove-box cooler.

If you leave windows slightly down on some cars , the alarm system is triggered by the breeze.

Today was dull and wet , so I couldn't re-check my temperatures ... I was going to check under the front seat plus in the boot too ... It would mean putting the car out into the sun as it is usually in the shade of the house ... I will try again when the sun comes out next.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened

I wonder:

You can buy the reflective solar shield (such as you show for the windshield) in large sheets from a hardware store.

What result do you think we would see if you placed a sheet of it between the vehicle headliner & roof? Has anyone tried this to see if it helped reduce radiant heat from the roof of the car?