• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Haiku XP-G Finishes Comparison

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know when I first became interested in Don's Haiku, I had a very difficult time in deciding which finish to get.
I now have both the normal and Bead Blasted version of the Haiku XP-G so I thought I would help out other people who are suffering from the same dilemma.
I tell you what though, the clip on the Bead Blasted version, is simply amazing! :faint:
The last image is that of a SunDrop XR-U, I have added this to show the differences in the clips! :)

Up first, my first McGizmo!
The standard finished Haiku XP-G!

P1183199.jpg

P1183193.jpg

P1183201.jpg

Now Bask in the beauty of the Haiku XP-G w/Bead Blasted finish! :D

P3053343.jpg

P3053344.jpg

P3053345.jpg

And last but not least, a picture of my SunDrop XR-U to show a comparison between the two clips!

P2043251.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the pictures :)
I also help that some people may find this thread helpful with their future acquisitions, of Don's marvelous lights!

Jared

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Fantastic pics man, beautiful lights. Makes me want to go grab the Haiku and caress her... :kiss:

EDIT: I cant wait to have green grass again!!!! Nice lawn!

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments guys! :twothumbs

I can say that I love both of the finishes, but the BB just has something about it!

It screams class and beauty! :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Those BB do look great. i would like to see one after a lot of hard EDC use.

I for one love the way my 03/2007 Ti PD-S looks. When looking up close it is scratched all over, but from about three feet it looks new. Incredible!! :twothumbs

csa

Enlightened
I also am curious about how the two finishes hold up over time given hard use. I imagine the smooth finish probably pretty rapidly stabilizes into a patina of small and larger scratches, but I don't know how the BB finish handles that. I'd worry about larger scratches being more visible.

Of course, that doesn't really matter, since most of these live on the shelf... which is very sad for me :p

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey DimeRazorback! How's that BB finish holding up? Help me move one step closer to a Haiku please. :grin2: :devil:

SFfanman

Enlightened
Great pics DRB! You might want to move this over to another post already started titled : Bead Blasted or Shiny??. Also, the thread titled "I love my Haiku more and more" is also a candidate as it is praise for that specific light w/ commentary, pics, and the like. :shrug:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
ninemm - The finish is holding up well so far. The one in the pictures is my shelf queen, however I have since bought a Warm BB model and it has been my edc for a few weeks now. I gave my original haiku (the one in the pics) to the missus, and she has given it a better beating than me! :D

So far, my BB EDC is holding up well and still looks new.

If you like the different texture look, and that beatiful clip I would highly recommend going the BB route. It just adds another level to the art work.

SFfanman - I actually started this thread three months before yours :p
With that said, if I get a chance later on today I will post some of them in your thread :)

davec611

Newly Enlightened
I am following the finish threads very closely. I have set aside enough to get a Haiku in the next couple of weeks. It will be a user and I plan to carry it daily so I want the finish that will hold up best or be the "best" to refinish if I ever wanted.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am following the finish threads very closely. I have set aside enough to get a Haiku in the next couple of weeks. It will be a user and I plan to carry it daily so I want the finish that will hold up best or be the "best" to refinish if I ever wanted.

davec611,

The best finish to use daily and to "refinish" would be the regular finish.

The BB could be refinished , but that would require a complete dis-assembly of the light to bead blast it and sanding down the high spots.

I have both finishes of the Haiku and really light them both.

:thumbsup:

fabienne

Enlightened
Never have the Haiku original finish, only the BB version. But it seems after having EDC it for almost two weeks, BB version is holding up quite well compared to my Ti-Preon which get scratched easily. Other than marks on shiny part, most part with BB finish is still as good as new.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
davec611,

The best finish to use daily and to "refinish" would be the regular finish.

The BB could be refinished , but that would require a complete dis-assembly of the light to bead blast it and sanding down the high spots.

I have both finishes of the Haiku and really light them both.

:thumbsup:

I have 'em both, and I agree with coloradogps. In day in and day out normal use, they both hold up well. But let's say you drop one :)sick2:) on concrete or something, and get a deeper scratch...the plain titanium can be scotchbrite or sandpaper treated, then polished, and it'll look as good as or close to as good as new. If that happened to the bead blast and you gave it the same treatment, you'd probably be converting the damaged area of the light from BB to 'plain.'

That said, I love 'em both and would NEVER drop either!!:faint: And they both sure are purty!!! :twothumbs

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just felt like taking a picture from my Haiku BB with the 2xAA pak... :cool:

72ueme.jpg

Doesn't it look sexy? It has the advantage as well, that it doesn't have such a big bead blasted surface as the 123 pak which could get a nasty scratch.

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
That said, I love 'em both and would NEVER drop either!!:faint: And they both sure are purty!!! :twothumbs

Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!! :thumbsup:

davec611

Newly Enlightened
Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!! :thumbsup:

Good to hear! I will use this on and off duty and you never know what a day will bring. ;)

GregWormald

Enlightened
let's say you drop one :)sick2:) on concrete or something, and get a deeper scratch...the plain titanium can be scotchbrite or sandpaper treated, then polished, and it'll look as good as or close to as good as new. If that happened to the bead blast and you gave it the same treatment, you'd probably be converting the damaged area of the light from BB to 'plain.'

That's true, but I suspect that the "If" is quite large--the BB sections are the recessed sections and hence the least likely to strike a hard or abrasive surface, and some are so recessed you'd have trouble reaching them at all without a special tool.

I love the BB finish.

Greg