Unique Titanium

Thread: McGizmo Haiku XP-G Finishes Comparison

Default McGizmo Haiku XP-G Finishes Comparison

I know when I first became interested in Don's Haiku, I had a very difficult time in deciding which finish to get.
    I now have both the normal and Bead Blasted version of the Haiku XP-G so I thought I would help out other people who are suffering from the same dilemma.
    I tell you what though, the clip on the Bead Blasted version, is simply amazing!
    The last image is that of a SunDrop XR-U, I have added this to show the differences in the clips!

Up first, my first McGizmo!
    The standard finished Haiku XP-G!

Now Bask in the beauty of the Haiku XP-G w/Bead Blasted finish!

And last but not least, a picture of my SunDrop XR-U to show a comparison between the two clips!

I hope you all enjoy the pictures
    I also help that some people may find this thread helpful with their future acquisitions, of Don's marvelous lights!

Jared

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Default Re: McGizmo Haiku XP-G Finishes Comparison

Fantastic pics man, beautiful lights. Makes me want to go grab the Haiku and caress her...

EDIT: I cant wait to have green grass again!!!! Nice lawn!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic

I'm so glad I ordered a BB.

Don says it's been sent.

Now all I have to do is wait for delivery to Australia.

Greg

Thanks for the comments guys!

I can say that I love both of the finishes, but the BB just has something about it!

It screams class and beauty!

Those BB do look great. i would like to see one after a lot of hard EDC use.

I for one love the way my 03/2007 Ti PD-S looks. When looking up close it is scratched all over, but from about three feet it looks new. Incredible!!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

I also am curious about how the two finishes hold up over time given hard use. I imagine the smooth finish probably pretty rapidly stabilizes into a patina of small and larger scratches, but I don't know how the BB finish handles that. I'd worry about larger scratches being more visible.

Of course, that doesn't really matter, since most of these live on the shelf... which is very sad for me :P
    EDC E1B, Tigerlight w/LED dropin for when I need more light. Love my new Zebralight H30 for floody tasks and my Quark Mini123 for being awesomely small and bright.

Hey DimeRazorback! How's that BB finish holding up? Help me move one step closer to a Haiku please.

Great pics DRB! You might want to move this over to another post already started titled : Bead Blasted or Shiny??. Also, the thread titled "I love my Haiku more and more" is also a candidate as it is praise for that specific light w/ commentary, pics, and the like.

ninemm - The finish is holding up well so far. The one in the pictures is my shelf queen, however I have since bought a Warm BB model and it has been my edc for a few weeks now. I gave my original haiku (the one in the pics) to the missus, and she has given it a better beating than me!

So far, my BB EDC is holding up well and still looks new.

If you like the different texture look, and that beatiful clip I would highly recommend going the BB route. It just adds another level to the art work.

SFfanman - I actually started this thread three months before yours
    With that said, if I get a chance later on today I will post some of them in your thread

DRB -

Flashaholic

I would love to own a McGizmo one day!

I am following the finish threads very closely. I have set aside enough to get a Haiku in the next couple of weeks. It will be a user and I plan to carry it daily so I want the finish that will hold up best or be the "best" to refinish if I ever wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by davec611 View Post
    I am following the finish threads very closely. I have set aside enough to get a Haiku in the next couple of weeks. It will be a user and I plan to carry it daily so I want the finish that will hold up best or be the "best" to refinish if I ever wanted.
    davec611,

The best finish to use daily and to "refinish" would be the regular finish.

The BB could be refinished , but that would require a complete dis-assembly of the light to bead blast it and sanding down the high spots.

I have both finishes of the Haiku and really light them both.

Flashaholic

Never have the Haiku original finish, only the BB version. But it seems after having EDC it for almost two weeks, BB version is holding up quite well compared to my Ti-Preon which get scratched easily. Other than marks on shiny part, most part with BB finish is still as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by coloradogps View Post
    davec611,

The best finish to use daily and to "refinish" would be the regular finish.

The BB could be refinished , but that would require a complete dis-assembly of the light to bead blast it and sanding down the high spots.

I have both finishes of the Haiku and really light them both.

I have 'em both, and I agree with coloradogps. In day in and day out normal use, they both hold up well. But let's say you drop one () on concrete or something, and get a deeper scratch...the plain titanium can be scotchbrite or sandpaper treated, then polished, and it'll look as good as or close to as good as new. If that happened to the bead blast and you gave it the same treatment, you'd probably be converting the damaged area of the light from BB to 'plain.'

That said, I love 'em both and would NEVER drop either!! And they both sure are purty!!!

I just felt like taking a picture from my Haiku BB with the 2xAA pak...

Doesn't it look sexy? It has the advantage as well, that it doesn't have such a big bead blasted surface as the 123 pak which could get a nasty scratch.
    Last edited by Henk_Lu; 07-10-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Adapting Photo...
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    That said, I love 'em both and would NEVER drop either!! And they both sure are purty!!!

Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Quote Originally Posted by souptree View Post
    Why not? They'll take it. My lights have kissed granite a number of times with no terrible consequences. I don't chuck them across the room, but I don't baby them by any means. 4 years EDC and I put mine through the paces.

Use them!!
    Good to hear! I will use this on and off duty and you never know what a day will bring.

Flashaholic

let's say you drop one () on concrete or something, and get a deeper scratch...the plain titanium can be scotchbrite or sandpaper treated, then polished, and it'll look as good as or close to as good as new. If that happened to the bead blast and you gave it the same treatment, you'd probably be converting the damaged area of the light from BB to 'plain.'
    That's true, but I suspect that the "If" is quite large--the BB sections are the recessed sections and hence the least likely to strike a hard or abrasive surface, and some are so recessed you'd have trouble reaching them at all without a special tool.

I love the BB finish.

Greg

Why not? They'll take it.
    Very true, Ti is really tough and so are Don's lights.

Use them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregWormald View Post
    That's true, but I suspect that the "If" is quite large--the BB sections are the recessed sections and hence the least likely to strike a hard or abrasive surface, and some are so recessed you'd have trouble reaching them at all without a special tool.

I love the BB finish.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by Roccomo View Post
    Very true, Ti is really tough and so are Don's lights.
    No doubt all of you are correct. And I use mine, too, and I don't 'baby' them. But there's no shame in being protective of them! I use my car every day, but try my best to avoid scratches on it. I ride my bike, but try my best not to drop it or crash...

I use all my lights, and they range from HA aluminum to titanium - and the same care is exercised with all of them.

The original question was, "which finish...". As I stated, I love them both - and I own them both - but as coloradogps stated, the plain finish is easier to clean up.

To each his own....

Use them!!

I like the "kissing granite" part. It is great to know there is proof that the lights can take it and haven't gone . I try to uphold that philosophy: "This is a high-quality lighting tool with which can be treated like any other - toss in the tool box, throw it in the bed of a car, slide it along the ground to meet the hands of a mechanic's assistant" kind of light. Unfortunately, my eyes convince my brain that she need to be treated with care. I am working on it though as it is more a mental thing than anything else. Either way, still diggin the regular finish and enjoying all the commentaries.

Anyone be interested in a 'Haiku user-story' thread similiar to the 'What did you use your light today?' one?

the plain finish is easier to clean up.
    Agreed. I like keeping mine (LS 20) looking new and it's an EDC user that's hit the ground a few times. Never had a problem removing a dent/ding or scratch. I don't think I could touch up the bead blast myself though. Cool looking as it is.

Well that settles it a normal finish Haiku XP-G warm is my choice. I should be able to order it within 2 weeks.

I have a Sapphire that should be delivered tomorrow to hold me over.

Quote Originally Posted by Roccomo View Post
    Agreed. I like keeping mine (LS 20) looking new and it's an EDC user that's hit the ground a few times. Never had a problem removing a dent/ding or scratch. I don't think I could touch up the bead blast myself though. Cool looking as it is.
    You can't touch up BB finish. If it's scratched, it's scratched.

Unless you have a BB cabin like I do, and can reblast the whole thing to new condition whenever you feel it's time for a refresh

My lights have been "new" a few times for most, each time I feel like I have a new flashlight. It's pretty cost effective actually