• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku xre or xpg?

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
I know which is brighter, but there is alot more to a light then the output. Which do you prefer when it comes to beam shape, tints, runtimes. What advantages would one have over the other?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know which is brighter, but there is alot more to a light then the output. Which do you prefer when it comes to beam shape, tints, runtimes. What advantages would one have over the other?

Yes +1
I have an XR-E and am agonising weather to get an XP-G

Mike

Greetings

I've spent a great deal of time investigating and posting on the very issues you are asking about. The posts are
HERE and HERE

There are probably others, but these might help you. In my opinion, the brightness difference is barely noticeable, although there is a measured approx 50 lumens difference between them. The XRE has a smaller flood and 'looks' like it throws further - the XPG, to me at least, appears to throw just as far but has a brighter flood. The XRE is warmer and the XPG is a creamy white. My preference is the XPG for the amazing HUGE, smooth beam pattern, but that's me - 2 people may say two different things.
As for runtime, I haven't seen any tests yet, but if memory serves Don mentioned that the XP-G was brighter due to higher efficiency so they should be about the same? Hopefully these posts will help - a search for Haiku XRE versus XPG would probably bring even more.

Hope this helps:)

fyrstormer

Banned
Something else to consider is, if you get one and hate it (which is possible in an infinite quantum universe, but extremely unlikely), you can just sell it and get almost all of your money back.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Hehe, possible but not frakkin' likely! :D

Also consider that the XR-E is more compatible with the UV engine, if you were planning on getting that. You do have to file off the centering ring, though. :(

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you are after.

The XR-E model may put a tighter spot of light out further than the XP-G, but the XP-G will give you more light, and better coverage for anything under 100ft or so.

The XP-G will get the light out a long ways, but the XR-E may keep more light in the spot.

To me, the choice is a no-brainer: XP-G. It delivers light in a way that allows you to see an object or scene in a very efficient manner. Much less panning with the light and no tunnel-vision effect that you can get with lights with really hot spots.

With the EDC roles that these lights are designed to fill, the XP-G in Don's reflector is very hard to beat.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

The XR-E model may put a tighter spot of light out further than the XP-G, but the XP-G will give you more light, and better coverage for anything under 100ft or so.

The XP-G will get the light out a long ways, but the XR-E may keep more light in the spot.

To me, the choice is a no-brainer: XP-G. It delivers light in a way that allows you to see an object or scene in a very efficient manner. Much less panning with the light and no tunnel-vision effect that you can get with lights with really hot spots.

With the EDC roles that these lights are designed to fill, the XP-G in Don's reflector is very hard to beat.

What he said, +1....:thumbsup:

SFfanman

Enlightened
First off, awesome thread. :twothumbs Once I saw the title, I had to chime in.

These were my exact concerns about a month ago before I purchased both. A great fellow here sold me his XR-E and I ordered the XP-G straight from the man himself. Run4jC and BigHono summed it up pretty well.

As many stuck with the XP-G, an excellent choice, I ended up keeping the XR-E. My main reason was the tint. It was the closest thing to one of my favorite lights, the L1. I believe the Sun casts a specific tint made just for our eyes which in turn allows us to see all the wonderful colors spectacularly. That could belong in another thread though. Granted, it isn't a Sundrop, but a great compromise.

The XP-g is totally sick though, having IMHO THE best beam for combination throw and flood. When you want flood, its got it. When you want throw, its got that too. I can't imagine a better reflector to capture all the right attributes of this particular LED.

My "perfect light" would be a combination of both in addition to making it a PD and adding a low low level. I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes: As for now, I' ll keep my XR-E. :D

jblackwood

Enlightened
As many stuck with the XP-G, an excellent choice, I ended up keeping the XR-E. My main reason was the tint. It was the closest thing to one of my favorite lights, the L1. I believe the Sun casts a specific tint made just for our eyes which in turn allows us to see all the wonderful colors spectacularly. That could belong in another thread though. Granted, it isn't a Sundrop, but a great compromise.

That's what I was thinking. Aside from the Haiku XR-E and Sundrop, McGizmo always states that if no tint is specified, then it may vary (makes sense, right?). I own four XP-G lights and even the whitest one has a small cast of green in a part of the beam. Yes, I prefer the floodier profile of the XP-G but since I'll only be able to get one, I think I'll go for the XR-E before it's gone! Thanks, SFfanman!:thumbsup:

EDIT: Correction, I now have five XP-G lights. My newest one (a hint, I'll never run out of batteries if I'm conservative with using it!) has a distinct green to it.

SFfanman

Enlightened
That's what I was thinking. Aside from the Haiku XR-E and Sundrop, McGizmo always states that if no tint is specified, then it may vary (makes sense, right?). I own four XP-G lights and even the whitest one has a small cast of green in a part of the beam. Yes, I prefer the floodier profile of the XP-G but since I'll only be able to get one, I think I'll go for the XR-E before it's gone! Thanks, SFfanman!:thumbsup:

EDIT: Correction, I now have five XP-G lights. My newest one (a hint, I'll never run out of batteries if I'm conservative with using it!) has a distinct green to it.

Your welcome. :p Might I ask how the newest one is on its respective tint?

Also though you should know that the Haiku XP-G has the whitest tint I have seen with an XP-G so the differences were less than grande. Hope it helps. :shrug:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Your welcome. :p Might I ask how the newest one is on its respective tint?

Also though you should know that the Haiku XP-G has the whitest tint I have seen with an XP-G so the differences were less than grande. Hope it helps. :shrug:

Let's put it this way, as soon as I switched the "new one" on high, my wife said "it's green . . . I thought you weren't into green lights that are supposed to be white?" (I LOVE my Quark RGBs). The only thing more green than my newest Ti light with the battery program is my Nitecore D10 (Q5, XR-E), which is slightly more green than my Quark AA Ti.

dagored

Enlightened
Had the same problem as the OP. Which one to get. I bought both and am keeping both. I hate making decisions.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just playing with my Haiku XP-G tonight... :D

While I always write in favor of the XR-E when they are available on the BST, I consider the XP-G being the "better" of the two. The XP-G has more overall output, a very homogenous beam.

I've been lucky with my Haiku XP-G as with most of my XP-G lights, it can be qualified as pure white. It is true however, that most tend to green and look greenish if you compare them to other LEDs. My Haiku XR-E will look yellowish next to the XP-G. It may be individual whether they look greenish to you or not. One of these days I played with an XP-G light and had a closer look on the tint, and thought it was pure white. As soon as I took another light to compare, it looked greenish however. My eyes seem to adapt quickly to tints, other people probably will see that always as greenish. I think I don't own an XR-E light which tends to greenish, most tend to purplish, blueish or yellowish (if they have a tint).

So, if you really are allergic to greenish, you'd better stay away from XP-G lights by now. If not, I recommend the Hailu XP-G as the best overall performer. While I thought (testing indoors), that the XP-G has a little less throw than the XR-E, someone who used them outside said the XP-G goes further. If that's true, the potential tint problem is the only reason to preffer the XR-E. If you find an XR-E on the BST for a good price, take it! That's another advantage of the XR-E, as it is "the old version", you may get it cheaper as a used one...

dagored

Enlightened
I agree with you on the color difference. However, I want to say the XR-E is slightly golden (bronze) more than a yellow on mine, an off white. The XP-G is a white white. No blue or hint of it to my eyes.

Again, this is what I see. I kind of like the XR-E color better than the XP-G. It's softer not as garish bright. I like them both, as I said earlier, I would not part with either.

I have two different lanyards on them to tell them apart. I use one for EDC and the other around the house at night.

EDIT: grnamin- I have to agree with you there, a slight blue/gray at those levels. I never check color at those levels, only on high. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

Well said. I am leaning towards the XP-G based on this analysis. Thanks BigHonu. :twothumbs

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I just ordered a XP-G from Don and I did ask about the difference between them and he said that the XP-G is a more efficient light now I did not ask to what extent it was more efficient but since I was looking for a EDC light that would throw and nice large beam but still be able to light up my yard and its surroundings the XP-G seemed to be the best choice for my uses. If I lived in the country I might have went with the XR-E if the throw is further than the XP-G is. I don't think I would have been disappointed with any light Don makes but it would seem he has designed a light that can be used for just about anything.

m3flies

Banned
If it's your first light, or you just want to add another light, go ahead and buy an xre, you probably won't be disappointed. While the xpg's are brighter, I think the xre's have a better throw. Guess it depends on what you want to use the light for. I have 3 xpg's and one xre to my collection, and the next one I buy will probably be an xre just because of the superior throw.