Malkoff
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12V lighting for off-the-grid cabin

Flashaholic

Default Re: 12V lighting for off-the-grid cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    A number of emitters spaced across the ceiling, mount each on a steel plate (size of a CD) for heatsinking.

*I recommend bringing a desk lamp, a 12v halogen (you could stock 5w and 10 w bulbs). If you lop off the transformer you might be able to feed the 12v circuit right into the lamp cord. After a while the hollow spectrum of LED light gets to me and I forsee you really enjoying the option of %100 CRI at times.

-a few cree mc-e emitters. The mc-e is 4 dies, emitter can be wired in series. A few parrallel mc-e's along your ceiling would be decent. mc-e's about $12-15 from Cutter. You can get really good colour.
    -Alternately some discount C bin P7's wired in series.
    -Alernately a single CBM-360: 4x luminus ssr-90 dies on one copper chip.
    I second the option 4 emitters evenly spaced along the ceiling. However i would use an aluminum strip instead of the mentioned steel. I've built my own under cabinet kitchen lighting using some older Cree 6000k MC-E emitters, and i was really surprised by the amount of light it put's out! Using bare emitters, evenly spaced will give you the best possible coverage and light output. Depending on if the glare bothers you, you can get pretty creative with different methods of diffusion.

The advantage to building your own "fixture" is that you can easily keep it on it's own 12v DC circuit, without having to worry about plugging a standard socket type bulb into mains. Also, by avoiding standard socket type bulbs, you really are going to have the most efficient use of power since you can now avoid inverters that are not very efficient.

Good luck on your project, and i hope you come back to update us with some pics when you've decided to implement something.
    (`._.[MM]._.)

On a quest to find the holy grail of LED flash lights, a torch so bright it burns womens clothes off!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    A number of emitters spaced across the ceiling, mount each on a steel plate (size of a CD) for heatsinking.

*I recommend bringing a desk lamp, a 12v halogen (you could stock 5w and 10 w bulbs). If you lop off the transformer you might be able to feed the 12v circuit right into the lamp cord. After a while the hollow spectrum of LED light gets to me and I forsee you really enjoying the option of %100 CRI at times.

-a few cree mc-e emitters. The mc-e is 4 dies, emitter can be wired in series. A few parrallel mc-e's along your ceiling would be decent. mc-e's about $12-15 from Cutter. You can get really good colour.
    -Alternately some discount C bin P7's wired in series.
    -Alernately a single CBM-360: 4x luminus ssr-90 dies on one copper chip.
    I second the option 4 emitters evenly spaced along the ceiling. However i would use an aluminum strip instead of the mentioned steel. I've built my own under cabinet kitchen lighting using some older Cree 6000k MC-E emitters, and i was really surprised by the amount of light it put's out! Using bare emitters, evenly spaced will give you the best possible coverage and light output. Depending on if the glare bothers you, you can get pretty creative with different methods of diffusion.

The advantage to building your own "fixture" is that you can easily keep it on it's own 12v DC circuit, without having to worry about plugging a standard socket type bulb into mains. Also, by avoiding standard socket type bulbs, you really are going to have the most efficient use of power since you can now avoid inverters that are not very efficient.

Good luck on your project, and i hope you come back to update us with some pics when you've decided to implement something.
    (`._.[MM]._.)

On a quest to find the holy grail of LED flash lights, a torch so bright it burns womens clothes off!

This is a old thread , but i thought i'd give some input here , i bought low voltage light bulbs from a company that has a lot off different LEDs for off grid solar systems , i was skeptical at first , but the lights have been running for 14 to 18 hours a day non stop for 1 year now , and still very nice and bright with no issues ,''

i chose warm white to avoid that "bluish" tone , its pretty close to incandescent. I had used 12V CFLs before , but the voltage drop on start up was too hardcore , therefore i had to switch to LED , voltage drop became less of an issue. anyways ,

heres their site - www.12vmonster.com - you guys can check them out if you are interested.

heres the exact bulb i bought - http://www.12vmonster.com/products/a...fitting-lamp-1

I fitted 4 regular edison fittings on top of my shed , and they are all still running strong