hesitation to use a new knife

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
any of you guys kinda cringe at the thought of using a knife or something you paid over $70 for..... i just got a BM 556s mini grip and i just kinda hesitate when i need to cut anything lol

OCD

Enlightened
I know what you mean! :crazy: I have a Kershaw Whirlwind 1560 that I sometimes carry as a back-up to some other knife. The blade looks brand new...not a scratch on it. I have it as sharp, if not sharper, than the day I got it. The only major use it has seen was making some weenie roasting sticks at a bonfire. Otherwise, its mostly used for opening presents and stuff at Christmas...since it is so easy to deploy and is razor sharp! :cool:

parabellum

Newly Enlightened
Knives, firearms and flashlights are all tools

Would you be upset if you scratched your power-drill or your hammer?

I'm not trying to be harsh, but get over it, seriously.

If you're worried about scratching things in your collection, maybe you should take up collecting commemorative china plates or snow globes.

For the record, my everyday carry knives are generally Benchmades...my favorites are a couple of 530 Pardues with a 154CM blades...and yeah they are both dinged and scratched to hell. Its called "character", learn to love it.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collect Case knives and never use them. Kershaw knives are a different matter though, I have been a Kershaw fan since Snap-On tool trucks started carrying them back in the 80s. They are a great work knife even for a mechanic like I was. The only Kershaw that didn't get used was the Folding Field model and it was just too dang well made and good looking!! I just couldn't bear to do anything but give it a honored spot in a knife roll, and just take it out and clean and lube and polish it occasionally.

carrot

Flashaholic
Nope. First thing I do with a new knife is I go out and use it... if it gets scraped up even better. I like a well-used knife.

If we were talking about a knife that had serious collector value, like a Loveless... no way. I'd never mess up its pristine condition. But I'd beat up a Sebenza (I do) or even a Lochsa...

OCD

Enlightened

If you're worried about scratching things in your collection, maybe you should take up collecting commemorative china plates or snow globes.

For the record, my everyday carry knives are generally Benchmades...my favorites are a couple of 530 Pardues with a 154CM blades...and yeah they are both dinged and scratched to hell. Its called "character", learn to love it.

Gee, thanks. I didn't realize that I have to use every tool I own and beat it up so it has "character". :ironic: I've had enough knives with enough character that they should have multiple personalities. Some used so hard (like my Leatherman Wave) that had to be reincarnated several times!

Guess its wrong to carry a good EDC that has plenty of character along with a "BACKUP" that is ready for when "SHTF"?

And comparing keeping a knife in "like new" condition to scratching a power drill or hammer? Seriously?

With a user name of parabellum, I'm guessing you're a gun owner? Guns are merely tools themselves. How do feel about one of those getting scratched?

The original post was "hesitation to use a new knife"...and appearantly you don't, great. But please don't tell me I'm wrong for what I do with my stuff.

Last edited:

nasa779

Newly Enlightened

character....lol i like it thanks for putting it in perspective

chenko

Enlightened
First thing I do when I get a new knife is to sharpen it. This could mean change the edge geometry to suit my needs. 90% of the times the knives I get are too dull for me to just consider using them, so i "fix" them.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
first things i do is toss it in the gravel, stomp on it, and then clean oil and sharpen it, usually i end up cutting myself along the way, that way we get the bad part of the relationship out in the open immediately lol

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
any of you guys kinda cringe at the thought of using a knife or something you paid over $70 for..... i just got a BM 556s mini grip and i just kinda hesitate when i need to cut anything lol

If you don't familiarize yourself with this particular knife's characteristics in normal conditions, it won't be able to serve you as well in an emergency.

derangboy

Enlightened
I think I'm somewhere in between. I just received a Sebenza in the mail this week and I have not done any serious cutting with it yet. It does have a few marks from being carried though. I like to enjoy the aura that new things have for a bit. Next week it'll be cutting plastic strapping, twine and cardboard like it should be!

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a $500 knife. Your $70 knife will instantly become a beater. :thumbsup:

Beat the Mini Grip to hell. It will take it!!

Brigadier

Enlightened

A big +1!!!

Use them. Learn their strengths and weaknesses. An emergency situation is a bad time to be finding out how your tools work.

csa

Enlightened
Yeah, I really don't have this problem. My tools are tools, and they look better with some customization marks on them!

Dutch786

Newly Enlightened
For me, one of the joys of buying these kinds of things comes from using them as they were intended. Whenever I get a new knife, I try to use it as often as I can because its fun playing with a new toy :naughty:. Also, it helps me justify the prices of these things as long as I get use out of them. I think you shouldn't worry so much and just go out and cut stuff!

bstrickler

Enlightened
First thing I do when I get a new knife is to sharpen it. This could mean change the edge geometry to suit my needs. 90% of the times the knives I get are too dull for me to just consider using them, so i "fix" them.

+1

I have to do this to almost all my knives. The only one I have never had to sharpen is my newest pocket knife, a Benchmade 10300. That sucker has kept its edge extremely well.

Anymore, though, I just make knives in my metalsmithing class, lol. If I destroy it, oh well. I just make another one. Simple, cheap (free, actually, since people keep bringing them in from who knows where), and SHARP! (I use leafsprings to make my knives, and sharpen them to a nasty edge, so they're bloody sharp)

Half the time, I don't bother making a handle, I just wrap it in 550 cord, or something else, if its not comfortable.

~Brian

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I know exactly where you are coming from. I love for my toys to stay in prime condition as much as possible but once you start using that mini grip you will understand what it was meant for...:D

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
not to go off topic but whats the best way to put a edge back on a used knife..... im not the best sharpener by any means