Surefire Help

carl8190

Banned
Hi guys im looking at purchasing the surefire g2 im sorry but I have a low budget and cant really afford a better surefire but I hope this one will be good enough. It will be used as a tactical light for airsoft. My main question is will rechargable cr123 work in this or will i blow the led? Also is this a nice torch because it isnt a metal body?

carrot

Flashaholic
Are you getting a G2 LED or a G2 Nitrolon? The G2 LED will work fine on RCR123 OR 17670 Li-ions. I think the 17670 is a better route, for runtime although it might not be quite as bright. It is a good light, extremely tough and reliable.

The regular G2 Nitrolon will not work on li-ion rechargeables, you will need to replace the bulb with something compatible.

I like the Nitrolon better than the aluminum sometimes. Other times I like the aluminum better. They are both great, and just because it's cheaper doesn't make it any less of a SureFire.

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Carrot I have a training partner wanting a lite weight light for his AR. If I source him a nitrolon G2 (using primaries) can I also use one of Gene's dropins w/ the nitro, a heat buildup question I guess?

If so, which drop in of Gene's as I still need to find him a mount & keep this all under $150. Thx. in advance.

carrot

Flashaholic
You can use any of the L or LL drop-ins. The LL is said to be about the brightness of the stock bulb, but will run for 15x longer, and the L is about twice as bright and will run for maybe 4x as long.

You may not use the M60, as it will get too hot. It is still unverified as to whether you can use the M61 but due to its higher efficiency and lower heat output it may be OK to use as well.

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing wrong with the G2. The Nitrolon body is SUPER durable and my Glock has a Nylon polymer frame similar to the G2.

If you really want aluminum... consider getting a cheap and beat up 6P in the market place

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
Carl sorry for the thread hijack, Carrot & anonymoususer thx for the replies.

Will email Gene re. to the heat issue w/ the P61 & fairly focused on the G2 nitro given the weight + price considerations. Still have to determine a mount.

flip

Enlightened
Carl, the L and LL they are referring to are the lower output versions of the Malkoff drop-ins(M60, M60L, M60LL etc).

Sorry to jump in where the questions were already being handled. I was just bored. lovecpf

Last edited:

carl8190

Banned
Them drop ins seem to be expensive for what they are. I can see they look high quality but the outputs are low for the brightness. 140lumens only a few hours but the surefire standard has good runtime for its brightness. is surefires g2 80 lumens out the front? Im getting confused though surefires site says 3 hours tactical but other sites say 10 hour runtime?​

Kestrel

Flashaholic
SureFire G2
Malkoff M60L or LL
(or the full power M60/M61 in a G2L or 6P host)
AW Protected 17670 LiIon rechargeable

That's all. (IMO ;))
Good afternoon,

Edit:

I can see they look high quality but the outputs are low for the brightness. 140lumens only a few hours but the surefire standard has good runtime for its brightness. is surefires g2 80 lumens out the front? Im getting confused though surefires site says 3 hours tactical but other sites say 10 hour runtime?
Actually it's SF that is bending the truth on the G2L (to say the least). The 80 lumens (which have been measured at about ~82 initial lumens my MrGman) is actually thermally regulated down to ~60 lumens within 5-10 minutes, and drops out of regulation with a subsequent steep decline after 2.5 hours. The Malkoff M60L has ~ twice the output and ~ twice the regulated runtime, while the M60LL has comparable output but ~8x the regulated runtime - per runtime graphs of the M60LL on 2x SureFire CR123's by BigWaffles.

Last edited:

carl8190

Banned
im on about the led vrsion surefire people say it runs flat after a few hours and on the surefire website the g2 and the p6 say 3 hours tactical. But fenix can last 10 hours. so was wondering why when they are both led.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, digital regulation.

Surefire are in a different market really.

In their market, you change the batteries after each operation, so 10 hours of runtime doesn't really mean anything.

For the general consumer, a longer runtime is probably more important.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix is designed from the ground up to be a LED light.

The Surefire is an old design from when thermal isolation was never considered a problem. The default P60 LED that comes with the Surefire offers absolute, ultimate reliability retrofit to an older design that is normally fairly hostile to high output LED's.

Malkoff offers a different solution with better heatsinking and an optimal thermal path, allowing him to drive LEDs harder and longer (more efficiently) than Surefire's design, but they increase weight by a few ounces over the Surefire way. It is a most worthwhile tradeoff, one which Malkoff is able to offer because he is a small custom maker.

New SureFire C-series LED lights (includes G2L and 6PL) as of SHOT 2010 have an upgraded thermal path and an integrated LED module, allowing them to be much more comparable to the Fenix, etc, in output, with 120 lumens for several hours.