Nanotechnology

hula

Newly Enlightened
The supposed next and more impacting technological/life changing revolution could be when we harness the benefits of the very small. But this field is not without existence threatening dangers itself. Given that such benefits could mean the end of ageing, guaranteed health throughout ones' existence, the end of starvation, manufacture of any known element by molecular re-arrangement, the creation of a self-aware Nano-based super computer/genie machine or life form.
Should we continue to attempt to aquire such benefits given the inherent danger and unknown impact of Nanotechnologies' attributes?

Hula.

DrAg0n

Banned
Scary....

If possible, i hope to get myself 'engineered' with nano tech and become a living god too...hehe

but hey, i think they should be vulnarable to EMP shockwaves as well right? being micro 'machines' and all... so i suppose we should be safe...:p

hula

Newly Enlightened
DrAgOn - not neccessarily safe from Nano technology when it comes to biological entities. I saw a report that stated such things could feasibly alter every suitable thing on earth into a brown? sludge. Perfect for its existence but NOT good news for life on this little planet.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hula said:

I saw a report that stated such things could feasibly alter every suitable thing on earth into a brown? sludge. Perfect for its existence but NOT good news for life on this little planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The premise behind this scare story is that silicon-based, artificial organisms could somehow outcompete organic life. There are a zillion reasons, mostly related to the thermodynamics of silicon and SiO2, why this won't happen.

DrAg0n

Banned
Good Grief....what are u guys toking about??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thermodynamics of silicon and SiO2?? haha...deep... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened
For some really good science fiction based on this technology, try reading John Ringo's A Hymm Before Battle, and its sequels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

feynmanVerySmall.gif

There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom
An Invitation to Enter a New Field of Physics

by Richard P. Feynman

This transcript of the classic talk that Richard Feynman gave on December 29th 1959 at the annual meeting of the American Physical Society at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) was first published in the February 1960 issue of Caltech's Engineering and Science, which owns the copyright. It has been made available on the web at

http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html

with their kind permission.