OEM HID basetype

zeramant86

Newly Enlightened
I know there are threads on here about cheap HID kits, and I was wondering. What is the typical basetype for OEM HID bulbs? Do they use the same standard halogen bases and simply require ballasts or do they have their own specific base not used for halogens? The reason I ask is I know many of the cheap hid kits allow you to select bulb type, I was just wondering if they altered the base or something like that.

Also, all OEM HID lights are 35w, 4100-4300k, correct?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are threads on here about cheap HID kits, and I was wondering. What is the typical basetype for OEM HID bulbs? Do they use the same standard halogen bases and simply require ballasts or do they have their own specific base not used for halogens? The reason I ask is I know many of the cheap hid kits allow you to select bulb type, I was just wondering if they altered the base or something like that.
The one useful thing I can tell you about HID "kits" is that they are unsafe, ineffective, and illegal. Also, I can give you a link to this article.

Also, all OEM HID lights are 35w, 4100-4300k, correct?

They should be, because that is what FMVSS 108 (and related regulations) requires.

Last edited:

zeramant86

Newly Enlightened
I'm well aware that they are unpopular on here, but even still the question has been asked. I haven't nor do I intend to purchase these, I'm simply curious about them. I've never had any experiences with HID, OEM or otherwise. I've glanced over the danielstern site before.

A friend of mine was looking into them for his Polaris 600. I think primarily the light output/price was what interested him, like many people.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine was looking into them for his Polaris 600. I think primarily the light output/price was what interested him, like many people.

Given that the snowmobile will probably be used in the snow at some time (being facetious here), keep away from high color temperatures! (Keeping away from high color temperatures is good practice in general.)

I don't know how fast your friend plans on riding, but I see this thing can reach speeds of 120mph. Crazy! I his desire for effective lighting, but an HID kit may cause glare problems for himself that may backfire ultimately.

Last edited:

zeramant86

Newly Enlightened
It's actually a 4 wheeler, that he uses primarily for farmwork and some playtime fun in the evening and when he goes hunting. His main interest in this is light output so it definitely won't go over 6k, it will probably be either 3k yellow or 4300.

Would the light output be too bright for use in the woods. The amount of light would mean that he would have no sight outside of the beam/spill, correct?

It'd be crazy, scary/deadly if it would do 120. 600 refers to the overall motor/vehicle size I think, not certain though.

For this use, would he be able to buy a metal housing and the cheap kit? I'm going to assume that he would need to further waterproof the ballasts/connection, correct?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four-wheeling in the woods on narrow trails seems to be a very different lighting requirement from roadway driving. He needs enough light to see the low branches and such, but not so much that the reflected light is blinding. Add in the weeds and brush and whatnot, it seems that it'd be a "busy" visual field.

I'll admit that I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a recommendation. One thing I would think would be helpful is that the beam is very wide and the hotspot is not extremely hot compared to the periphery, so that things in the periphery aren't 'lost' to the brightness of the hotspot.

Maybe Scheinwerfermann has some ideas...