First and last li-ion light

jimbo231

Enlightened
Well.....after researching and reading some horror stories I was a little aprehensive about getting a li-ion light. I decided I would be careful and get a protected 18650 to use to be extra safe. I ordered the Eagletac t100c2 mark II after doing some reasearch. Today I received my light and I was so happy until I removed the battery only to find it had leaked all over the head where the positive makes contact. My worst fears have come true. Lets just say I'm done with li-ion light and am going to stick to AA ones.:sigh:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let one bad personal experiance turn you away.
Try the AW batteries...I've only heard good stuff and have never had a problem with them.
Pick up the bike, hop back on and try again...

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You received a light with a 18650 already installed and it leaked while in transit? Which dealer sends a light out with the battery already installed?

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Out of the hundreds of thousands of batteries and lights that have been sold through PTS I have never once seen a quality Li-ion battery leak with normal use. However I have seen thousands of AA batteries leak and ruin flashlights.

What brand of battery was it? You should contact the dealer you purchased it from.

If you use your flashlight on a regular basis you can't beat the value of using a Li-ion battery verses primary disposable CR123 batteries

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me your 'worst fears' about lithium ion batteries has not even been realized yet, fortunatly for your health and safety you got off very lightly, there have been a few cases of cells violently venting inside and building up heat and pressure then exploding, usually down to user neglect/misuse.

Lithium ion batteries are the way forward, do a little reading on how to properly use them and they will be fine, have a look in the batteries forum.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using li-ions now for a long time and never had any problems with it. I always use AWs. In my opinion the RCR123As are the best form factor for a EDC so I never actually thought of using AAs. I know how you fell: Your first li-ions flashlight and you already had an li-ion-failure but try it again there are so many nice flashlights for li-ions ;).

rayman

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Jimbo231 --

Please tell us the BRAND of this leaking Lithium-Ion battery.

Thank you.

carrot

Flashaholic
Quality cells makes all the difference. I buy my AW cells from 4sevens.com and their new charger is really awesome as well.

Larbo

Enlightened
Did you know laptops have many many 18650's for a battery pack, also your wireless phone uses a li-ion? :whistle:
Seriously get a replacement and use AW cells and you shouldnt have any problems. The benefits outweigh the few risks. :thumbsup:

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Wow, Jimbo231 sorry to hear about your bad luck! :( MURPHY'S LAW definitely applies here. This could be a manufacturer quality control problem, point the finger at them not Li-Ion's in general. I have used dozens of AW Li-Ion's and not one has leaked! You have taught me a lesson though, I will be more mindful in the future to check my batteries before cranking my lights on.

Last edited:

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Like the rest, I think you are making a hasty decision.

I don't even use the more expensive AW's & have only had a couple batteries that were duds (out of a dozen or more), and that may have been caused by my overdischarging them in run time tests.

The bump in output on many lights, and the economy (and waste factor) make liion batteries my choice for everyday use. As for the aa format, it is not a very energy dense power source and all my aa lights have liion batts in them (or Eneloops).

You should reconsider and give yourself a chance to check out the benefits of running a liion power source and make an objective evaluation.

csa

Enlightened
I agree. You've got them in your cell, why not your lights?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think jimbo231 may be calling lithium CR123's li-ion cells. The Eagletac T100C2 comes with lithium cells which most likely were installed by the seller prior to shipping. That's a big no no.

Jimbo231, if this is the case you could probably request a refund from the seller. They should not have shipped the light with the cells installed.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
All type of cell chemistry can vent or leak. Don't think for a second that you are improving your odds by switching to NiMH or alkaline.

It happens, murphy's law... or whatever you want to call it.

Actually, I think your 1x18650 case is the first reported CPF incident of a single cell 18650 vent/leak.

Hopefully you got it from an AD with a return policy. if not, then I think you are hosed.

Last edited:

jimbo231

Enlightened
The brand of battery was eagletac. It was an protected 18650. I bought it seperate but the store shipped it in the light with the cap not tightened. They said the ship then in the light to cut down on hazards. I contacted them and they will refund my money.

jimbo231

Enlightened
:eek: I might have over reacted..............I checked the battery voltage and it read 4.1V. So I guess its not possible it vented or leaked right? There is liquid around the positive contact on the head though. Could it be lube of somekind? Do they put oil on the contact from the factory to prevent corrosion?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: I might have over reacted..............I checked the battery voltage and it read 4.1V. So I guess its not possible it vented or leaked right? There is liquid around the positive contact on the head though. Could it be lube of somekind? Do they put oil on the contact from the factory to prevent corrosion?

let's try to get down to the bottom of this.
what's the oil look like? It could be lube placed at the head of the light that leeched down.

jimbo231

Enlightened
let's try to get down to the bottom of this.
what's the oil look like? It could be lube placed at the head of the light that leeched down.

I don't think so. Its right in the center around the positive contact. Let me try to grab a pic. All I can tell you is its some oily looking liquid.