Problem with Tenergy 18650s in Fenix TK30

symes

Enlightened
OK, so when I ordered by TK30 on Amazon it offered me 4 Tenergy PCM 18650s and a plug in 2 cell charger as part of a package, so I assumed it would all work together.

Having just had the batteries arrive (3.82V no load) I tried them in the Fenix and had several problems:

1) They barely fit in, in fact the plastic coating on one of the cells ripped as I tried to get the cell out and left the metal wall exposed

2) One cell works fine in place of 2x 123s, but with the TK30 extension tube, which is supposed to take 2x18650 or 4x123s, if you do get the 2x18650s in, the light doesn't come on. A quick look at the cells and I am not surprised because they are completely flush at both ends so how could they possibly make a connection in the middle?

Based on other conversations on here, I also have 4x Pila 600Ps coming soon - have I missed something here, will the Pilas be better or do I need something to make this all work?

Thanks!

Simon

HKJ

Flashaholic
1) They barely fit in, in fact the plastic coating on one of the cells ripped as I tried to get the cell out and left the metal wall exposed

That is not good, do not use that battery in the light.

2) One cell works fine in place of 2x 123s, but with the TK30 extension tube, which is supposed to take 2x18650 or 4x123s, if you do get the 2x18650s in, the light doesn't come on. A quick look at the cells and I am not surprised because they are completely flush at both ends so how could they possibly make a connection in the middle?

My TK30 included a magnetic spacer to place between the batteries:
DSC_8921.jpg

symes

Enlightened
Awesome my friend, thanks! I checked my original packing and found the thing you mentioned - had assumed it was just a lanyard and found the spacer and a whole bunch of spare o rings - that's service!!....still a little touch and go with the spacer, but if you poke the cells through until they bounce off the spring the other end, then it seems to work OK. The stripped cell is a little scary as one touch of a coin etc in a pocket and I daresay it would create some warmth...

Let's hope the Pilas fit a little better than those Tenergys!!

Appreciate the response thanks!

Simon

Timelike

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a similar problem with my TK30. I just opened it up and put the two tenergy batteries, the spacer, and the tube extender on, but the light doesn't work. It works fine with one battery, but I get nothing when using the two battery configuration. Very frustrating!

Timelike

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that my Tenergy 18650's are 2600mah. The TK30 illustrations call for 2500mah. Could that really be why I am getting no light at all when I use the two battery configuration? One 2600mah battery works just fine.

McAllan

Enlightened
I noticed that my Tenergy 18650's are 2600mah. The TK30 illustrations call for 2500mah. Could that really be why I am getting no light at all when I use the two battery configuration? One 2600mah battery works just fine.

No. The capacity of the cells have nothing to do with it.

But good electrical connection between the elements that being the two Tenergy cells or between the cells and the head or the end cell and the tail cap or the til cap and the body tube means everything.

Could be you're missing a spacer etc.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm having a similar problem with my TK30. I just opened it up and put the two tenergy batteries, the spacer, and the tube extender on, but the light doesn't work. It works fine with one battery, but I get nothing when using the two battery configuration. Very frustrating!

I hope you put the spacer between the two cells!

Tenergy are flat top cells and does not make reliably contact between cells in series.

My TK30 works fine with Tenergy, as long as I uses the spacer (with electric connection) between the cells.
A small magnet could also be used, but there are a small risk for a short to the battery tube and that might led to:poof:

Timelike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did put the spacer between the two cells. I flipped it around, and tried it without the spacer. I got nothing but darkness. Only after really twisting, poking, rearranging, pushing, and pulling did I finally get a quick flash. Then it stayed on steady.

I was able to actually use the light for a minute and to start learning the way to change modes, when the light went out and didn't come back. Maybe I just got a bad apple and I should return it for an exchange.

For the minute it worked, I wasn't too super impressed. It was a lot brighter than my TK11R2, but the beam diffused so fast that it didn't really go any farther than the smaller TK11. Oh well.