Lithium battery advice

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amongst my collection I have a couple of really budget lights made in China but like to give them a bit of evening use every now and again.

One which I quite like just eats Lithium but runs fine on standard cells and eneloop type.

A lithium in it lasts no more than an hour but same batch of batteries are powering other lights for ages not even had to change one yet.

Is it the light or perhaps just was unlucky and had dud cells.

They were Energizer Lithium use by date 2023.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably what is happening, is when you run an L92 in the light the voltage is higher. Lithium L92's (and L91's) are a slightly higher voltage chemistry than NiMH or alkaline, and also hold their voltage under load better than alkalines. This would mean the current drain would be higher in an unregulated light than either of the other chemistries, and therefore drain the cell faster. My best guess anyway. :)

Dave

csa

Enlightened
Yep, it's probably driving the light at a higher current. You get more lumens for a shorter period of time, which may be a benefit, depending on your use case.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys had a feeling you were going to tell me that,well back to eneloop type and can save my Lithium for my better lights.