Looking for a recommendation

Ruski

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm a train driver and need to inspect the locomotives before I do my runs every morning so I'm looking for a small but powerful flashlight preferably something along the lines of a penlight that can be clipped to my overalls.

I'm not too fussed if it's waterproof or not and as far as power goes I'm only in need of something that has maybe a very good bright beam for about 10-50m max.

I would also prefer something that uses standard size batteries such as AA or AAA but if they are something different and rechargeable I'm not to fussed.

I was thinking something like the LED Lenser P2 or P4.
Anyone know if they are any good or does someone have a better recommendation?

Cheers in advance.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Lenser P5 is more powerful and could meet better your requirements.
It's not a penlight but is thin enough to fit a trouser pocket. The P4 model is only 14 lumens wich I guess very dim to light up to 50 meters.

Also you can try the Preon 2 (2xAAA), from 4Sevens, wich is a true penlight with a clip and pretty powerful (forward clicky). It has 3 normal modes L-M-H (plus another 4 hidden) wich may be an incovenient if you need the highest output at first press, though changing modes is way fast and easy (half press)

Last edited:

Brian321

Enlightened
This is pretty much opposite of what you are looking for, but i figured i would give you the option.

Surefire A2 Aviator

Im not sure if you have to read anything in the train, but if you do the aviator may fit the bill. Here is a quote from an article of the aviator.

"weighing barely four ounces, the Aviator was designed specifically for military and commercial pilots, who need a torch to both inspect the outside of their aircraft and illuminate their charts inside the cockpit without damaging their night-vision."

Here is the full article:
https://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2003-10/review-a2-aviator-flashlight

I love mine. You can find them for around $100.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
A true penlight would be the Preon 2. However if you are using it for long periods of time on max output you will find the runtime to be a bit lacking. This is because AAA's do not have high enough capacity to power a high-power LED for a long amount of time.

I would recommend instead going for the Quark AA^2 (regular or tactical), which is about the size of a Mini Maglite and about 40x more powerful. It has much better runtime and you can use readily available NiMH rechargeable batteries in it.

IMHO LED Lenser is decent, but nothing special. The Quark/Preon on the other hand, much nicer.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
....I would recommend instead going for the Quark AA^2 (regular or tactical), which is about the size of a Mini Maglite and about 40x more powerful. It has much better runtime and you can use readily available NiMH rechargeable batteries in it.......

+1 to the Quark AA*2. Here's the light to buy IMHO - http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1656

I recently bought a Quark Tactical 123*2, and for you I was gonna recommend the same light using the AA batteries.

Here is a nice review of the Quark AA light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vgQKw_rpw&feature=related

-

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
With my limited knowledge of train drivers from my own country I'd say very long run time isn't an absolute must.
The Preon is probably a tad on the low side but should still suffice quite well.

A qestion for the OP: How much will the light typically be used and for how long at a time?

A Fenix LD05 with LSD NiMH would probably be enough for weeks. And hey in the shirt pocket of the uniform they're required to wear where I live an LD05 would look quite classy.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously consider a stainless steel Peak Eiger penlight.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/244743

P1010605.jpg

Wattnot

Enlightened
All of the recommendations you've received so far are good.

But in your line of work, if it were me, I'd want a good flashlight with me all of the time, not just for those early AM inspections.

Check out the EagleTac P20A2. I just reviewed it here. That's a powerful, 2xAA light that works well with nimhs.

Fenix also makes a good 2xAA light (TK20 and others).

Set yourself up with one of those and a 4 pack of nimhs and a charger and you'll be set.

Last edited:

traderdell

Newly Enlightened
Ruski,

I'm new here so don't have any suggestions as to what light might best suit you. But as an ex railroader I'm guessing you'll most always have a pair of gloves on. I know that would affect how the light was held and the ease of use.

Good luck'
TraderDell

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ruski and :welcome:

I'm going to recommend a Fenix TK20, it has 2 modes, changed by tightening or loosening the head, low (not really that low) at 45 lumens and high at 150 lumens. It can definitely meet your needs of illumination at 50m and its neutral white tint is great for outdoor use.

The TK20 is also a very tough light so if you happen to drop it on the tracks etc, it will be able to survive a drop like that, have dropped mine down a flight of stairs and its still in perfect condition. On top of that, you can obtain an after market red filter (if such an add on is useful for you) which fits nicely too.

Your profile does not indicate where you live so i am unable too say if you have a local site or place that retails Fenix lights, however, you can head over to 4sevens and check out the range of lights there. There is a discount code ("CPF8") that you can use for a discount when checking out. The red filter i mentioned is also available there.

cheers.

I

Ruski

Newly Enlightened
Accidentally double posted refere below.

Last edited:

Ruski

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the responses. Just some more info for you guys.
I'm in Melbourne Australia so it never gets cold enough to require gloves.

And I'm working on the electric lines so there's no need for something powerful for distance as outdoor lighting is usually around. I'll also have no use for it inside the cabin unless all the power died for some reason.

I've looked into the reviews and here's what I've decided so far.

I very much like the look of the Preon 2 however I don't like the fact that a flashlight has 20 different modes. I only need on and off not on/off/low/med/high and the extra mode to transform into Optimus Prime.

Run time for me is not too big of a concern since I will be using the light for at most 30 min of the day to check on undercarriages and couplings. On the same note having a light above 100lumens I think would be overkill as I would just be blinding myself from reflections.

I've been looking into the recommendations and think in the end a small light that has a med (or adjustable) beam with a sturdy body and a rechargeable battery (since disposables would end up costing a fair bit) would be a good option here's the ones I like. Opinions welcome.

1. LED Lenser V2 Pro Rechargeable ZL7741 (But can't find a good review anyone know of one?)
2. Peak Eiger Penlight (However I can't find anyway of getting it locally)
3. Surefire T1A-Titan

One thing I forgot to add earlier was that I can't buy anything online only from Australian stores because the railway company technically buys the items but can only do so if they get an invoice from an Australian company.

Once again thank you for the help.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Mate I've got a couple of dozen of those fancy multimode torches in various battery sizes but if you want one brightness level, easy to buy batteries, excellent runtime with adjustable focus (very useful) and good build quality I reckon you'd be extremely happy with the Led Lenser P5. I know I was happy with mine until a relative insisted on handing me cash and taking away my torch. He still loves it six months later.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I forgot to add earlier was that I can't buy anything online only from Australian stores because the railway company technically buys the items but can only do so if they get an invoice from an Australian company.
There are Australian online companies. Look here and here. Australian members can provide more suggestions.

Many Fenix torches have 2 levels but the levels are selected by turning the bezel. Tighten the barrel for high (outdoors), loosen the barrel for low(indoors). The button is strictly for on-off.
Models with this limited feature set include:
L1T v2.0 1AA.
L2T v2.0 2AA (currently out of stock at the links above).
TK20 2AA.

There is also a single mode 2AA called the E20.

I have played with a Surefire T1 (The Ti version of the T1A). It seems very dim even at the highest setting.

Last edited:

pwatcher

Enlightened
1. LED Lenser V2 Pro Rechargeable ZL7741 (But can't find a good review anyone know of one?)
2. Peak Eiger Penlight (However I can't find anyway of getting it locally)
3. Surefire T1A-Titan

Not an engineer, but like your short list.

However, the T1A has more electronics than you need, and maybe more to go wrong?

The led lenser rechargeable has what for battery? when it no longer takes a charge, can you get a replacement battery at reasonable cost?

the Peak allows you to have them build it from the materials you prefer, and to your specified brightness. that's the way I'd go from what I understand of your needs!

Bubu

Newly Enlightened
If you cannot buy online from non-Australian company then you are a bit more limited.

There are a couple of Australian based (including Melbourne) torch stores but as far as I can see most stores have no shop front they are on-line only stores. If you can buy from these Australian online stores then I would recommend you have a quick browse to see what they have available. Not much point having recommendations here if they are not available in Australia.

I have bought some of my torches online locally but most of my torches I bought online from overseas, mainly because there is not much available locally.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I very much like the look of the Preon 2 however I don't like the fact that a flashlight has 20 different modes. I only need on and off not on/off/low/med/high and the extra mode to transform into Optimus Prime.

Your understanding of the Preon 2 is somewhat mistaken.

Because of the return policy, I had a chance to personally evaluate the Preon 2. When you give the button a firm push, the light will always come on in low mode. While the light is on, give the button a soft push and the light immediately changes to medium. While the light is still on, give the button a soft push and the light immediately changes to high. While the light is still on, give the button another soft push and you're back to low. The time it takes to soft-push the button and have the light change brightness is half a second. Starting at low mode, in the time it takes to say "one thousand one" you can give the button two soft-pushes and be in high mode. So, while the light is on, when you use soft pushes you advance to the next mode without the light being shut off.

OR ... if you so choose, while the light is on in low mode, give the button a firm push to turn it off and then within the next one second give the button a firm push to turn it on and the light will then be in the next brightness mode.

Now, as far as these other modes you referred to, a person literally would have to either

(a) deliberately set out to access these other modes; you have to cycle through low-med-high-low-med-high in less than three seconds in order to access the strobe, sos, and beacon modes

(b) or mindlessly go click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click ....

Last edited:

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened

If that situation changes, here's another light to consider:

Sunlite Slim with either the 100 lumen head or the 65 lumen head
Sunlite Slim2 with either the 100 lumen head or the 65 lumen head

http://www.powerledlighting.com/100lmSlim.html
http://www.powerledlighting.com/Slim2.html

[Regarding the Sunlite Slim2 with the 100 lumen head, it appears that this configuration can't be bought preconfigured like this; however, it appears that a customer is welcome to buy the 100 lumen head and the Sunlite Slim2 tube]

Here are some beamshots taken by HKJ of the Sunlite Slim: (link)

The company powerledlighting accepts payment by paypal and appears to ship internationally
http://www.powerledlighting.com