$30 Ra clicky. ;)

KBobAries

Enlightened
I was at some friends' home for dinner and using my light to mess with his little girls. They were having fun playing with it but kept wanting to look into the business end. My buddy wandered over asked about my light and I explained its features and capabilities. He was quite impressed and finally got around to asking the price; "so how much was this, about 30 dollars?" :D

We were distracted and the actual price didn't come up again but that's a real price difference of about $160.

I'm sure something similar has happened to many of you. How far off have others been from the actual price when guessing the cost of your lights?

Dan

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time I get the eye roll or a shocked look from others when talking about flashlights (especially when they hear bout the prices) so now I make it a point never to speak about the price or the lights. If someone does ask, they get the usual "you don't wanna know" or its expensive and that does the trick. :nana:

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I try and just tell them that I don't want to talk about the price. They're usually left puzzled, but don't ask beyond that.

Most people don't understand, especially when they're used to $10 flashlights.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Finish you story. You told him it cost about $140 or so? I am past not telling people what my lights cost, even it it drives them crazy.

Bill

blub

Enlightened
My wife thinks all of my lights cost $20 for some reason.;)

I told a woman at work how much my RA Clicky cost. WHAAAAT?!!!:eek:

Last edited:

LupinIII

Enlightened
My wife thinks all of my lights cost $20 for some reason.;)

This really made me laugh. Whenever I get a new flashlight, knife, pack, or other assorted gear, if my girlfriend notices it, this is how our conversations typically go:

Girlfriend: Is that a new flashlight?

Me: *sheepishly* No . . . I've always had this light . . .

Girlfriend: No you didn't! How much did this one cost?

Me: Fine, it's new. I . . .

1. traded for it (I almost never trade)

2. got it on sale (well, at least my perceived value of it exceeds the price)

3. really needed it (like I need a hole in the head)

If I do tell her the price, it's always conveniently less than $50. She'll shake her head and say we could have had a nice dinner with that money, but it's okay, I tend to spoil both of us anyway.

With my recent Surefire and semi-custom binging, my lights are rarely under $50 ;)

KBobAries

Enlightened
Finish you story. You told him it cost about $140 or so? I am past not telling people what my lights cost, even it it drives them crazy.

Bill

In this instance the actual price didn't come up. I started to say something about it being relatively expensive but we were then distracted by the kids and a call to dinner. The topic didn't come up again. I've edited my post above.

Dan

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I never mention price unless people ask me. I EDC different lights on different occasions. One of my co workers has noticed my flashlight addiction and has made some comments about it.
Not long ago he a got a gun as a gift from his son. He went to the gun store to buy some stuff for it and I guess he checked out their flashlight selection.
The next day he kept talking how a flashlight like mine cost over $150 dollars at the gun store.

e-ville

Newly Enlightened
price usually comes up when a friend or coworker comes up and says "let me see your flashlight for a minute"

either to use it or to show it off to one of their friends.

they never understand when i tell them "dont f*ck around with it" and usually say "dude its just a flashlight ill buy you a new one if anything happens to it"

then i tell them the price....:laughing:

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
This really made me laugh. Whenever I get a new flashlight, knife, pack, or other assorted gear, if my girlfriend notices it, this is how our conversations typically go:

Girlfriend: Is that a new flashlight?

Me: *sheepishly* No . . . I've always had this light . . .

Girlfriend: No you didn't! How much did this one cost?

Me: Fine, it's new. I . . .

1. traded for it (I almost never trade)

2. got it on sale (well, at least my perceived value of it exceeds the price)

3. really needed it (like I need a hole in the head)

If I do tell her the price, it's always conveniently less than $50. She'll shake her head and say we could have had a nice dinner with that money, but it's okay, I tend to spoil both of us anyway.

With my recent Surefire and semi-custom binging, my lights are rarely under $50 ;)

This sounds very familiar.

I've traded for 5 lights this week, two from the accomdating folks at 4 Sevens & one from Elektrolumens.

Thanks CPF for making this possible.

KBob, I'd give you $40 bucks for that Ra clickie right now.

Pm me if interested.

seaside

Enlightened
Most people automatically assume that your light can be bought up in Target store. Don't know why.

"I placed new duracell battery, and it ain't work. It's broken"

"where's the original battery that's in it?"

"in trashcan"

Man, that's pretty much why I am carrying small AA ultrafires with me. :)

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
price usually comes up when a friend or coworker comes up and says "let me see your flashlight for a minute"

either to use it or to show it off to one of their friends.

they never understand when i tell them "dont f*ck around with it" and usually say "dude its just a flashlight ill buy you a new one if anything happens to it"

then i tell them the price....:laughing:

Happens to me all the time. I was showing my 9p to a friend at church, and he drops it. He quickly responds with " If its broken I'll pay you back." I proceed to tell him the price and his jaw drops and he awkwardly walks away. It still works, fyi.

Showed my Ti QMini 123 to a friend last week. He says, "That's what, like $40?" thinking he was highballing the price. While I told him, "try about $70", I didn't bother to tell him that it's very cheap comparative to other Ti lights. Oh yeah, and his only response to the cost of my TK40 was OMG.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lol'd on the $170 shipping, too. :laughing:

He probably said $30 because he would only buy a Maglite if it were on sale and would never pay $30 for a light. Even if it could save a life, his.

timbo114

Enlightened
I have traded for all 50+ of my torches .... I happen to have traded greenbacks, but hey - a trade is a trade.
I've gotten the "Here's another padded envelope from the mailbox- how much was THIS one?"
My reply ... "Just a wee bit more than your new purse." ... end of discussion. ;)

My TiQuark 123²T drew a "WOW that thing is awfully shiny for a flashlight."
Yup, sure is ..

Funny how now the wife will always grab a light off my desk when she's off to do a chore that may require some vision assistance. :devil:
Now there are lights on the desk - nightstand - headboard - front entry table ...etc hahaha

My father in law told me I was nuts for paying $18 for an Olight I15 Infinitum (I didn't have the heart to tell him the normal price was $50+ ) it was Christmas day.