Princeton Tec & CREE bulbs??

408Cheyenne

Newly Enlightened
Why doesn't Princeton Tec use the latest CREE bulbs?

I have a PT Eos Tactical headlamp and it's bulb (Luxeon?) is not the brightest copmpared to similar CREE bulbs that would put it to shame.

Is there a problem between PT & CREE ?

I like regulated headlamps but find very few of them. Seems a headlamp manufacturer would WANT to have the best and most efficient components (excepting PETZL, who advances only at a glacial speed).

Eric

woodentsick

Enlightened
The EOS Tactical uses Seoul P4 and the EOS uses Rebel 100, both of which can easily compare to a Cree bulb. However, although they may not be 100 percent as bright as a Cree bulb, Cree LEDs require different optics to the ones PT Headlamps already have, and PT can't be bothered to change the optics. But PT is atleast making an effort to update their LEDs by recently upgrading LEDs for many headlamps.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Seems a headlamp manufacturer would WANT to have the best and most efficient components (excepting PETZL, who advances only at a glacial speed).

Eric

I think that Petzl uses recent LEDs (Seoul P4?) but their headlamp designs have not been as good as they were. Also they might be underdriving the LEDs to make them more effecient, which would affect its brightness. But the LEDs are modern ones.