Rhino coating a Maglite?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Has it ever been done before? I know everyone here likes to talk about custom paint jobs/powder coating their maglite. I even saw a carbon fiber Maglite somewhere around here. But has anyone ever tried to Rhino coat their Maglite? Or Linex? I think it'd look cool. What are your suggestions?

mrartillery

Enlightened
Rhino Lining and Line-x both are extremely rough and coarse! Very thick with large chunks of rubber in it, that being said, you wouldnt be able to get it to high up on the body otherwise the bezel wouldnt screw all the way down. I think its a neat idea and it would be tough as nails, but if you do go through with it you will need to figure out a way to get the liner almost smooth up toward the top since the bezel fits so tight. But if you do it, please post pics because id love to see it! :huh:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Rhino Lining and Line-x both are extremely rough and coarse! Very thick with large chunks of rubber in it, that being said, you wouldnt be able to get it to high up on the body otherwise the bezel wouldnt screw all the way down. I think its a neat idea and it would be tough as nails, but if you do go through with it you will need to figure out a way to get the liner almost smooth up toward the top since the bezel fits so tight. But if you do it, please post pics because id love to see it! :huh:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to take all the parts off and rhino them individually. The head, body, and bezel I'm going place wooden boards on each side flush with the top/bottom so that when I spray it I'm going to remove the boards and it should be flat on the top/bottom. Because like you said, the threads are very precise and if its not flat it wont screw correctly.

And yes, there will be lots of pics.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd focus it the way I wanted, then coat the whole light. As the liner cured, I'd go around with a utility knife and cut through the liner layer at the bezel and tailcap. I don't think there's really a reason not to coat the head-body joint.

swampgator

Enlightened
I would think that if you put it on with a small brush loading only a little of the Rhino goo it wouldn't run and would stay where you put it. I would mask off the threads somehow and stand the the body vertically then coat it , starting at the top and working down. For the head you could stuff a rag in the hole to protect the treads. Not sure how I'd do the tailcap or bezel.

If any got on the threads I'd imagine a dose of Xylene would clean them up.

Post photos if you try it. I've got half a can of the stuff left over from a four wheerler project.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I'd focus it the way I wanted, then coat the whole light. As the liner cured, I'd go around with a utility knife and cut through the liner layer at the bezel and tailcap. I don't think there's really a reason not to coat the head-body joint.

I see what your saying, but I'm trying to mod the Mag and retain its focusing feature. If I where to spray it with the head attached it would lock it there forever. And I knife would not do the job (from past experience). I work at an automotive event company and we had a car platform Rhino'd. The platform is 4 box's together, and when they sprayed it with all of them together touching it locked them in there. We tried pulling them apart but the coating was half an inch thick. We tried using a knife to cut throuigh but that didnt do anything. We ended up buying a special saw and cut them apart.

That stuff is TOUGH.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you won't miss the focusing feature of the Maglite, you could get a Terralux TLE-300M-EX drop in and then spray the bedliner coating on it. That drop in upgrade eliminates the focusing feature anyway so you wouldn't have to worry about locking the head in place with the coating.

If you try it, please post pictures.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! My friend was getting his truck bed rhino coated today, it was a perfect oppertunity, so I went with him and brought 2 Maglite 3D's with me!
I'm having every visible surface of the light rhino'd. I screwed on the cap all the way and drew a line on where I want the coating to stop; this will allow the head to be unscrewed and/or focused.
I dropped the lights off with him today, I will pick up the Mag's on Monday. I plan on putting P7's in and selling them here.
I'll make a new thread in the BST section hopefully on Monday.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe I just talked to our Rhino Liner dealer, and I quote.

"You want to coat what?"

What did yours charge if anything? If I get this done, this may be a do it yourself deal. The dealer did not sound enthused at the prospect.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, also forgot to note the Rhino liner guy said was 100 minimum. Though I expect they would do multiple lights for that price. They sounded dubious and kept telling me it's not paint.

The Line X guys sounded more interested.