Any good Boot Camp Stories?

tattoou2

Enlightened
Any good boot camp stories?

While undergoing basic training at Parris Island back in the late 60's, our platoon was assigned mess hall duty at the very end of our training which extended the basic training by two weeks. I was assigned the dubious distinction of being in charge of the scullery, that portion of the mess hall where we washed and scrubbed all the pots and pans. In turn, another guy from my platoon was in charge of us and his job was to serve the drill instructors, NCO's, and a few officers. Here we were wearing heavy rubber aprons, boots, rubber gloves, sloshing around all day, and he was wearing immaculate white. After toiling and washing, and scrubbing cauldron-sized pots and pans all day for a week or so, our nerves became a bit frazzled especially when he would come into the scullery hatch and demand we hurry up and get those pots gleaming. After a few more days with this guy grumbling at us almost constantly, I had about enough. He walked into the scullery and demanded that we get the pots gleaming. We all looked at each other, at the pots and saw they were almost like mirrors, so shiny and sparkling clean. While he was continuing to mouth off, I hit him. I hit him so hard he hit the wet, sloshy deck and went flying and sliding out of the scullery on his back and promptly hit the DI's table and upset it, meals flying every which way, DI's scrambling, and my knowing I was now a dead man. My two DI's grabbed me and hustled me out back.

I recall my DI yelling and screaming at me while I explained why I hit him. After minutes of wrathful cursing, the DI just smiled and said, "Today, you are a Marine." I then shook hands with my adversary, and both of us were ordered to clean up the mess. Upon graduation, he and I were both assigned to advanced infantry training together. Following that, we were both assigned to recon training and then sniper school together. Over the following months, he and I became best friends. We were brothers. He later became my spotter in Nam. One late, hot afternoon while standing and adjusting his ghillie suit, he was shot and died in my arms. In fact, today is the date of his death.

Semper Fi, George! Hope we'll be together again someday, Bro!

JOshooter

Enlightened
Wow, it brings a tear to my eye. One of the last things on my list to become is a sniper for the military because of the apparent threat to my health. However I am a pretty good shot with a rifle, I just got back 2 weeks ago from competing in the Junior Olympics for Air Rifle. Could you tell me how sniper traning was to help me with my desicion?

ewick

Enlightened
Damn, tattoou2, there's nothing to say except that I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Quick story:

I went through Parris Island in 3rd BN, which is pretty far from civilization. All females to through 4th BN, and most of your civilian traffic stays close to the main gate, so we rarely ever saw women.

About 2 months in, the 4th BN chow hall decides to shut down for a week for leave purposes. So in order to feed all the female recruits, they bussed them over to 3rd's chow hall. Well, you can imagine the excitement.

We were standing in line for lunch one day, and in walks this gorgeous female D.I. And I don't mean gorgeous as in "the best looking woman I've seen in two months", I mean absolutely good looking. And she's strutting around, keeping an eye on her recruits, while we watched out of the corners of our eyes.

So my buddy behind me whispers something to the effect of "Man, what would you do...", and I whispered my reply. Except it wasn't my buddy. It was our heavy. Apparently he'd been watching us for a few minutes, and decided he'd have a little fun.

Needless to say, we missed lunch, and spent the rest of the day in the pit paying for our loss of bearing. I still haven't quite gotten over the whole sand issue.

Semper Fidelis!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
brite one, That's what I thought.

I have one to tell but need more time to compose than what's available at the moment. Boot Camp stories are some of the best.

tattoou2

Enlightened
brite one---

First, say hi to your dad for me:

Basically, sniper school hasn't changed all that much from when I was in the Marines. As far as I know the following still applies:

Two of the better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a Recon unit or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.
The other way is to be sent to an Infantry Battalion and then volunteer for the Scout/Sniper Platoon. The S/S Plt runs indocs annually and pulls in personnel from the BN.
Each Sniper unit runs its own version of the indoc but they are all extremely difficult. Once in the unit you will go through all the training to become a sniper before ever going to S/S School. Once at the school you will be expected to have all the basic knowledge of a Scout/Sniper and the advanced knowledge of an infantry Marine. You will show up with everything that you will need to make it through the school including your ghillie suit. There are no second chances at the school and drops are a daily occurrence.
Marine Snipers are generally regarded as the best snipers in the world. There is a reason for that!

Indoc Training: Minimum Requirements: Male, volunteer, 0300-Infantry MOS, E2 - E7, 01-03 0302 or 0203, expert rifleman, having a second class or higher swim qualification, a first-class score on their Physical Fitness Test (PFT), eye sight correctable to 20/20, not color blind, no office hours or Non-Judicial Punishments within last 6 months, qualify for a secret security clearance, and posses a GT score of 110 or higher.

Marine Corps PFT: For a perfect score: 3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunch's under two minutes.

Obstacle course: Tests upper body strength and should be completed around a minute.

Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.

Basic Infantry knowledge is a must as is land navigation. Failure of one evolution will fail you from the indoc. They will supply all special material, you will supply your own war and writing gear. You must Bring all needed uniforms. A high first class PFT is mandatory. All events should be passed with 80% or better. Medical drops will be allowed to retest in the future. DORs(drop on request) or quitters will not be allowed to retest at a later date. This is an individual and team effort. They want to evaluate you and how you work with the group. Patrolling is with a full combat load. If you can't hump at least 70 Lbs you probably will not make it! Stay in shape and stay motivated. Indocs usually wash out 80% with some finishing at 100% failure. PREPARE!

Once a Marine is a sound Sniper he is then sent to an 11 week Scout/Sniper School. Upon successful completion of Scout/Sniper School a Scout/Sniper can attend many professional military schools. Among these are: Airborne, Pathfinder, Ranger, Combat Diver, Basic Reconnaissance Course, Mountain warfare & assault climber, Jungle operations, specialized training in urban tactics, Close Quarters Battle & shooting skills, demolitions, communications, photography, sketching, controlling aircraft landing operations and directing Airstrikes, Naval Gunfire and Artillery.

"One shot, one kill"

Semper Fi!

tattoou2

Enlightened
ewick: thanks for sharing that one....LOL!

Today is a special day for me....the memories are always present somehow; they never go away. I just needed to share this story. I'm still healing from two tours in country...thanks guys for letting me share this with you.

dark star

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tattoou2 said:...no office hours or Non-Judicial Punishments within last 6 months...

[/ QUOTE ] that would pretty much disqualify any real Marines ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
We had been at OCS for about 16 hours. Our hair was still civilian length/average Air Force length and we were still wearing "civies". We were rustled out of the rack at 0400, we had gotten in the rack at 0355. They had to allow us to "sleep" so not to break any rules. We formed up and headed for chow. One of the guys, never learned his name started saying, "**** and drive" all the way over to the chow hall, about a 10 minute walk. We weren't allowed to march yet and would be chastised if we tried. Once formed up outside the chow hall we entered by platoon and ours was the last to go in. The whole time we were eating chow, all 3 minutes, this guy was shoving food down his throat while still repeating, "**** and drive." He finally jumped up and ran to put his tray in the slot, you aren't allowed to run in the chow hall so the D.I's were screaming at him but he didn't pay any attention. He was now screaming, "**** and drive" as he bolted out the door. He was running full speed for the Potomac River while continuing to scream the now infamous words. He was tackled by two D.I"s that were waiting outside with their platoon. We soon followed him outside to see what would happen and because our leisurely breakfast was over. The level of volume of, "**** and drive" was now at an all time high as he was held on the ground. We were formed back up and not allowed to look and then we waited and waited as he continued to scream. Two hospital types showed up a little while later with a straight jacket. A little brawl ensued that we could hear but not see. The next thing we see is this guy being lead away in a straight jacket while continuing to scream, "**** and drive." By the time we got back to the barracks his locker was cleaned out.

Six weeks later my bunkmate went to Bethesda Naval Hospital for some knee problems and guess who was there? He didn't see him but he did hear about him from one of the hospital staff talking about the guy that got out of his room and was running down the hall screaming "**** and drive" while President Reagan was in the hospital. The rest of the story had something to do with the Secret Service being pissed. This poor guy had a nervous breakdown in the first and easiest 16 hours of OCS.

"**** and drive" is the command for learning to do a facing movement. On the first day the D.I., called Sgt. Instructor at OCS, taught you how to perform a left and right face maneuver. When he said, "Right Face" we would have to say in unison, "**** and drive"

I should have got his name. He's probably a Senator now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif