rayovac sportsman extreme 70l mini lantern

spock

Enlightened
did search and could not find this in cpf. extreme 300l has a baby brother, the extreme 70l mini lantern. low and high switch with a runtime of 72 hr. on low. takes 3 AAA batteries. amazon has it for $14 plus ship. you can see it
here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H9NR6C/?tag=cpf0b6-20 . thinking of buying one to use as a small emergency light in each room. we bought some small ones (like river rock) from costco for about $8 each and they are very "ringy". think they are going back. is this hot linking?

duboost

Enlightened
I have one and it's pretty good for the price. It's brighter than my stock sylvania 4AA and comparable with my sylvaniaa 4AA modded w/ a P4 (to my eyes). Although the one thing i noticed is that it has a lot less of the rubber covering that the 3D sportsman has. Although in the pics it looks like the body is covered in rubber also, it's really just black plastic, unlike the 3D. The only parts protected with rubber are the 4 corners of the bottom and the grip part of the handle. Everything else is plastic, so it doesn't feel quite as "rugged" as the 3D model. Although being much smaller and lighter i suppose it would handle a drop decently anyway (i've dropped my 3D sportsman a bunch of times and that thing just keeps on going). Brightness wise, it's a good bargain for <$15. My only real complaint is the same as the 3D, which is how the base is somewhat of a pain to screw on as you need to line up the tabs.

MorePower

Enlightened
did search and could not find this in cpf. extreme 300l has a baby brother, the extreme 70l mini lantern. low and high switch with a runtime of 72 hr. on low. takes 3 AAA batteries. amazon has it for $14 plus ship. you can see it
here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H9NR6C/?tag=cpf0b6-20 . thinking of buying one to use as a small emergency light in each room. we bought some small ones (like river rock) from costco for about $8 each and they are very "ringy". think they are going back. is this hot linking?

It takes 3 AA cells, not 3 AAA cells.

TPA

Enlightened
I agree with everything duboost said. I have multiple 3D and 3AA ROV lanterns. Just about every time I grab for the 3D. Physical size and battery size is where the 3AA has an advantage. I personally use the ROV 3D with AA->D adapters that came with my eneloops. Even running the 3D off AAs, I get more than sufficient runtime for all of the outings I've used them for thus far.

Not sure why, but I usually buy them in pairs (1 3D + 1 3AA). Despite not being quite as bright as the 3D, I still find them incredibly useful and have them all over the house.

Overall, if you're only going to have one lantern, get the 3D. If you're going to have multiple, the 3AA's quite good.

spock

Enlightened
morepower, you are correct, it uses 3 AA batteries, not AAA.
duboost, i just bought the 300l extreme and love it. small, uses 3 D batteries, light output has no rings at all. thanks for feedback on both lights. going to buy one more 300l extreme(lowes $25)and a few of the 70 lumen from amazon($14).

airecon

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting one of these lanterns. Can I use Eneloop Ni-Mh batteries in it? Since I don't plan on using it often, would it be better to use alkalines?