Getting rid of dust

KuKu427

Enlightened
I am really glad I found this subforum. Perhaps if I work hard enough at it, I can take pictures like the ones shown here.

My problems is this... Dust specks... I wipe and brush before I shoot but it still persists and I usually notice it only after I load the pictures on the computer... Is there another way to get rid of them? Blasting with compressed air perhaps?

18650b.jpg

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find shooting on a less glossy surface helps allot, as for the dust on the light.. you have too much dust in the room :p try shooting the scene darker.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photoshop :poke:

I find a microfiber towel gets rid of most dust, and compressed air generally gets rid of the rest. I'm not picky enough to bother though :D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few questions

Is this a point and shoot digital camera?
If it is, the only dust control you have is on the outside of the camera lens.

Is this a DSLR?
There are few places that dust can be a problem.
If you change lenses - does the dust stay in the same place ?
Check the front and rear lens elements for dust.
There could be dust on the sensor - my camera has a procedure for keeping the mirror locked up to gently blow off the sensor.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys.
I try to stay away from Photoshop as most of the items I am photographing will be for sale and I want to keep it as true to life as possible. The most I do to the pix are cropping and in the case of tritium pix, over exposing.
I am wiping with a cloth and brushing with a lens brush. I will pick up some compressed air cans and give that a try.
I am using a Panasonic LX-3. So I guess it's considered a point and shoot. The lens is clean. The dust is on the light and background. The more pictures I look at the more I think it's me cause other people don't seem to have this dust problem like I do...

DoctaDink

Enlightened
You might consider a different background on which to shoot. The texture and color of the one you are using tends to highlight and reveal the dust. Some of the "spots" appear to be specular highlights. Is the surface a synthetic (Vinyl)? It may be building up static charges to attract the dust. Using diffuse lighting, rather than specular lighting (as from a flash), might help as well.
As regards dust removal, I'd first recommend a vacuum with a HEPA filter, prior to any compressed air which tends to stir up dust, and possibly exacerbate the problem. I've found a cheap, synthetic duster that can be bought cheaply at a Dollar store or automotive parts supply, etc. (or a P & G Swiffer) works well for "dusting" the item and background. Followed by a slightly moistened cloth (such as the previously mentioned microfiber cloth).
Lastly, I wouldn't avoid Photoshop for cleaning up the image, as long as you are not modifying the item you are selling. I don't think dust removal would bother any buyer (just don't remove scratches, stains, or other defects that would affect value).

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Wow.. HEPA vacuum ... $300+ :broke:
You don't have to use a true, certified HEPA vacuum (though that would be preferable). Most people already have access to home or shop vacuums for other purposes, so I wasn't suggesting that you go out and spend hundreds of dollars just to take a photo. The point I was making, is that a vacuum would be better than just a shot of compressed air, because the compressed air will just stir up more dust, and a vacuum will tend to remove it .However, the discharge from the vac. can also stir up or redistribute the dust, so you have to try to capture it (HEPA filters trap 99.97% or particles .3 microns or larger). and also prevent the discharge from blowing over dust laden surfaces. A sparse room, with no carpet/drapes and other dust collecting surfaces, etc.
Or, just build a Laminar Flow Clean Room and gown up...:eek:

gallagho

Enlightened
Google "Giottos Rocket Air Blaster" it's a good product, no chance of propellant contamination from canned air either.
I use one in the lab for front surface mirrors, that and methanol soaked lens tissue.

Last edited:

KuKu427

Enlightened
Right now I am using a can of compressed air to blast the light before photographing and brushing it down after I put it on the BG.

I am also using low BG lighting with long exposure times and a little photoshopping.

Results:
P1060356.jpg

Still some lint on the flashlight window though. :duh2: