Why do I pay so much for a flashlight?

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Because this is the alternative...5 dollar Rayovac.

WebCam_20100324_2357.jpg

My girlfriend gets pissed when I spend 50 to 100 dollars on a single light. I now know why. This is the light she keeps in her glove box for "emergencies"....good luck with that. Well...now I guess I gotta replace this garbage. We've been together 3 years and I just found this and I cant stand for it!

Any suggestions on a light for her with EXTREMELY simple UI?...because that will be the key to her ever usin it. I like Lumapower alot...I wonder if they have any simple two mode lights? Shes in egypt right now so maybe I can surprise her when she gets back.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
EZ AA, simple 2-mode twist.
Or EZ CR2 because ladies usually prefer the smaller the better. (er... for flashlights I mean)

I'm thinking of Aeon too but I think she's going to kill you when she finds out the price.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does she even need a light with a ui? I would get her something that is relatively bright, has a nice beam pattern and a good tint. I think those things will impress her more than modes.

branespload

Newly Enlightened
because ladies usually prefer the smaller the better.

:thinking:

haha, no but in all seriousness I don't think size is the concern here, since it will replace her emergency glovebox light. I gave my pops an Eagletac p10c2 and he likes it, it's simple enough.

maybe an eagletac running on lithium primary AAs can do the trick? they're pretty nice quality for the price..

good luck

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awww man, what girls you been hangin with?:poke::nana:

+1 on the EZAA, doesn't get much easier to use and like Zeruel said: They like small things!:shrug::p

Dude, you pervert!
Ok, I got owned on that. It's edited. :crackup:

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Does she even need a light with a ui? I would get her something that is relatively bright, has a nice beam pattern and a good tint. I think those things will impress her more than modes.

By simple I guess I was thinkin just 2 modes...low and high. Good point tho.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Because this is the alternative...5 dollar Rayovac.

WebCam_20100324_2357.jpg

My girlfriend gets pissed when I spend 50 to 100 dollars on a single light. I now know why. This is the light she keeps in her glove box for "emergencies"....good luck with that. Well...now I guess I gotta replace this garbage. We've been together 3 years and I just found this and I cant stand for it!

Any suggestions on a light for her with EXTREMELY simple UI?...because that will be the key to her ever usin it. I like Lumapower alot...I wonder if they have any simple two mode lights? Shes in egypt right now so maybe I can surprise her when she gets back.

omg, that beam pattern is disgusting. Nothing like impressing your girlfriend like getting here a nice light. Haha, but seriously, I wouldnt get anything with multiple modes. Just a simple on-off would be fine.

jackaloop

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on a light for her with EXTREMELY simple UI?...because that will be the key to her ever usin it.

Jetbeam E3P. High/Low by loosening the head. The best part: Kinda high end lipstick design :) my girlfriend doesn't like flashlights at all (at least she pretends so, if she's momentarily not in need of one) but the E3P is as close as it can get...

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
One of the Coleman Max lights they have at Walmart might be good here. They're relatively inexpensive, bright, and are single mode. It's what I gave my wife when I found out she didn't have a flashlight at ALL in her purse or car.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the fenix tk20? Has the nice tint and rubber grip which is good for use in a glovebox since it can get cold in winter. Simple 2 modes. Uses AA's. I've heard it can be a bit throwy, but I think its a good option.

I feel guilty because I always push my favorite lights and also my most recent purchases, but you should also check out the romisen rc-c6 with a 2xAA extension tube. Has a great beam pattern, can do flood and throw, uses AA's or cr123's, and comes in a warm option. The only real downside to it is that the two modes are very very close.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Nitecore EZ AA. I don't own it but I have played around with it and I think it is a very nice light with very simple UI for a lady.

Alternatively, you could get the rather affordable Quark MiNi AA with XP-G emitter at only $39 inclusive of shipping. My MiNi AA is the Neutral White version which is no longer available from 4sevens but the XP-G version is a little brighter and has a little bit more flood.

And if it is going to be in the glove compartment, I would strongly suggest using primary lithium AA batteries as it is much more stable than alkaline which may leak.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if it is going to be in the glove compartment, I would strongly suggest using primary lithium AA batteries as it is much more stable than alkaline which may leak.

Ditto. I'd also recommend a single cell light just to eliminate potential problems with multi cells. Throw a spare cell in a plastic baggy with it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given my wife three good lights and she has "misplaced" them all. She says she knows where they are but she never has them on hand when she needs a light. I've given her a P2D twice and a Quark Tactical 123. I use to be proud and think one day I will give her a Surefire E1B or E1L, not any more. So because of my experience I would suggest as cheap as possible but something your still comfortable enough that it will work.

Something like the Coleman lights at Walmart like another member suggested.

headophile

Enlightened
2-mode, 2xaa light sounds right for the situation. she'd probably just lose a small, single-cell light and 2-mode is simple enough.

i'd wait for the upcoming fenix tk21 for that purpose if i were in your shoes, or i'd mod a 2xaa maglite in whatever color/design she wants.

McAllan

Enlightened

Since M*gLites are cheap where you live I'd suggest the "new" MiniMag multimode. After all you have to think about it's probably not treated very nice and can be "misplaced" at any moment. IMHO not worth trashing a high end light like that. Many non-flashaholics think of a light as if it was a free advertising ball pen - something you don't give many thoughts (until you need it). If she treats the MM well and manages to handle the UI you can consider buying her a better (more expensive) light.

The MM is reasonable powerful but of course not those monsters we like. UI is simple. It defaults to high mode after a second or two of power off. She can forget about those modes - you of course will teach her for a start - but no big deal as it can be used anyway not having to think about how to get out of an unwanted mode.

Lube it with Super Lube to get threads super smooth and reduce wear.
Load it with lithiums to avoid alkaline leaks as it's probably mostly "used" in the glove box for months at a time anyway.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single cell light would be hard to find in a glove box in the dark. A single mode 2AA like the Fenix E20 would do.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt that the iTP A2 would be perfect ... Even the smaller iTP A3 (in a pretty colour) would be OK ... AA and AAA batteries are easy to find when she goes shopping too ... If you really want to impress , these also come in stainless and the A3 also comes in titanium though they are a bit more expensive.

Get her an iTP torch and she will surely "see the light".

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
There's no point in trying to impress your girlfriend with a new flashlights. Girls will always like their handbags, but us CPF guys will always appreciate our lights.