Does your EDC light follow you on short trips away?

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
OK so I've read tons of threads about EDC lights but are they just for everyday use around the home and workplace? What do you guys bring on shorts trips (< 5 days) away from home? By the same token, what batteries do you bring along for the trip? Primaries? Or do you lug along your charger and rechargables? Just curious.

Cheers?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have a Quark Tactical 123*2 XP-G R5, which fits comfortably in my pocket. It's with me all the time. I keep an extra set of batteries in my car. End of story. :rolleyes:

Niconical

Enlightened
My EDC is always with me, if I'm dressed, I have it. The only time it is not in my pocket is when I have travelled by air, in which case I put it in checked luggage, in a sealed plastic box along with a few CR123A as I don't use rechargeables. I don't have it in the luggage loaded with batts though.

Family events, weddings etc, can get tricky due to me having to suit up, but one way or another, it's in a pocket along with my other EDC stuff.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The modded E2L goes everywhere. At home it uses a 17670, while away it uses 2xCR123A. Zebralight gets 1XCR123A in place of a R123. Cameras get lithiums instead of rechargeables, too.
I guess if you're one of those people who travel constantly, taking chargers and rechargeables everywhere might make sense, but I only travel for vacations, so can't see doing that.

curiousone1

Newly Enlightened
Right now, I EDC a Nitecore EX10 (RCR123) and a Quark 123 Ti (RCR123). For formal occasions, I switch to my Lummi Wee NS (small enough to fit comfortably in pocket and the "gold" color works well). I have a spare RCR123 in my pocket and I carry a Nano charger with me just in case. But I always have something on me - 'cuz you never know.........

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time it is not in my pocket is when I have travelled by air, in which case I put it in checked luggage, in a sealed plastic box along with a few CR123A as I don't use rechargeables. I don't have it in the luggage loaded with batts though.
Why would you do all that?

Niconical

Enlightened
Why would you do all that?

Because I don't want to risk having it confiscated by airport security. You and me know it's a flashlight, but if the wrong person sees it the wrong way, I'll most likely never see it again. Anyway, I don't need it on the plane (hopefully).

Igor Porto

Enlightened
My EDC stays on me even if I go away for a few days, plus I add a few others to the backpack.

Oops, forgot to tell that I bring a lot of rechargeables already charged and a charger for emergencies.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Or do you lug along your charger and rechargables? Just curious.

Two of my three 'traveling lights' contain rechargeables, but I seldom carry spares (maybe one set for each, depending on the trip), let alone a charger. That's what low modes are for:
  • SureFire L1 / 1xCR123 : ~16 hours of runtime on 'low' w/ a fresh primary
  • Fenix LD01 & SL SP body / 2xAAA Duraloops: ~6 hours of runtime on 'low'
  • SureFire 6P / M60 / 1x 18650: Very many hours on the ~5-lumen low (120 ohm McC2S in tailcap)
So by carrying just three spare rechargeable cells (2xAAA & 1x18650) & no charger, I figure I have more potential runtime than the total elapsed time of most of my trips. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC = Everyday carry, whether you're at home, work, in the toilet, on a trip, underwater (ask Don) or on the moon (if NASA approves it). The real question lies in how many EDCs am I taking. ;) I bring rechargeables and primaries (just in case).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If it's a short car trip I'll add the QMini123 if I don't have it already, Zebralight H50, Proton Pro, LF3XT, Maratac AAA, some batteries, and a charger. Then there's those extras you throw in at the last minute. :laughing:

Geoff

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, took my L0D to Miami and Pensylvania (business trips), then I got a quark AA neutral, so I started taking that one with me.

I kept the L0d in my pocket, but I put my Quark AA in my carry-on. No problems ever so far and I was on the plane at least 6 times last year, 4 of those international flights. I'll most likely bring it on longer trips too.

I haven't had to change any batteries in it, since I haven't used it so far while on a trip (aside camping trips, obviously). I feed it NiMh and have at least one NiMh spare just in case, but it would most likely be used in my MP3 player. I've had the same setup for 3 day trips, 5 day trips and up to 12 days trips (International, since I'm from Canada).

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had a McGizmo or an HDS out of my pocket in 4+ years. :wave:

Anyway, I don't need it on the plane (hopefully).

:thinking: :rolleyes: :green:

Flashlights are legal on airplanes.

Bring a self addressed postage paid box when you fly. If anyone tries to confiscate something, get out of line and mail it to yourself from the airport.

Flying without a light is insane and on CPF, a bannable offense. :thumbsup:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'll echo Zeruel's thoughts: an edc (every day carry) light is designed to be with you no matter where you go; it should always be on your person.

In fact, if I'm going away for a few days, I'm likely to have more flashlights, not less - maybe my EDC (a Draco) plus another CR123-based light like a Ra Clicky, Surefire LX2, or Quark 123. After all, when I'm gone, I don't have access to all the flashlights normally stashed around my house, my car, my office, etc. - I just have the ones I've brought on the trip.

- FITP

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
EDC = Everyday carry, whether you're at home, work, in the toilet, on a trip, underwater (ask Don) or on the moon (if NASA approves it). The real question lies in how many EDCs am I taking. ;) I bring rechargeables and primaries (just in case).

Don, we need to see a PD on the moon! Pull the strings and make it happen!

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Exactly, with the only difference so far with my usage is that I tend to carry primary back ups should I feel the need for back ups if the three plus lights that I am hauling will actually kill and or deplete all of their cells. Back ups for sure if I am in an Incandescent kind of mood.:kiss:

Niconical

Enlightened
:thinking: :rolleyes: :green:

Flashlights are legal on airplanes.

Bring a self addressed postage paid box when you fly. If anyone tries to confiscate something, get out of line and mail it to yourself from the airport.

That would be great, but unfortunately the flashlight is metal, and heavy, making it "any blunt tool or object that could cause injury". I think I could talk my way through that though, after all, you can hit someone with a laptop, but that doesn't make it a "blunt tool". However, I don't want to ever find out the hard way and lose $100+ of Surefire. Also, the Guardia Civil don't 'try' to confiscate anything, if they want it, they got it, end of story. Finally, no mailbox at airport.

I do have a user 6P that I could manage without, maybe next time I'll try that, see how far it gets.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main EDC light whatever that may be for any given day in holster belt carried and then a few in a back pack, most important I go no where overnight without my Zebralight 501.

Niconical

Enlightened
The Zebralights seem to get quite a lot of mention in these "what/when do you carry?" type threads.

I might have to look into one of the warm tint ones, see what I'm missing.

carrot

Flashaholic
Of course. Flashlights always come in handy when you least expect it. I pretty much only have CR123 lights so I make sure to carry plenty of spares as well, although sometimes some of my few AA based lights will sneak their way into my bag. ICON Rogue 2 and Peak El Capitan have been top contenders for that.

Latest posts