whats a good lantern to mod with a red LED

Illum

Flashaholic
Forget the 8D lanterns, something that can fit in a duffel.
Is there any lanterns out there that can be modded with a red LED without excessive pulling and prying?

Since white LEDs have a higher foward voltage than reds, either two LEDs will have to be used or a resistor in place if the spatial limitations are a concern.

Any recommendations?:)

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit more info would help...how bright, how rugged do you need,
can you tolerate 5mm LEDs etc.

I would guess something like the Rock River 3AA, but have never
done a mod on one of those (yet).

Dave

Illum

Flashaholic
I figured I can refine the results after seeing examples but maybe your right about giving details ahead.

5mms is fine, consider it astronoically friendly [not a high intensity light]
Preferrably dimmable, low mode etc.

Osram/Sylvania lanterns are wonderful, but I can't find any sources around here:candle:

Sure thats right Beam? I haven't found them yet

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there is a resistor in the sylvania lanterns you can replace that should allow you to just use a red cree in them.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
kool, more for me =P

:thanks:

When I have time I'll break one open and see about modding it

Gotta laugh...I have a cheap dollar-store look-alike of the Sylvania
lantern, which runs on 3AA's. Sanding the clear dome cut down the
glare from four 5mm LEDs. I had it apart, amazingly was able to fit it
back together. Small PCB with LEDs looks easily modifiable. Tiny 5.1
ohm SMT resistor could be increased for red LEDs. Advantage of the
4AA lanterns over this one is possible series connection of two reds,
cutting down battery use.

Dave

Illum

Flashaholic
Gotta laugh...I have a cheap dollar-store look-alike of the Sylvania
lantern, which runs on 3AA's. Sanding the clear dome cut down the
glare from four 5mm LEDs. I had it apart, amazingly was able to fit it
back together. Small PCB with LEDs looks easily modifiable. Tiny 5.1
ohm SMT resistor could be increased for red LEDs. Advantage of the
4AA lanterns over this one is possible series connection of two reds,
cutting down battery use.

Dave

I've once taken the Sylvania apart before, one of the cells leaked and it coated the inside [the lantern was not upright when it happened] of the light. I was able to take a picture of the diamond dragon[?] emitter, theres a decent heatsink in the center as well as a driver circuit. I'm pretty certain I can use two red CREEs side by side and if too wide, two red luxeons

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've once taken the Sylvania apart before, one of the cells leaked and it coated the inside [the lantern was not upright when it happened] of the light. I was able to take a picture of the diamond dragon[?] emitter, theres a decent heatsink in the center as well as a driver circuit. I'm pretty certain I can use two red CREEs side by side and if too wide, two red luxeons

no need for 2 red crees, there is a resistor you can replace with a higher value and drive one cree at whatever you want and on the bottom of the circuit board there is a place you can put another resistor to adjust to low output even more. I have a lantern using a cree XRE Q5 with a 250ma high and ~25ma low instead of 400ma+ high.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189628&page=6check posts 217+

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
no need for 2 red crees, there is a resistor you can replace with a higher value and drive one cree at whatever you want and on the bottom of the circuit board there is a place you can put another resistor to adjust to low output even more. I have a lantern using a cree XRE Q5 with a 250ma high and ~25ma low instead of 400ma+ high.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189628&page=6check posts 217+

which resistor were you referring to?
24o66w8.jpg

xdruko.jpg

jkhy5l.jpg

5f3o7q.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The resistor is R5 on the top side back left (looking from the front switch side). On the last picture it is in front to the left of the chip with HD on it (backwards writtend HD). I don't recall the value of it but I believe increasing the value decreases the current (voltage probably with it). You have to remove it. I would recommend getting a 500-1k ohm pot and dialing it down to match your preferred output, then finding a matching resistor to replace it with. In the second picture there is two pads on the board (by a label GND1) you can put a resistor across and they will adjust output for both levels also. It has been awhile but I figure you could set the high output first and then using the bottom pads adjust the low up/down.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
The resistor is R5 on the top side back left (looking from the front switch side). On the last picture it is in front to the left of the chip with HD on it (backwards writtend HD). I don't recall the value of it but I believe increasing the value decreases the current (voltage probably with it). You have to remove it. I would recommend getting a 500-1k ohm pot and dialing it down to match your preferred output, then finding a matching resistor to replace it with. In the second picture there is two pads on the board (by a label GND1) you can put a resistor across and they will adjust output for both levels also. It has been awhile but I figure you could set the high output first and then using the bottom pads adjust the low up/down.

this is a good starting point. but first I'll severe the LED and measure its current, thats my next weekend activity

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
this is a good starting point. but first I'll severe the LED and measure its current, thats my next weekend activity

I never did that, only measurements I made were at the battery input level. one thing I found hard to remember was the plastic C clip on the switch, I kept forgetting how it went on. :whistle: