Any pocketwatch wearers here?

Illum

Flashaholic
I sent my pocketwatch in for repairs after the fork seized, the watchmaker looked at me and said with a smile "you're the first in a long time to ask for pocketwatch repairs":eek:

When I was still in Taiwan some 15 years ago I was given a Molnija Capercailye for reasons I no longer recall. Since 2000 it seized and I left it in storage. I found it recently and I thought enough was enough, I had to start wearing it again. It was loud yes..compared to all the watches in the house, but I long missed the sound it makes. So I paid up $65 and had it repaired, tuned and oiled.

I have a $20 Fossil pocketwatch but its quartz, not analog...and I have the habit of picking it up and before putting it on my belt, give it a couple twists. Its an old habit after using analog watches, thats the first thing you do before the pushups, before the shave, and before breakfast every morning

I think I've had 2-3 analog watches with me, though only two can be accounted for curremntly: the silver Molnija and a Golden Retax.

I'm thinking of picking this one up, http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Soviet-Molnija-Mechanical-Pocket-Watch-WA365-/360207429781
Since 2007 Molnija stopped producing clockwork series 3603, 3602 and 3600, I'm fairly certain the Capercailye is 3602, this is most unfortunate.

I'm curious how many people out there still wears pocket watches over wrist watches? Are they analog?

Last edited:

Bigdazz19

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I have a couple of mechanical pocket watches. I use my most expensive one, a solid silver Waltham half hunter circa 1910, for best when wearing a jacket.
I also have two English Smiths' pocket watches which I have on a stand and use for just casually checking the time during the day. The Smiths' remind me of my mining days when these type of watches were the best to use underground as digital weren't allowed.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO pocket watches that I "use", but have two in a display case.
All my watches are "mechanical". No battery watches for me.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a Victorinox quartz pocket watch for the last 15 years.
It is the only watch I have, so it is carried every single day.
I would call it fairly hard usage, construction work, truck driving, canoe spills, etc.
Other than battery replacements, no issues whatsoever.