Fallkniven U2

JohnF

Enlightened
Got one, and love it. It is the sharpest 'out of box' edge I've seen on any knife. We'll see how easy it is to sharpen when it needs it.

What is the line (circled) on both sides of the blade a few mm above the edge? Almost looks like a plastic blade coating that ends there, but maybe not?

knife.jpg

Thanks for your help,

John F

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blade is a laminated steel made of three layers. The center layer has properties that make a good edge and the outer layers are more for strength and stain resistance. The line you see is the junction between the outer layer and the inner layer.

JohnF

Enlightened
The blade is a laminated steel made of three layers. The center layer has properties that make a good edge and the outer layers are more for strength and stain resistance. The line you see is the junction between the outer layer and the inner layer.

Thanks. Any tips on sharpening this that might be different than other knives? Nothing fancy here, I use just a stone or a Lansky.

John F

hatman

Enlightened

What Cave Dave said.

It is one terrific blade, isn't it. Excellent size and shape for EDCing. Light -- you hardly know it's in your pocket. Lacking only a clip (darn.)

I have yet to sharpen mine, but I'd be surprised if you have any troubles.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
What the other guys said.

The laminate in the U2 is even harder than the VG-10 laminates (around 60hrc) & a sharpener like the Crock Stix or Spyderdo would be a good bet for relatively easy, consistent results.

A ceramic knife steel & a couple light, precise strokes to each side are often all the super steels need for a long time.

Not sure about Falkniven, but many of the premium makers provide sharpening service free of charge. Given how hard the blade is in the U2(guessing 62ish) it won't need it that often if you tune it occasionally with a ceramic steel.

JohnF

Enlightened
This is a great combination of light weight, sized to disappear in a pocket, but still has just enough size and heft. I'm not over the incredible sharpness of the blade. It has not left my pocket since I got it last week, and have a feeling it'll be there from now on.

Cheap enough that I'm not afraid of wear from constant carry or, God forbid, loss, unlike my carbon fibre William Henry folder which is just a 'dress up' knife now, makes a nice tie clip.

I've used the U2 a bit each day over the week I've had it, waiting for the first signs of dulling so I can attempt to get it sharp again - but no signs of dulling yet. I thought my Sebenza had a pretty good edge, but this U2 is sharp beyond description.

I forget now who mentioned this knife in this forum, but I thank you - usually I'd curse for that person for the money spent, but this was very good money spent. I'm sure if I'd have shopped around I could have saved a few bucks, but got it for $72.90 from knifeworks.com. It arrived 2 days after ordering.

I don't miss a clip, unlike most others. I prefer the knife to sit at the bottom of my left pocket for every day carry. If it were any larger, it would need a clip, but is perfect as it is.

John F