Diving light upgrade 5xCree

HansV

Newly Enlightened
I friend ask me if it was possible to upgrade some old diving lights to LED with dimming possibilities.
The ligts have a large reflector(80-90mm), lantern battery, a water sealed switch and charging plug in the rear.
My plan is to make a battery pack with 6xD NiMh cells that can be charged using the existing connector. This fits nicely in the housing.
I want to use 4-5 Cree XR-E Q5 or XP-G emitters mounted on a thick aluminuim plate that is tooled for a tight fit in the housing, so most of the heat will be transfered out.
I want to use the SKU.20106 driver from DX, this seems to fit nicely with the batteries and what I hope will be the cooling abilities. 15W should give at least 3-4 hours at full light with six 10Ah battey cells.
But I need some advice on what kind of optics that is best fitted for this build. I want something that is attached to the mounting plate and keeps the emitters in place as a standalone unit. Therefore the optics needs to be screwed on to the plate.
I also wonder it I should use reflectors or plastic lenses. DX has both that could fit. Cost is an issue here, as several lights could be modified if the solutions is simple and cheap. I also want somehing that fits good on the XR-E emitters. I have choosen these in favorite of the XP-G's because of cost and that most Cree optics are made for the large lens emitters.
I think we need a 20-30 degree beam. It don't need to be too tight, because the sight distance in Norway is normally not very long.
Another solution is of cause to by a 53mm drop-in module and place in the middle of the mounting plate. I could use a MC-E or a 5xP4 module from DX. This solution will be simpler to biuld, but give less efficiancy and worse heat distribution. The parts cost will be about the same, 25-30$,
not including batteries.
All good advice are welcome, I have not build this kind of light before. The key here is simple and cheap.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is that just because you can't see far is not a reason for a wider beam. When visibility is limited is when you need a narrow beam to cut through the water.

Anyway, I have used the snap on plastic lens for the XR-E emitters and I like them. You could add a little glue if you want to but it's not necessary. You get 5 plastic lens in a package for $3 or so.

I can't give you any advice regarding the rest of the build but someone will I'm sure.

HansV

Newly Enlightened
What kind of lenses? Do you have a DX number or something for them?
I see what you mean with the beam, and I quess you are right about this.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of lenses? Do you have a DX number or something for them?
I see what you mean with the beam, and I quess you are right about this.

It's SKU 1920. It says they're glass but they are really plastic as all of the snap on lens are. They work well though.

HansV

Newly Enlightened
I have allready ordered a pack of those, but have not received them yet. Nice to know that they fit and do the job:)
I also have a XR-E emitter, so I will be able to test the setup.