Foxfury Scout

Thread: Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

Hybrid View

Default Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

Yet another 3AA mini lantern from Coleman. I did a quick search here on CPF and didn't see any mention of it yet. This one is supposedly just hitting the market. I've owned a few Coleman LED AA lanterns over the years and the common problems were artifacts, lack of diffusing, and a funky hi-lo-flash switch that a lot of us really don't like. This new model looks like it has addressed those problems by having a frosted globe and a variable intensity adjustment ring. I like that the low mode goes down to 5 lumens. I sure hope that push button switch is only for basic on and off. Now to see if I can find one at my local Target or Walmart.

Default Re: Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

Checked Target, no luck. I'll have to drive out to Walmart.

Not yet at Walmart either, but I placed an order through Walmart's site-to-store option and it came in today. The price w/tax was $21.72.

Here's the lantern in it's package. Note it's labeled as 5 to 85 lumens. I have a feeling this lantern might be the result of feedback on previous Coleman LED lanterns (micropacker, pack-away) we gave CPF member Blacklight. Blacklight works for Coleman, and maybe he'll post to this thread if he sees it.

I like the frosted globe for cutting down the glare and smoothing out any artifacts. It takes three AA cells and there is no battery carrier, but the battery door detaches and that's something you won't want to lose. The fold-away hanging half-ring is made of metal unlike the micropackers plastic handle. The lantern uses a single LED facing upwards and projecting onto a conical reflector.

The switch is a simple rubber covered on-off switch. I'm so glad Coleman didn't use a multi-mode switch. It's a nuisance to cycle though several pushes just to turn off a light. Instead, there is an intensity adjustment ring. Rotating the ring to the right increases the brightness, while rotating it left dims the lantern. There are no clicks, but turning it you will find it has six brightness levels. I'll post pictures of each setting.

Lowest setting. I assume this is the 5 lumen setting.

Turning the ring a little brings up the next level.

The third level.

The fourth level.

The fifth level.

The sixth and brightest level. This is supposed to be 85 lumens, although I have no way of measuring this.

I need to take this lantern camping sometime to test how practical it really is. I have a feeling the light output will be adequate, and I'm hoping the glare won't be such an issue like when I had the Coleman pack-away lantern with it's clear window. The frosted globe of this lantern will hopefully take much of the glare away from night adapted eyes. The real test of this will be taking it camping.
    Last edited by LowBat; 04-09-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Wow, over 200 views and not a single comment or question. Did I cover everything?

thanks for the review. This looks like a well designed lantern. I like the ring adjustable brightness and the frosted-glare reducing glass.

Quote Originally Posted by javajoe View Post
    thanks for the review. This looks like a well designed lantern. I like the ring adjustable brightness and the frosted-glare reducing glass.
    You're welcome. Yes the adjustment ring is a great idea and it works well. The glass is actually plastic and that's a good thing if it ever gets dropped.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by LowBat View Post
    Wow, over 200 views and not a single comment or question. Did I cover everything?

There was a long thread a while back about this type of lantern, in it someone had actually gone out and purchased the frosted paint to mask the glare as it came with a clear glass, with great success as I recall

It was quite extensive with comparisons and pics of all the brands - maybe searching again will lead you to it

GL

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...+frosted+paint
    Last edited by leeholaaho; 05-18-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by leeholaaho View Post
    There was a long thread a while back about this type of lantern, in it someone had actually gone out and purchased the frosted paint to mask the glare as it came with a clear glass, with great success as I recall

It was quite extensive with comparisons and pics of all the brands - maybe searching again will lead you to it

GL
    I'm familiar with such a thread as I started one 3 1/2 years ago. You can view it here. The experimention with frosting is towards the last page of that thread. I suspect it was these efforts by fellow CPF members that were noticed by Coleman and led to the production of this new model (mentioned in post #3 in this thread).

Flashaholic

Thanks for bringing my attention to this new Cree LED lantern Lowbat. I was not aware of it.
    I really appreciate these new AA type mini-lanterns. Great form factor for lightweight camping or power outages, and although my first River Rock model had the glare issue, these new introductions have resolved this problem. It is great (and wise) that the flashlight companies are listening to some of the comments and suggestions posted here on CPF.
    Fenix L2D, L1D, LOD, P2D, E01, Inova X-5, X-1 v2, Inova Radiant 2aaa, Inova Microlight, Dorcy Super 1 watt, Dorcy 1aaa gen3, RiverRock 2aa Headlight, RiverRock 1W 1aa, RayoVac Sportsmanextreme 1aa Headlight, Nuwai .5Watt 1aaa and 2aaa

Thanks for the review and follow ups on this. Love the fact this light is 3AA. Might have to pick one up - the price is right.

I would have preferred if it was 4 AAs instead of 3 but hey, it looks like it makes up in other areas. I wonder how close the runtimes will come to that of a 2 AA Fenix flashlight, like the LD 20 r4, which I just bought:

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFile...9161946467.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    I would have preferred if it was 4 AAs instead of 3 but hey, it looks like it makes up in other areas. I wonder how close the runtimes will come to that of a 2 AA Fenix flashlight, like the LD 20 r4, which I just bought:

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFile...9161946467.jpg
    I doubt they will be very comparable. The Fenix LD20 has a very efficient regulated output but most lanterns I've encountered do very little by way of regulated circuitry at least to the extent the Fenix circuitry does.

I'm guessing you will see more of a diminishing curve in light intensity as the batteries discharge compared to the flat output shown for the LD20.

I have a Fenix L2D and have added the diffuser tip which is really a great addition to the light and gives you lantern like lighting in a flashlight form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by filibuster View Post
    I doubt they will be very comparable. The Fenix LD20 has a very efficient regulated output but most lanterns I've encountered do very little by way of regulated circuitry at least to the extent the Fenix circuitry does.

I'm guessing you will see more of a diminishing curve in light intensity as the batteries discharge compared to the flat output shown for the LD20.

I have a Fenix L2D and have added the diffuser tip which is really a great addition to the light and gives you lantern like lighting in a flashlight form factor.
    Haha, funny you mentioned it becaust I just bought another LD20 and two diffuser tips a few days ago, they should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I have another camping trip this weekend and I'm going to test them out.

May have to try this..

I really want to see this done. My LED is too cool in color temp IMO. A neutral XPG would be a sweet swap.

So has anyone with some modding knowledge attempted or planning to attempt a mod of this lantern yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    So has anyone with some modding knowledge attempted or planning to attempt a mod of this lantern yet?
    I don't have any real modding experience, but i just recieved this lantern and have a new LED on its way to me... Will let you know how it goes.

Sweet! I really like this lantern, and would love to hear how your modding goes. I could be next ...

I just modded the coleman with a neutral r5, it is much improved. Man those 4 skinny little screws holding the thing together were a serious pita. I had to buy a special skinny screwdriver to get to them, and basically trashed it because those threads were so tight.

I havent done a heat test but i dont think it will do well theres no real heatsink, just a metal plate no thicker than a quarter that the pcb is glued to... but fortunately due to the variable levels design, i dont have to run it maxed out to get good light out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdm View Post
    I just modded the coleman with a neutral r5,
    Coming into this thread really late, but I'm also interested in replacing the LED with a neutral XP-G. From the spec, the original LED is a XR-C, with a forward voltage of 3.5V at 350mA, 0.5A max. The nominal rating for XP-G is 2.9V at 350mA, about 1.5A max. Is there any issues with the difference in specs? I thought that since the brightest setting would have a resistor set to supply 0.5 amps (maybe?), you would be around 42% of XP-G brightness, so over 150 lm?

Any other details on what you use for heat sinking?