The could have used a flashaholic or 2

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I just ran across This story about an accident in the NYC Subway last night. Light the way with lighters and their cell phones? Can we get some FLASHLIGHTS please? Heck, I ride the subway all the time, I would have had 3 lights on me - An E2, and ARC AAA and an ARC LS

Sigh

Greta

Flashaholic
Obviously we still have alot more work to do.

I want to let everyone know that I am doing my part. Just this week, I purchased G2's for my children. Now they too will be on the light path.

Spread the word, flashaholics!!!

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a new initiative: all flashaholics must give flashlight related gifts at least 3 times within the next year-to-date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of it this way, you give them lights, they give YOU lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Very scary. I was in a fire once and the thought of being trapped underground is nightmarish.

As I read that article I imagined myelf jumping from the train to the ground, my LSH/2L/SF/ bouncing out of my hand onto the tracks. Tomorrow I'll look for some strong nylon string to attach to all my EDC lights.*

Maybe we should remember our famous saying:

"The best light is the one you have with you when you need it. The worst light is the one you don't have with you when you need it"

And add to it:

..."but the very worst light is the one you have with you and then lose at the critical moment"

*The best lanyards I've seen are enclosed within a rubber tube like the ones on a TEK 1400 3C LED.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Geez, Norm, if your Arc bounces onto the tracks and stays lit, you can easily find it, and if it turns off, just pull out another light to find it with!

Actually I was just thinking about that story in the context of wondering how much battery runtime you'd need in that situation. I figure the subway stations are maybe a mile apart, which means a 1/2 mile walk at most, so 1/2 hour of light should be enough. That makes the Nano-Illuminator (Arcmania and Lambda's new N-cell Luxeon collaboration) probably up to the job.

As for giving away lights, I've been giving out those $1.00 Countycomm keychain lights and they've been appreciated. They would have worked fine for that subway thing, if enough people had them (one of them is not really enough to light the way for a large group). I think I'm about out of them and will probably buy another 20 of them. The Princeton Tec Blast is also a great gift light. It's cheap ($6.50 at TTS including batteries), brighter than a Minimag, and is very light and small (Arc LS sized, 1.5 oz, uses two AAA's).

Right now I have an Arc AAA and two Photon II's on one keychain (to lose all at once, heh) but I don't always carry that keychain. On a smaller keychain I have an Arc LS (and fewer keys) and I have that chain when I don't have the bigger one.

I remember hearing something about a wristwatch with a bright 3mm LED flashlight built in. That might not have such good runtime, but it would be pretty hard to lose.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
On the average, NYC subway stations are about 8 blocks apart - less than 1/2 mile. There are also intermediate emergency exits. You probably would not have to go more than 1/8th mile or so!

Now York Street - where this occured is a BIT of an exeption on ALL counts - 2 tracks, a LONG way from the next station in BOTH directions, and DEEP, as it is the first station in Brooklyn after the F train comes up from the river (unless it comes across the bridge- brain fade here)

Remember that MOST of the NYC subway is "cut and cover" (aka VERY shallow), and 4 tracks wide. In the cut and cover sections, the trackways are almost always vented (that is the grates you see in the streets in all the NYC pictures, and the Monroe picture)

York st is an exception - it's the first stop after the river, so it could be a long way, deep and tight, but I'm sure someone can correct me