Can't Figure Out PayPal -Pls Help

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi Fellow CPFers! I'm here to ask a big favor. I'd like to be able to purchase from some of our great modders without logging into PayPal. I know how to use PayPal to pay with CC from a website but I don't know how to go to PayPal and send money to an email address of a modder using my cc without joining PayPal.

I have visited the PayPal site, read this is doable, but CANNOT figure out how. Yes, I'm that stupid but I REFUSE to join PayPal. I'll pay with cc through them but that's it.

I know I have to add 4% to order price for modder to receive the full amount.

Could you tell me in a step by step way how to pay to an email addy from PayPal using my cc without joining PayPal??? It would be a great Favor. If you're techie and have the inclination screen shots would be a great addition. I often have trouble finding the right buttons because websites have so much going on. Please don't assume I have any common sense. I literally need every single step laid out for me to do this right.

I bet this info would help a lot of other CPFers who would like to buy from fellow members but don't wish to join PayPal.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't think you can do it unless the recipient sends you a PayPal invoice for the amount due.

I see...Nailbender posted CC users add 4% in his thread so I assumed there was a way. When I searched it on the web I found several blog posts saying how great it is we can do it now but none said HOW to do it.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are not the 1st person that doesn't trust paypal but until a better solution comes along it is just about the only option available when the seller wants payment via paypal. I have been using it for several years and with out any hitches other than the time lag on sending money and it showing up where it is supposed to be. I personally like the ability to buy a light with it and have my new toy on its way to me the same day.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong, but I am thinking there are two different kinds of transaction concepts here:

a) Vendor using paypal to complete a credit card purchase
- Signing up to accept credit cards is expensive for small businesses, esp. those under $ 100K / yr. The main issue is the high monthly fees on the Vendor, even if there are no transactions.
- Buyers are unsure about giving CC info to small suppliers
- Not everyone has paypal
- Solution - vendor has PP, and hires PP to accept CC payment from customer, then pay them with PP
- PP is considered to be more secure against transaction identity theft than many other methods.
- There are additional fees for this, but it is still hard to beat the price, as CC monthly fees are crazy high.
- Alternative is to use Amazon pay, but the price is similar.

I have looked hard into this area, and there aren't that many options.

b) Direct Payment from one PP user to another PP user
- I have never done this, but in that case, both buyer and seller need to be PP members.
- Normal fees apply, which are competitive to other electronic payment methods, in spite of the seemingly high price.
-

c) Pay with a money or postal order
- You can get a money order from Walmart for about 50 cents
- Same with a postal money order from the post office - 50 cents
- Have done both in the last 90 days, and would accept this method of payment from anyone
- Interesting, a similar electronic fund transfer using Walmart is 30X higher.

So much for thinking that the internet always brings prices down.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another way,do a direct bank transfer,I used it once to pay my rent from Berlin to the UK,fee was not to much either.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I could be wrong, but I am thinking there are two different kinds of transaction concepts here:

a) Vendor using paypal to complete a credit card purchase
- Signing up to accept credit cards is expensive for small businesses, esp. those under $ 100K / yr. The main issue is the high monthly fees on the Vendor, even if there are no transactions.
- Buyers are unsure about giving CC info to small suppliers
- Not everyone has paypal
- Solution - vendor has PP, and hires PP to accept CC payment from customer, then pay them with PP
- PP is considered to be more secure against transaction identity theft than many other methods.
- There are additional fees for this, but it is still hard to beat the price, as CC monthly fees are crazy high.
- Alternative is to use Amazon pay, but the price is similar.

I have looked hard into this area, and there aren't that many options.

b) Direct Payment from one PP user to another PP user
- I have never done this, but in that case, both buyer and seller need to be PP members.
- Normal fees apply, which are competitive to other electronic payment methods, in spite of the seemingly high price.
-

c) Pay with a money or postal order
- You can get a money order from Walmart for about 50 cents
- Same with a postal money order from the post office - 50 cents
- Have done both in the last 90 days, and would accept this method of payment from anyone
- Interesting, a similar electronic fund transfer using Walmart is 30X higher.

So much for thinking that the internet always brings prices down.
Thanks. I guess I was wrong. I figured that since Nailbender said +4% for CC there must be some way to pay with a CC.

I don't like choice 2 or 3 so I'll stick to bigger vendors who have CC option.

Money Orders cannot be canceled. Once you have them done the money is gone. Now if you vendor posts he has run out of product and it may be in in 6 months you're stuck. With a CC it just gets canceled. Much better for purchaser -apparently not for vendor.

Thanks to all for trying to help. It was very kind of you!

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using PP for over 10 years now without a problem. I have always been carefull who I send money to though.

You are not going to be able to buy much of anything from the custom modders without using PP or a MO.

You can register a PP with a CC instead of using your bank account but it tacks on an additional 4% to all transactions. That is the reason most people will say to add 4% to a order if you pay with a CC Paypal account.

If you are worried about nailbender ripping you off or not correcting something that is wrong, don't. He is a honest person from the dealings we have had. He even corrected an issue that was because of something I did wrong.

I know everyone complains about PP fees but were else are you going to find someone to transfer $$ for you at zero cost and give you a small amount of protection against fraud.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have been using PP for over 10 years now without a problem. I have always been carefull who I send money to though.

You are not going to be able to buy much of anything from the custom modders without using PP or a MO.

You can register a PP with a CC instead of using your bank account but it tacks on an additional 4% to all transactions. That is the reason most people will say to add 4% to a order if you pay with a CC Paypal account.

If you are worried about nailbender ripping you off or not correcting something that is wrong, don't. He is a honest person from the dealings we have had. He even corrected an issue that was because of something I did wrong.

I know everyone complains about PP fees but were else are you going to find someone to transfer $$ for you at zero cost and give you a small amount of protection against fraud.

I am not worried about nailbender ripping me off and I never said anything like that!

I AM worried about PP having my personal info.

I've also had bad experiences with money orders because once written you cannot undo the transaction even if you decide not to make the order.

If this means there is no way to buy from modders so be it.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I get it.

Grytpype

Newly Enlightened
I've used paypal before, including on ebay etc. I don't think you need to be too worried about them holding info on you. They're going to have your credit card details anyway. There's no evil genius sitting there saying "Aha! Got him! He's finally given in and registered, so now we can milk him for every last cent he has!" It's just a giant impersonal computer.

If you are still worried about them raiding your bank account without your say-so, just set up a separate bank account with a limited amount in it, and use that one to register.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Gg
I've used paypal before, including on ebay etc. I don't think you need to be too worried about them holding info on you. They're going to have your credit card details anyway. There's no evil genius sitting there saying "Aha! Got him! He's finally given in and registered, so now we can milk him for every last cent he has!" It's just a giant impersonal computer.

If you are still worried about them raiding your bank account without your say-so, just set up a separate bank account with a limited amount in it, and use that one to register.
Feel free to give out your personal info to whoever. I don't.
Not only can they freeze your funds you have no appeal. Now imagine their data base is hacked. I don't want to go on and on about why I don't like them. Google paypal rip off or complaints and seee how many hits you get.
For me they are simply not an option.

Thanks for replying though!

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gg
Feel free to give out your personal info to whoever. I don't.
Not only can they freeze your funda you have no appeal. Now imagine their data base is hacked. I don't want to go on and on about why I don't like them. Google paypal rip off or complaints and seee how many hits you get.
For me they are simply not an option.

Thanks for replying though!

I'm not trying to change you mind because I really don't care how you pay.

You made the statement above in bold.

You mentioned earlier in this thread that you would rather pay with a CC. I'm going to make a educated guess that you have at least one credit card, is that correct? Does your credit card company not have your personal info? Do you really think your info is more safe with your CC company rather than Paypal if you were to set up a CC account instead of a bank account?

Do you use your Debit card that your bank provides with your pin number? The risk of your debit card getting stolen/ hacked is much higher than a typical CC.

I have had non authorized charges twice on my debit card in the past 5 years. I have had zero problems with my CC's or Paypal. Granted, I would estimate that I use my debit card 25 to 1 over my CC or Paypal account so the odds are against the debit card.

Good luck with your search for the Holy Grail of payment options to vendors/ sellers.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm not trying to change you mind because I really don't care how you pay.

You made the statement above in bold.

You mentioned earlier in this thread that you would rather pay with a CC. I'm going to make a educated guess that you have at least one credit card, is that correct? Does your credit card company not have your personal info? Do you really think your info is more safe with your CC company rather than Paypal if you were to set up a CC account instead of a bank account?

Do you use your Debit card that your bank provides with your pin number? The risk of your debit card getting stolen/ hacked is much higher than a typical CC.
I have had non authorized charges twice on my debit card in the past 5 years. I have had zero problems with my CC's or Paypal. Granted, I would estimate that I use my debit card 25 to 1 over my CC or Paypal account so the odds are against the debit card.

Good luck with your search for the Holy Grail of payment options to vendors/ sellers.

Nope I do not. I use pre-paid CC's with no personal info for internet purchases. Again, if you doubt there are problems with pp try Googling it. I'm not looking for an unattainable Holy Grail. I simply choose not to use PayPal. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope I do not. I use pre-paid CC's with no personal info for internet purchases. Again, if you doubt there are problems with pp try Googling it. I'm not looking for an unattainable Holy Grail. I simply choose not to use PayPal. Thanks for all your help.

I could Google posting online in general and I could find problems with it.

So, you do not have any typical CC's period? You only use pre-paid CC's and do not have what is a normal CC? I'm not talking about for online purchases only.

You are quite welcome for all the help we are giving/ offering you. (insert paranoid tinfoil hat wearing smiley here).