SE Regional Get-together IV - Cloudland Canyon - Tenn Georgia Ala - May 15 Confirmed

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
ga_cloud1.jpg

Hi Everyone :wave:

Here is an open invitation to all who enjoy good people, good food and good lights. Everyone is invited.

At this time this thread is a feeler for possible dates and number of attendees, please post in this thread if you think you can make it and how many people you will bring. Also let me know if you have a conflict with the suggested date.

This will be the fourth SE Regional Get-together in four years and based on the success of the first three this GT promises to be a lot fun for everyone who attends. I believe everyone who has attended the last three will tell you this is not something you will not want to miss.

This year like the last three we will be gathering at Cloudland Canyon State Park in north Georgia located just outside of Chattanooga TN. The park is roughly the same distance from Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, and Birmingham so the location is a good compromise for a regional GT. Cloudland Canyon is a perfect place for what we need offering very scenic views for day activities such has hikes and great darkness for demonstrating all of the lights that will no doubt be there. Before the darkness comes we traditionally put on a feast for dinner grilling burgers and hotdogs with all kinds of sides everyone brings.

There are several options available for you and or your family if you would like to spend the night in the area. I will be renting a cabin again this year if they are available; I believe last years attendees will tell you the cabin provided excellent accommodations for our gathering. The cabins are large and offer plenty of room and are very close to the canyon trail providing for a great night hike experience. The Park has several campsites available including one near the cabins. It is recommended you make reservation in advance if you plan to camp in the park. There are also hotels near by if this is more appealing to you.

Traditionally everyone brings something for the cookout like beans or chips and we generally start the grill around 5:30 if you are planning on showing up for just the cookout. Drinking is not allowed in the park as a general rule but shouldn't be a problem at the cabin.

Oh and lets not forget, be prepared to see some amazing lights both old and new. This year I'm sure David and crew will bring all kinds of toys for purchase so if so have had an eye on a certain 4Sevens light take advantage of the opportunity and try it out.

I will keep this thread updated as needed.

Cloudland Canyon
122 Cloudland Canyon Park
Rising Fawn GA 30738
Reservations (800) 864-7275
Park (706) 657-4050

http://gastateparks.org/info/cloudland/

cloudpic1.jpg

cloudland.jpg

The park link will give you more detail on the fees but here are the basics.
$3.00 per car per day

If you would like to camp, here is some info.

73 Tent, Trailer, RV Campsites ($22)
30 Walk-in Campsites ($10)
11 Backcountry Campsites ($5/person)
16 Cottages ($95-$115)

Hotel
Days Inn
95 Killian Avenue
Trenton, GA 30752
(706) 657-2550
Nice reviews and low price

IMG_1554.jpg

Last edited:

smopoim86

Enlightened
Re: SE Regional Get-together IV - Cloudland Canyon - Tenn Georgia Ala - May 15 Tentat

I'll definitely be coming again. Just have to check and see what the schedule looks like.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SE Regional Get-together IV - Cloudland Canyon - Tenn Georgia Ala - May 15 Tentat

Count me and the wife back again this year, scheduling is no problem for us thanks.

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened

try to make it again, thanks for the heads up!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

The woman and I are a tentative maybe. Looks fun!

smopoim86

Enlightened

I'm thinking about building a new light just for the event. Only problem is the battery cost is about $150.

tn6110

Newly Enlightened

I hope to attend this year along with my wife. I never know if she will be able though. She has Lupus and I can't always know when she will have bad day. If she is up to it and I can get off from work I would certainly like to come.:thumbsup:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Guys

I'm trying to make a decision as to do we want to move forward with the event this year and would like to hear from you.

Looks like based on the number of post at this point we may have a low turnout for this years event. To add to my concerns Trevor from 4Sevens told me they will not be able to attend this year so do you think we should push the date to the fall sometime? Are there people who are thinking about attending who have not posted? Please let me know what you think we should do.

Steve

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm down for when ever. Let's work around Trevor and the four seven crew as much as possible. It's not the same without them there

Yes If I may have an opinion it would reflect mossyoak's. Wait until it's possible for 4sevens to attend.

Customerservice@4sevens

Newly Enlightened

I'll be contacting Leb today. 4Sevens can attend on the 15th. We have a couple in the office that will be available to attend then, including David's family.

Regretfully, for the first year I will not be able to attend this. It is my birthday weekend and my family in NC has requested my presence. :party: I'm really sad to miss all you guys but FEAR NOT! 4Sevens and all of our cool lights will be able to attend regardless.

Cheers,
Trevor Nasko
4Sevens

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened

hey trevor,

happy birthday and i would say to your family there is an big party in clowdland and they should come all down there to celebrate! some come all the way from switzerland for that :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry you can't make it Trevor but you also bring good news, so I guess where back on for the 15th?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry you can't make it Trevor, you will be missed. If you guys would like to work out another date so you can make it I will change the cabin reservation.

I rented cabin 8 for the 15th, its close to the one we had last year so it should be a good area for us. Looks like the cabin is real close to the rim trail so we should have a real nice night hike.

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?show=map&LocationID=38&s=0.0.0.5

smopoim86

Enlightened

Batteries will be here this week. I'm hoping to have the brightest light there. 14k Lumens. I'll probably be going down Thursday of Friday with the family.

This year we'll have to find canyon access that isn't on a 150' unprotected bluff.
I was kinda scared for David having his kids out there with us, would have made me a nervous wreck.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SE Regional Get-together IV Cloudland Canyon - Tenn Georgia Ala - May 15

What in the heck are you building and is it legal LOL. Maybe you should surprise us.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flooding in Nashville is the worst I have ever seen, property damage will be in the billions. LP field is under water, Opryland is completely swamp and down town Nashville is now flooded.

Is everyone else OK? Where I live is fine but getting to work is a bit tricky.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Yeah. I'm stuck in goodlettsville without my kayak. At my gf's parents. Her dad had to be helicoptered into work this morning. That was cool. But everywhere in under water. And we have to go to their farm in Mississippi wednesday to move some stuff around. Great way to spend my 13 day summer break