"floodier" m1x

rumbler

Newly Enlightened
My edc-24/7 PD3 is getting lonely and wants a bigger brother. I'll always have the PD3 on me. I'd like a light that takes up where my little buddy leaves off. I'd like +500Lum light that can switch back and forth between the high and "turbo" modes. I'd like good flood/throw mix. I like my PD3 beam but I want atleast doubled output.

Most of the contenders(tk40,m30 etc) can't switch between high and turbo directly. M2*C4's can but I gather the positions are ill defined and over/undershooting positions is probable.

My ideal would be a Jetfire M1X as it's powerful and I could instantly switch levels but maybe it's all throw.

Any MX1 owners wish it were floodier? Is it really all throw?
Any other light recommendation?

Thanks-Rumbler

BrightAsTheSun

Newly Enlightened
I prefer spot for seeing longer ranges at night. Too much flood reflects light off close objects ruining my night vision and I can't see things well at distance. I have a smaller flood (quark 123) light for lighting up a large area up close.

ejot

Enlightened
I think you would pleasantly surprised and very happy with the M1X. While it is renowned for throw, it also has a large, bright, well-defined spill beam and is very capable of lighting up my whole backyard.

My beamshots are terrible, but here is my attempt with the M1X. The control shot with no flashlight for this photo is pure black. At the bottom right corner you can see the sharp cutoff of the spill beam. The effect in real life is far more stunning; the whole area enclosed in that big circle is just brilliantly illuminated. It's the single most versatile and useful beam pattern of any light I own.

jetbeamm1x.jpg

ejot

Enlightened
To be a bit more specific on the size of the spill .... the target in that photo is about 120' away, and 75' in the air. You can see where the bottom of the beam effectively ends, below the base of the treeline.

allen2oo3

Newly Enlightened
one of the other threads here says the v4 m1x has a different reflector. one that may result in more flood

edit: M1X question

Last edited:

rumbler

Newly Enlightened
Thank for the info. In that thread someone compared the newer M1X V4 beam to the TK40 which is supposed to have a nice throw/flood beam. Plus you M1X fans are not complaining about the beam. Hmmm.... Maybe I'll go M1X after all. But then there's the M2S also....Nah, the M1X is more than I'll EVER need.

Any other suggestions?

Rumbler

Last edited:

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like your on the fence, so here is a push - GET IT!

Seriously, it's hard to imagine not being impressed and satisfied with this light. Get the extender and some good 18650s.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
You can disassemble the reflector and simply hold the pill against the contacts. You'll see that its like a 450 lumen zebralight with a 120 degree beam or so.

You would have to fabricate a threaded head with a protective lens wide and close enough to retain the wide angle. The whole light could practically be small enough for pocket duty.

rumbler

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm probably getting the M1X V4. BOG seems to have the best deals. The M2S looked good If the UI worked as promised(apparently not).
I liked the Neo-fab Legion II also but am skeert ordering from overseas and the shipping costs.
So M1X it is. Thanks guys.
Rumbler

Brigadier

Enlightened
The M1X has a very nice amound of spill for a 'thrower'. A very nice balance, IMHO. Very very different from the RRT-1.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
speaking of which...whats up with BOG? the M1X is still on backorder

BeeMan458

Banned
Yesterday I received a RRT-1 from BOG, so I was able to compare the beam of the RRT-1 to the M1X last night and found the beams to be relatively equal to my eyes for the distance (~200') but found the M1X beam to have much more useful spill.

I also found that I wanted more light for that distance to do a better job of filling in the shadows and found myself pre-ordering a RRT-3.

:candle:

("More power Scottie! I need more power!")

:naughty:

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've compared both the RRT1 and the M1X. I really like the beam pattern on the M1X, it's got a nice big hotspot with plenty of spill. I wouldn't want it to be any "floodier". On the other hand, I thought the beam on the RRT1 was too tight but it throws significantly farther than the M1X. I kept the M1X. Just my $.02!

hazna

Enlightened
For anyone interested, the cheapest place I could find the m1x is from a website for called hkequipment.net. Its about $145 including the extender tube. Might have longer wait times and not sure what customer service is like, though.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Most of the contenders(tk40,m30 etc) can't switch between high and turbo directly. M2*C4's can but I gather the positions are ill defined and over/undershooting positions is probable.

Rumbler, the UI on latest Eagletac M2 series lights are now sorted and much better with 5 brightness settings.

The various flashing modes and strobe are now hidden and you don't see them under normal use. :twothumbs

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
how has the fenix tk30 not come into discussion?! I recently ordered one, and it should arrive today! :grin2: It should fit your requirements nicely.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
EagleTAC M2 MC-e or P7 lights are great floody lights. The Olight M30 is one of my favorites. It has immense amounts of bright, very wide spill with a wide spot. I love it, but the PWM doesn't bother me. Others do not like it at all.

Votekinky06

Newly Enlightened
speaking of which...whats up with BOG? the M1X is still on backorder

I had one on order and when i emailed them to see what was up they said the last batch they received did not meet their quality control standards so they sent them back and are waiting for another batch. While the communication could have been better I am happy that there are still vendors out there that will send a bad batch back rather than compromising quality to maintain an "in-stock" status.

rumbler

Newly Enlightened
kicken bright,
About the tk30, correct me if I'm wrong. But if I was using a TK30 at full power(630L) and wanted to step down to the next lower Level(175L) I'd have to;
1. loosen the head to get to Level 1(100L) of Mode A(searching)
2. tighten and loosen head TWICE to get to Level 1(12L) of mode B(camping)
3. then tighten head to get to Level 2(175L) of mode B.
Then Kinda the same thing to get back to Level 2 of Mode A.

As I started out saying I like the tk30 beam and the m1x ui.
I'd like single step switching between high and turbo and single step back.

Steve'0
With the ui changes to Eagletac they're back in the running, thanks.

Rumbler

Last edited:

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
kicken bright,
About the tk30, correct me if I'm wrong. But if I was using a TK30 at full power(630L) and wanted to step down to the next lower Level(175L) I'd have to;
1. loosen the head to get to Level 1(100L) of Mode A(searching)
2. tighten and loosen head TWICE to get to Level 1(12L) of mode B(camping)
3. then tighten head to get to Level 2(175L) of mode B.
Then Kinda the same thing to get back to Level 2 of Mode A.

As I started out saying I like the tk30 beam and the m1x ui.
I'd like single step switching between high and turbo and single step back.

Steve'0
With the ui changes to Eagletac they're back in the running, thanks.

Rumbler

I see where you are coming from, but the UI sounds more complicated than it is. For me, I will probably leave the light in searching mode and just use the 100 lumen high and 630 lumen turbo. I understand if you want the 175 lumen high over the 100 lumen high. If ur gonna spend that kinda $ on a light, you gotta get what u want!