MR-X with X3T. Hotlips with Magic Resistor TK. #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of getting a "magic resistor" constant current circuit done for a 9V 5-watter LS Hotlips-D package. Basically the circuit will allow the uninitiated to either put in either Alkalines, Lithiums or NiMhs and it will regulate the current to any set current, eg. 750mA, 1000mA, 1500mA, 2000mA or even up to 3A!! Adjustment is done via a 2mm screw driver and a multimeter is required. The circuit will automatically adjust the resistance to get the desired current, like a magic resistor.

When the battery voltage drops below the LED voltage, it will basically go to a a direct driven mode. At no time will the current exceed the preset current rating above. This way, there is no chance of blowing any LSs and the brightness will be constant until the battery starts to expires.

Just gazing interest to see if any progress (short run) should be made on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

======== T H E O F F E R S (Moved from my Aug 4 post. Updated 30 Aug) ========

MR-X with X3T binned 5 watt Luxeon (previously MR Hotlips TK)
There will be a small number of MR-X turnkey units for sale. These will indeed be very special lights. It will come in a 6AA configuration in an Ontario Aluminium D-sized body with a Direct Drive Indicator LED. It will be finished off with a UCL lens and a special X3T binned Luxeon. Pricing: $213 shipped and insured. You will need your own NiMh batteries (or Li-ion, L91, Alk).

x3t_1.jpg

MRHotlipsTK-1a.jpg

MR Hotlips
MR Hotlips will be supplied will be supplied with the complete Magic Resistor circuit embedded in the Hotlips and siliconed in place. The Direct Drive Indicator LED Indicator will be soldered in for convenience and emitter wires ready for immediate installation. Then drop it into your OAD flashlight body, connect the power and you are ready to go. You can of course adjust your desired current setting using a 2mm flathead screwdriver. Price: $58+$5 (5 day delivery). A photo of this setup can be seen below (about the ~40th post).

(MR)
(MR) is just the bare Magic Resistor circuit with DDI LED. This is essentially the circuit before it is fitted into the Hotlips. Price: $38+$5 (5 day delivery).

The delivery of MR Hotlips and MR will be done after all TK orders have been fulfilled.

================================================

Again, I would like to thank Burnt_retina for his invaluable input, technical advice and putting up with my countless questions. Thanks Burnt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Graph of the Magic Resistor set to 1.5A. 3x123s in Direct Drive
runtime_5w.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Hotlips w Magic Resistor constant current circuit?

you know what i think...sounds great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Yes I think they have something like that inside those EverLeds, able to run up to like -- 9V, was it?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Correct Mr B. I believe they are 1-watters though? Also, it is non configurable in the amount overdrive or underdrive you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jcciv

Newly Enlightened

sounds good. any idea as to the price? I would be interested in 1, anyway.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Phaserburn and Johnc... sounds like the interest is low. Looks like generally people want brightness at the expense of LED longetivity. Don't know about pricing yet. It will depend ~ on the final number. Will take stock after a few days.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hotbeam, i would be interested in one or two. But that depends on the price, though.
Can this accept 7.2V and go direct drive?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hotlips w Magic Resistor constant current circ

Shiftd, price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif for the moment. Can't see it being too $$$.

When the batteries are fresh, this circuit automatically adjust the resistance to give you your desired mA output... ie magic resistor concept. When the battery voltage drops below that of the LS, it will then be direct driving, but current will not exceed the set current.

Using a V2T for your 6 NiMh will give you longer run time than using a U3U. But if you use Li's, the runtime is prolonged even more.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

how big is it and when can i have a prototype? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

any chance you can design it to step-up for either a 1 or a 5watter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hotlips w Magic Resistor constant current circ

Rev I prototype done. Size ~ 25mm x 14mm. Working on heatsinking part at the moment. I am the tester here. burnt_retina is the brain.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Ahh, you are right Howie, did not see the 5W part. This will be a very interesting project...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

is it round shaped, Howard? Is it more like the powerpuck, but with smaller size and will only fit for the D sized light?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

In fact, if you are thinking about making a drop-in unit with Hotlips as the casing, it will be the cat's meow for D-sized lights...kinda like an EverLed on steroids!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

shiftd: the prototype is rectangular. i'll need to speak to burnt about changing the board make-up.
**EDIT: Also depends on numbers required.

mr b: that is one way to look at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif overkill heatsink for the FET in the circuit.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

eagerly awaiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam, I'm confused...

[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
When the battery voltage drops below the LED voltage, it will basically go to a a direct driven mode...and the brightness will be constant until the battery expires.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, it is current regulated until battery voltage drops below the luxeon forward voltage.
After that point, then it is direct driven, so, it will become dimmer until the cells expire, right?

[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
When the battery voltage drops below that of the LS, it will then be direct driving, but current will now exceed the set current.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you mean to say the current will not exceed the set current?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry if my explanations were not as clear as they could've been, yes to both your statements.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

can we specify the current ourselves? like between 750 to 1300? that would be real cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.