• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need help picking the right SS drivers

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I sort of have figured out what each driver is but i not 100% sure....
hence the request for leads....

So.....

I want to pick drivers for various scenarios of 2xAA batt use...

1. 2AA Alkaline/Ni-MH up to 1xLi-Ion at 1000mA of output

Badboy? BB NextGen? GD?

2. 1AA/Ni-MH up to 1xLi-Ion at 1000mA of output (will settle for up to 1xCR123)

Madmax up to CR123?

3. 2AA Alkaline/Ni-MH (up to 700mA output)

Madmax

Also madmax specs listed here are diefferent from this regarding input voltage

I also want to ask soemthing on pigggypacking the SS drivers on 17 black boards but after I make pictures of my possible setup....

thanks, kostas

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am bumping this thread for a possible question on the post above, but with a new one too...

Since I wish to build P60 modules with the SS drivers I have to devise a way to install them....
So I thought of piggypacking them on another board

I am thinking this way

piggypackdrivercombo.jpg

this is a 4AMC7135 board that has a hole in the positive battery contact and a corresponding trace on the other side...so what about if I install a pedestal?

At the right is one made of a bulletin board pin. This will be soldered on the SS board and then to the 17mm board....and two wires can be added to the negative rim to mate with the similar position on trhe SS drivers....

Now I have seen this done with controler PCBs.....but this time the piggypacked board will carry power with losses and temp increase....

There is a thermal path to the carrier board and to the battery posituive contact, but can this be enough?

Also wayne, can there be other issues?

* available space in the pill is a non-issue...I have some long one that have IIRC 7.8 mm internal space maybe more...

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I sort of have figured out what each driver is but i not 100% sure....
hence the request for leads....

So.....

I want to pick drivers for various scenarios of 2xAA batt use...

1. 2AA Alkaline/Ni-MH up to 1xLi-Ion at 1000mA of output

Badboy? BB NextGen? GD?
GD

2. 1AA/Ni-MH up to 1xLi-Ion at 1000mA of output (will settle for up to 1xCR123)

Madmax up to CR123?
Yes, Madmax

3. 2AA Alkaline/Ni-MH (up to 700mA output)

Madmax
Madmax, NG 750, GD750

Also madmax specs listed here are diefferent from this regarding input voltage

I also want to ask soemthing on pigggypacking the SS drivers on 17 black boards but after I make pictures of my possible setup....

thanks, kostas

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am bumping this thread for a possible question on the post above, but with a new one too...

Since I wish to build P60 modules with the SS drivers I have to devise a way to install them....
So I thought of piggypacking them on another board

I am thinking this way

piggypackdrivercombo.jpg

this is a 4AMC7135 board that has a hole in the positive battery contact and a corresponding trace on the other side...so what about if I install a pedestal?

At the right is one made of a bulletin board pin. This will be soldered on the SS board and then to the 17mm board....and two wires can be added to the negative rim to mate with the similar position on trhe SS drivers....

Now I have seen this done with controler PCBs.....but this time the piggypacked board will carry power with losses and temp increase....

There is a thermal path to the carrier board and to the battery posituive contact, but can this be enough?

Also wayne, can there be other issues?

* available space in the pill is a non-issue...I have some long one that have IIRC 7.8 mm internal space maybe more...

The converter board may require additional thermal paths depending on how hard you pushing the driver. If you can run the driver at an efficient level and not push the driver too hard you won't need to worry so much about the thermal path for the driver. If the LED is part of this mechanical configuration that may deem thermal heatsinking of the driver. You may get away with thermal epoxy between the two boards. This may be sufficient. Only testing the final configuration will determine what your solution will be.

Wayne

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks wayne......

indeed were are talking a P60 drop in and a larger dropin (43mm) in a plastic body......

I will give it a try.....

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne, I thought the BBNG supports 1xLion @ 1000ma (I remember someone powering a Lux V this way)

The Vf of the LuxV is higher than the Vin from the Li-Ion battery so its still boosting
Using a BB1000 I have done the same with a MC-E wired 2s2p powered off 2xCR123