168 LED from China

chitoz28

Newly Enlightened
I bought some cheap 168 LED bulbs for the interior of my truck just for fun. One of the "bulbs" went out so I took it apart to see what was in it, not much. Here are some pics of the guts of this thing. I don't know too much about resistors, but it looks like the colors are maybe a light gray, black, white and orange.

Can you just do that with any kind of LED, say a Cree or something?

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

You can check here: http://www.ledtuning.nl/index_site.php?Name=calculator what the resistor could be.

Don't know about the manufacturer.These leds often refers to 0.5, 1 and 1.5 W depending on if they have 1, 2 or 3 chips. I have a couple of yellow of these with the 2-chips being in parallell, when I measured it, only draw 40 mA. I changed the resistor so the current become 170 mA at 12V. The resistor that I could fit inside is only 0.6 W but it have to take 2 W of power. But since I have it on a side marker light I only use it when I turn and then it is off 50 %. So the everage power is 1 W through the 0.6 W resistor. Will see how long it lasts. It was easy to shortcut the leds leads inside the heatsink so I painted it and isolate one of the leads I also added some heat paste between led and sink for better heat management and also drilled holes in the base for the resistor heat to evaporate better. It would be better for automotive use if the chips were in series, then the resistor didn't have to create so much extra heat.

BR

natna

Newly Enlightened
I already have them in my car and they're supposed to give 30-40 lumens.
But it's not enough as driving lights during the day...

Is there a way to install a 1w driven xp-e or xp-g in order to get safely 100-139 lumens? Of course it needs constant current driver which is too big for this small bulb package. The driver could be separate from the bulb...

The main concern is the heat build-up on the led. I'm trying to find some finned tubular 10mm diameter heasink, 'cause the installation room in my headlights in too small.
And with a proper 10mm-diameter 60edegree stripped diffuser they could easily serve as drl's

Any ideas on heatsink or optics???

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I didn't read the first post correctly.

Yes, you could put in a XP-G on a 10 mm MCPCB in this instead. I shouldn'd worry about the heat of the led, a XP-G driven at 350 mA doesn't generate much heat so the 168 package own heat zink is probably enough.

You could also drive a XP-G with a resistor, but at 350 mA there's probably not a suffient one that can fit inside the 168 package and the heat would be some extra 3,5 W heating the LED. So an outside current regulator is needed in that case.

BR

natna

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Of course resistors are out of the question...
Any ideas on optics or a more efficient 10mm heatsink? I want to have at least 3 hours safe running time.

Neondiod

Newly Enlightened
Ledil have som small optics for the XP-G called Lisa and Lisa2. I don't have much ideas about the heat sink, maybe one made of copper will be better?

Latest posts