Beyond ,HID,LED.....is LEP (light emiting plasma)

CampingLED

Enlightened
Looks very interesting. Does seem to be aimed at the higher output lights (400W). Do not see enough info to compare the efficiency to e.g. HID and LED.

jspeybro

Enlightened
any graphs on the spectrum? I'm intersted in what it does in the near infrared. Information is a bit vague I must say.
Edit: nevermind, found datasheets that have the information I was looking for
On the other hand, 23000 lumen and 50000hours burn time is impressive.

This is probably not very useful for divelights, but I can think of some usefull applications at work...

Last edited:

Grytpype

Newly Enlightened
That looks really interesting. Anyone know more details? Maybe it needs too much voltage for handheld lights...

I give this link because of interesting principle.

In fact it is between SST-90 (9,5A) and Osram Ostar which needs higher voltage (from 21 on 28V) and size is OK.

In base it is naked HID bulb without anything in microwave owen.

But RF and EMC.... in the water....:poke: but HID works with very high voltage and nobody complains.

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
Is that me or components look quite big ?

in a well integrated case, cooling of components isnt a factor in diving.

RadioFrequency cable are verry sensitive in some application.

Here in quebec, it has happen to waterproof cables a summer day, the relative humidity was really high, and during winter, caused dew in connector causing intermitent troubles when sun shined on black cables.
A single drop of water in a such cable could kill power transmission in sensitive frequencies....

As Lucca Brassi told
RF and EMC.... in the water....:poke: but HID works with very high voltage and nobody complains.

A guy here busted his Voltmeter (usualy 1000v on ac) measuring HID startop voltage while modding a HID car ballast:poof:

As an RF technician i dont like the idea of an electrical problem in water, with canister on my back and ballast running 80-90v on my left hand, with me acting as a third conductor in murky/salt water ..... :sick2:

Im currently direct driving sst90 with protected 18650 Li-Ions

Just my toughts !

My letter is only about showing interesting information about light design and principies. In water we normaly want light , but because of focusing , crossing lens and other optical problems from the source it has been a lot of it lost - that's why let say stronger source.

Whatewer of principies light must be designed in that way , that is safe and safe in the water. That tells everything.

as Conficius said once '' NO BRAIN ... NO PAIN '' and it works :)

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
I'll be buying the demo kit for testing at work. If you're interested I can post some pics but that will take some weeks since the lead time is about 1 month.

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_lamp

That being said, this has the same basic physics of operation of a HID lamp. Except instead of using an electric current to ionize the plasma, RF waves are used instead.

Luxim's innovation to the technology appears to be to use solid-state technology to generate the RF waves instead of the conventional (and highly electrically inefficient) magnetron.

I am a bit worried about the effects these RF emissions held close to the body as in typical flashlight situations. It appears the lower limit of power of these lamps are 100W. By comparison, a typical cellphone only uses milliwatts of power for transmission.

However, since the power of a signal drops off at the square root of the distance (assuming the 2-dimensional emission area of a solid state chip), it's probably safe to use these in commercial lighting applications.

jspeybro

Enlightened
Be carefull with microwaves :caution:
Don't worry, I'm going to test it for my work, so that has nothing to do with dive lights, just illumination.

actually, another advantage of the luxim technology over HID is that HID needs electrodes between which an electric arc is created. These electrodes degrade over time. In the luxim bulbs, there is just glass with some gass in it that is heated into a plasma, so nothing is degrading over time (at least, that's the theory).

I think these bulbs are a bit too powerfull to use in a divelight.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we CPFers got temporarily excited about LEP lamps a couple of years ago until we realised that the system efficiency needed to include the efficiency of the microwave generator, at only about 50%.

Do not see enough info to compare the efficiency to e.g. HID and LED.
On the home page I see Product: Tesla 400 Description: The new Tesla 400 fixture produces 73 lumens per watt, ... Is that what you meant?

DM51

Flashaholic
Dive Lighting is not the correct place for this. It belongs in Fixed Lighting, so I'm moving it there.

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
I think these bulbs are a bit too powerfull to use in a divelight.
There's no such thing as too much light when you're diving (if you don't care about the fish, that is).

Has anyone seen any papers on solid-state RF technology? I'm curious as to the technical specifics. I'm doing graduate course work on solid state device physics and as far as I know, when people want high RF power, there's invariably an amplifier and antennas involved. Technically though, I suppose amplifiers are for the most part solid state now, but I wonder if they use antennas to make this work.