Phoenix Electroforms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 59

Thread: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    367

    Default Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Well i want to buy my first set of AA rechargeables, But i dont want to pay the shipping for the eneloops.

    Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?

    Or do you guys know where i can get some eneloops with free shipping?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    buy the duracell precharged nimh with the white tops, they are rebadged eneloops or commonly called duraloops. They are made in Japan so look closely at the batteries to make sure as the black top duracell precharged are rayovac hybrids rebadged and not quite as good.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    buy the duracell precharged nimh with the white tops, they are rebadged eneloops or commonly called duraloops. They are made in Japan so look closely at the batteries to make sure as the black top duracell precharged are rayovac hybrids rebadged and not quite as good.
    Can i get these locally? Im not sure if i saw them at walmart.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* Russel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian321 View Post
    Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?
    Most definitely! Eneloops are the best AA NiMH recharables that I have ever used, and Energizers are the worst!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    i have both, i can't complain about energizer, they are not lsd cells, and have larger rated capacity.
    in my aplication energizers work fine, they only put out about 3 amps, i run tle 300 off them, it runs for a about an hour, bright.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian321 View Post
    Can i get these locally? Im not sure if i saw them at walmart.

    Thanks,
    Brian
    I have seen them at walmart here but you may have to look near the camera section all around the area as they were not with the other batteries in some stores. They also sell them at Target but finding the white topped ones is like an easter egg hunt at times.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* Robin24k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,964

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Eneloops or Duraloops are definately worth the extra money. If you have access to Costco, they have a 8xAA and 2xAAA Duraloop pack for $18.49.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Short term performance wise you can get a few more mAh out of the Energisers if you use them straight off the charger.

    I got over 2100mAh most of the time.

    I have a few Uniross "performance" cells rated at 2700mAh that show me 2500mAh at 500mA drains.
    If I am planning on using a light or camera extensively the next day I charge them up and use them fresh.
    For everything else I use Duraloops, old Hybrio's and GP Recyko.

    I cant comment on the durability of the Energisers as I stopped using them once I got some other high capacity cells.
    Boring newbie slowly becoming a flashaholic - too many models to list and its messing with google...

  9. #9
    Moderator Kestrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    I've only used Eneloops (actually the Duraloop made-in-Japan-by-Sanyo variety) because the self-discharge from traditional NiMH cells (~1% per day) would drive me crazy - that's a deal breaker for me.

    For budget 'LSD' (low-self-discharge) NiMH cells, see if you can find the Rayovac Hybrids or the 4.0's around - I hear that Fry's carries them at good prices. They are usually somewhat cheaper than the Eneloops but also not quite as good. I've read the CPF threads on the Rayovac LSD cells and I'd still choose them over any top-quality non-LSD cell - I really like knowing that a light I charged up a few months ago is at ~97% of maximum compared to being nearly completely drained, even though it hadn't been used.

    I'd even choose the Chinese-mfg 'black-top' Duracell LSD's (rebadged ROV 4.0's) if the price was good enough - IMO the normal price for these ones is somewhat higher than the comparable ROV's. These are very easy to find in Target, etc, but since the good sales from last year are now only a fond memory, I'm not a fan of the current shelf price.

    Also, check online for free shipping on the Rayovac 4.0's - they are pretty common online and a lot of places carry them. Also, check the 'good deals' section on CPF/MP - particularly if you're patient enough to wait for a new good deal to be posted.


    And we could also discuss the topic of older non-LSD NiMH cells which start to exhibit significantly greater self-discharge after only a couple years of use - which would make them them pretty near useless IMO. I intend on using my Duraloops for 5+ years, I fully expect them to retain much of their LSD property over that timeframe. Cheaper non-LSD NiMH's might be worthless due to high-self-discharge (I've read of situations as bad as completely drained in as little as 1-2 weeks) after only a few years.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-08-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added link
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

  10. #10

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    to op.
    to answer your question which first set of rechargeables you should buy, i recommend eneloops. assuming you don't use them in sst90 or 100w halogen light, at the amp rate eneloops wont do.
    you need elite 1700, or titanium high drain cells, neither is lsd, but at that discharge rate, you wont find lsd nimh cells

  11. #11
    Flashaholic Apollo Cree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    If you have an app where you're going to always charge the batteries and use them the next day, the non-LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries may be worth buying.

    I'll agree about the Rayovac 4.0 being worth buying for the cost savings if you can find them. My Fry's has Rayovac 4.0 for under $1.50 each. My convenient duraloop source is over $3.00. Consensus seems to be that Rayovac 4.0 is only slightly less good than Eneloop.
    If once you start down the light path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* mrartillery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    987

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian321 View Post
    Well i want to buy my first set of AA rechargeables, But i dont want to pay the shipping for the eneloops.

    Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?

    Or do you guys know where i can get some eneloops with free shipping?

    Thanks,
    Brian
    Go with eneloops! Best AA available IMO! If shipping is your concern why not buy them from somewhere like Amazon? I recently just purchased 2-8 packs of Eneloops from Amazon and shipping was free! Something to consider....

  13. #13
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrartillery View Post
    Go with eneloops! Best AA available IMO! If shipping is your concern why not buy them from somewhere like Amazon? I recently just purchased 2-8 packs of Eneloops from Amazon and shipping was free! Something to consider....
    Thats where i didnt want to buy them from, Because with the free shipping they werent going to ship untill sometime next week and i need them by friday(16th).

    Also if im going to pay shipping i like to buy other things that way im not wasting my money on shipping.

    However I did find eneloops at batteryjunction so i ordered them and a few other things this morning.

    Thanks for all the help,
    Brian

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* mrartillery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    987

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian321 View Post
    Thats where i didnt want to buy them from, Because with the free shipping they werent going to ship untill sometime next week and i need them by friday(16th).

    Also if im going to pay shipping i like to buy other things that way im not wasting my money on shipping.

    However I did find eneloops at batteryjunction so i ordered them and a few other things this morning.

    Thanks for all the help,
    Brian
    Good work!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Just a side note, the current Energizer 2300 mah AA NIMH are made by Sanyo in Japan.

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* mdocod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    COLORado spRINGs
    Posts
    7,350

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Cheaper non-LSD NiMH's might be worthless due to high-self-discharge (I've read of situations as bad as completely drained in as little as 1-2 weeks) after only a few years.
    I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells.

    After a couple dozen cycles and about 1 year of age they would self discharge faster than the trickle rate of many chargers.

    From full to dead in a day of resting.

    After how many people had such horrible experiences with those 2500mAH Energizer branded cells, I am left with a very sour taste in my mouth over ever buying a rechargeable cell from energizer again.

    Eric

  17. #17
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells.

    After a couple dozen cycles and about 1 year of age they would self discharge faster than the trickle rate of many chargers.

    From full to dead in a day of resting.

    After how many people had such horrible experiences with those 2500mAH Energizer branded cells, I am left with a very sour taste in my mouth over ever buying a rechargeable cell from energizer again.

    Eric
    Now thats funny....

  18. #18
    Moderator Kestrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells. [...]
    An experience like that would make me want to convert over to their line of alkaline cells for all my lights.

    Edit: I can just hear it now: "These fancy-shmancy rechargeables don't work fur nuthin', gotta stick with old reliable alkalines from now on."
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-08-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

  19. #19
    *Flashaholic* mdocod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    COLORado spRINGs
    Posts
    7,350

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    An experience like that would make me want to convert over to their line of alkaline cells for all my lights.

    Edit: I can just hear it now: "These fancy-shmancy rechargeables don't work fur nuthin', gotta stick with old reliable alkalines from now on."
    Marketing much ploy? Conspiracy theorist be we may.

  20. #20
    Flashaholic* Russel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanol View Post
    Just a side note, the current Energizer 2300 mah AA NIMH are made by Sanyo in Japan.
    I wish I'd have gotten the 2300mAh Energizers instead of the 2500mAh cells. The 2500mAh Energizers I bought self discharged at an increadble rate.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* Robin24k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,964

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    I don't think that's true for all, I think they did the same thing as Duracell with the Pre-Charged. Some are made in Japan, and others are made in China. I have some 2300mAh ones that I got a couple months ago that were made in China.

  22. #22
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    I was just at my local walmart and i saw the duracell with the white tops, The package said precharged, Are those the duraloops?

    Are eneloops better than duraloops or are they about the same?

    Thanks,
    Brian

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* Robin24k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,964

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Yup, those are Duraloops if they are white-topped and Made in Japan (check battery, packaging is not always 100%). I'm pretty sure there aren't Made in China white tops, but double-check just to be sure.

    They are the same, just rebadged (hence the name).

  24. #24
    Flashaholic* TorchBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,495

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Mmm, Eneloops.
    No, a torch does not always mean flames.
    Ian.
    LED Driver List - now database driven and with new search features.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    I don't think that's true for all, I think they did the same thing as Duracell with the Pre-Charged. Some are made in Japan, and others are made in China. I have some 2300mAh ones that I got a couple months ago that were made in China.
    Hmmm... it could be old stock, but Energizer's older ni-mh lines (2450/2500) were switched to just being sourced from Sanyo rebranded 2300.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robin24k View Post
    Yup, those are Duraloops if they are white-topped and Made in Japan (check battery, packaging is not always 100%). I'm pretty sure there aren't Made in China white tops, but double-check just to be sure.

    They are the same, just rebadged (hence the name).
    there are white top made in china duracell precharged.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Foothills Country
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragiska View Post
    there are white top made in china duracell precharged.
    Egsise posted two images of the Sony Cycle Energy Blue which demonstrates this fact in his NiMH AA cell freezer test:

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post3078054
    -
    I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves

  28. #28

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Russel View Post
    I wish I'd have gotten the 2300mAh Energizers instead of the 2500mAh cells. The 2500mAh Energizers I bought self discharged at an increadble rate.
    I (or rather my SO with my help) abused several sets of 2500 energizers in a Radio Shack LCD TV and they DID NOT LIKE IT! About 1/4 of the cells after 50 cycles would not hold a charge for more than a couple of days. I haven't treated my Eneloops quite as badly, usually, but they support high power drains better AND show amazing cell-to-cell consistency in parallel recharging on my Lacrosse 900. Usually all 4 cells come off at about 5% variance or less, while other NiMN brands (Energizer and Lacrosse, and very old Maha) vary by 10% when new, and 20% or more after being used for a while (and left unused now and then for a couple of months).

    The eneloops are just obviously made to be much more durable and to much higher standards than the "higher capacity" cells. I have something like 20 AAs and 12 AAAs and have yet to have one fail to maintain its rated capacity on the charger, and running in an electric shaver, you can HEAR the difference in power! It's significant, as you can see from the high current curves in Silver Fox's tests. Cheap means cheap, not better value, in most cases. Spend a few bucks more for eneloops. They're worth it!

  29. #29
    *Flashaholic* kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    6,327

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Ditto what others have said. I have had no complaints form either my duraloops or ROV 4.0 cells.

    IMHO in moderate current draw applications the ROV 4.0 cells are ~90% as good overall as ene/duraloops at 1/2 -to- 1/3 the price. If you're running high current incans stick with the ene/duraloops.

    Energizers.... I have read too many BAD things about them from too many people on too many different www boards for me to openly recommend them. Even though my 2450 cells have been OK, topping them off every 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 04-10-2010 at 01:23 AM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

  30. #30
    Flashaholic* fishinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanol View Post
    Just a side note, the current Energizer 2300 mah AA NIMH are made by Sanyo in Japan.
    Would these be comparable to Eneloops since they are made by Sanyo? I saw some of these at walmart while looking for duraloops. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •