Eneloops vs energizer rechargeable?

Brian321

Enlightened
Well i want to buy my first set of AA rechargeables, But i dont want to pay the shipping for the eneloops.

Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?

Or do you guys know where i can get some eneloops with free shipping?

Thanks,
Brian

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
buy the duracell precharged nimh with the white tops, they are rebadged eneloops or commonly called duraloops. They are made in Japan so look closely at the batteries to make sure as the black top duracell precharged are rayovac hybrids rebadged and not quite as good.

Brian321

Enlightened
buy the duracell precharged nimh with the white tops, they are rebadged eneloops or commonly called duraloops. They are made in Japan so look closely at the batteries to make sure as the black top duracell precharged are rayovac hybrids rebadged and not quite as good.

Can i get these locally? Im not sure if i saw them at walmart.

Thanks,
Brian

Russel

Enlightened
Is there any real difference in the quality of eneloops or the energizer rechargeables that i can get at walmart?

Most definitely! Eneloops are the best AA NiMH recharables that I have ever used, and Energizers are the worst!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have both, i can't complain about energizer, they are not lsd cells, and have larger rated capacity.
in my aplication energizers work fine, they only put out about 3 amps, i run tle 300 off them, it runs for a about an hour, bright.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Can i get these locally? Im not sure if i saw them at walmart.

Thanks,
Brian

I have seen them at walmart here but you may have to look near the camera section all around the area as they were not with the other batteries in some stores. They also sell them at Target but finding the white topped ones is like an easter egg hunt at times.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops or Duraloops are definately worth the extra money. If you have access to Costco, they have a 8xAA and 2xAAA Duraloop pack for $18.49.

shark_za

Enlightened
Short term performance wise you can get a few more mAh out of the Energisers if you use them straight off the charger.

I got over 2100mAh most of the time.

I have a few Uniross "performance" cells rated at 2700mAh that show me 2500mAh at 500mA drains.
If I am planning on using a light or camera extensively the next day I charge them up and use them fresh.
For everything else I use Duraloops, old Hybrio's and GP Recyko.

I cant comment on the durability of the Energisers as I stopped using them once I got some other high capacity cells.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've only used Eneloops (actually the Duraloop made-in-Japan-by-Sanyo variety) because the self-discharge from traditional NiMH cells (~1% per day) would drive me crazy - that's a deal breaker for me.

For budget 'LSD' (low-self-discharge) NiMH cells, see if you can find the Rayovac Hybrids or the 4.0's around - I hear that Fry's carries them at good prices. They are usually somewhat cheaper than the Eneloops but also not quite as good. I've read the CPF threads on the Rayovac LSD cells and I'd still choose them over any top-quality non-LSD cell - I really like knowing that a light I charged up a few months ago is at ~97% of maximum compared to being nearly completely drained, even though it hadn't been used. :(

I'd even choose the Chinese-mfg 'black-top' Duracell LSD's (rebadged ROV 4.0's) if the price was good enough - IMO the normal price for these ones is somewhat higher than the comparable ROV's. These are very easy to find in Target, etc, but since the good sales from last year are now only a fond memory, I'm not a fan of the current shelf price.

Also, check online for free shipping on the Rayovac 4.0's - they are pretty common online and a lot of places carry them. Also, check the 'good deals' section on CPF/MP - particularly if you're patient enough to wait for a new good deal to be posted.

And we could also discuss the topic of older non-LSD NiMH cells which start to exhibit significantly greater self-discharge after only a couple years of use - which would make them them pretty near useless IMO. I intend on using my Duraloops for 5+ years, I fully expect them to retain much of their LSD property over that timeframe. Cheaper non-LSD NiMH's might be worthless due to high-self-discharge (I've read of situations as bad as completely drained in as little as 1-2 weeks) after only a few years. :shrug:

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
to op.
to answer your question which first set of rechargeables you should buy, i recommend eneloops. assuming you don't use them in sst90 or 100w halogen light, at the amp rate eneloops wont do.
you need elite 1700, or titanium high drain cells, neither is lsd, but at that discharge rate, you wont find lsd nimh cells

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
If you have an app where you're going to always charge the batteries and use them the next day, the non-LSD (Low Self Discharge) batteries may be worth buying.

I'll agree about the Rayovac 4.0 being worth buying for the cost savings if you can find them. My Fry's has Rayovac 4.0 for under $1.50 each. My convenient duraloop source is over $3.00. Consensus seems to be that Rayovac 4.0 is only slightly less good than Eneloop.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Well i want to buy my first set of AA rechargeables, But i dont want to pay the shipping for the eneloops.

Or do you guys know where i can get some eneloops with free shipping?

Thanks,
Brian

Go with eneloops! Best AA available IMO! If shipping is your concern why not buy them from somewhere like Amazon? I recently just purchased 2-8 packs of Eneloops from Amazon and shipping was free! Something to consider....:D

Brian321

Enlightened
Go with eneloops! Best AA available IMO! If shipping is your concern why not buy them from somewhere like Amazon? I recently just purchased 2-8 packs of Eneloops from Amazon and shipping was free! Something to consider....:D

Thats where i didnt want to buy them from, Because with the free shipping they werent going to ship untill sometime next week and i need them by friday(16th).

Also if im going to pay shipping i like to buy other things that way im not wasting my money on shipping.

However I did find eneloops at batteryjunction so i ordered them and a few other things this morning.

Thanks for all the help,
Brian

mrartillery

Enlightened
Thats where i didnt want to buy them from, Because with the free shipping they werent going to ship untill sometime next week and i need them by friday(16th).

Also if im going to pay shipping i like to buy other things that way im not wasting my money on shipping.

However I did find eneloops at batteryjunction so i ordered them and a few other things this morning.

Thanks for all the help,
Brian

Good work! :thumbsup:

Thanol

Newly Enlightened
Just a side note, the current Energizer 2300 mah AA NIMH are made by Sanyo in Japan.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Cheaper non-LSD NiMH's might be worthless due to high-self-discharge (I've read of situations as bad as completely drained in as little as 1-2 weeks) after only a few years. :shrug:

I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells.

After a couple dozen cycles and about 1 year of age they would self discharge faster than the trickle rate of many chargers.

From full to dead in a day of resting.

After how many people had such horrible experiences with those 2500mAH Energizer branded cells, I am left with a very sour taste in my mouth over ever buying a rechargeable cell from energizer again.

Eric

Brian321

Enlightened
I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells.

After a couple dozen cycles and about 1 year of age they would self discharge faster than the trickle rate of many chargers.

From full to dead in a day of resting.

After how many people had such horrible experiences with those 2500mAH Energizer branded cells, I am left with a very sour taste in my mouth over ever buying a rechargeable cell from energizer again.

Eric

Now thats funny....

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I guess you've never had the pleasure of using the OLD ENERGIZER 2500mAH cells. [...]
An experience like that would make me want to convert over to their line of alkaline cells for all my lights. :ironic:

Edit: I can just hear it now: "These fancy-shmancy rechargeables don't work fur nuthin', gotta stick with old reliable alkalines from now on."

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
An experience like that would make me want to convert over to their line of alkaline cells for all my lights. :ironic:

Edit: I can just hear it now: "These fancy-shmancy rechargeables don't work fur nuthin', gotta stick with old reliable alkalines from now on."

Marketing much ploy? Conspiracy theorist be we may.

Russel

Enlightened
Just a side note, the current Energizer 2300 mah AA NIMH are made by Sanyo in Japan.

I wish I'd have gotten the 2300mAh Energizers instead of the 2500mAh cells. The 2500mAh Energizers I bought self discharged at an increadble rate.