Troubleshooting Fenix L1T v2.0

bla2000

Enlightened
What I would like to know

How can I troubleshoot my light or did I wreck it permanently?

Light

Fenix L1T v2.0

Current status

Sometimes it turns on but only on high and not low. Twisting the bezel does not switch it to low. The majority of time it doesn't even turn on at all.

What I did to cause the problem

Took the head off of my L1T and put it on my P3D running on 2 RCR123s. The light was bright but got hot quickly. I think I may have wrecked the driver board.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Let's see, you ran a 3 volt head with 7.4 volts. You can typically run those heads with a single li-ion and no long-term effects. Two li-ions is another story entirely though; that would have been extremely over-driven. I would not at all be surprised if it did permanent damage to the driver and LED.

That really is a bummer; the L1T v2 is a nice light! :(

bla2000

Enlightened
I read this and tested the with the head on a p3d tube with the following results:

On low

• AA sends 20 mAmps and light doesn't work
  • CR123A sends 10 mAmps and light is dim
On high

• CR123A send 1.2 Amps and light is bright with a whine
I don't have a fresh AA to test with. What does the above results indicate?

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I read this and tested the with the head on a p3d tube with the following results:

On low

• CR123A sends 10 mAmps and light is dim
On high

• CR123A send 1.2 Amps and light is bright with a whine
I don't have a fresh AA to test with. What does the above results indicate?

Is that with one or two CR123s? Off the bat I would say that the "boost" abilities are blown hence the low voltage of the AA not doing much of anything. If you are testing with only one CR123 then that would change things up a bit.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like
A) you fried the driver by putting way too much voltage through it...

or

B) your AA's are dead.

---

I'm leaning towards A) with this one. The L1T is a 3v max head. You put ~7.4-8.4 volts through it... Guess what, it wasn't designed to handle it, and is subsequently fried...

bla2000

Enlightened
If I've fried the board then is this DX board a suitable replacement which was recommended in TorchBoy's driver list thread? If so then I will have to learn to mod if I want to fix it. Previously I was thinking about replacing the led but after opening the head I never got around to buying the solder station.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
The standard checks to run through first...

Check all AA batteries are good - ideally fresh batteris to be sure.
Make sure all contact surfaces are nice and clean - the points the battery contacts the head and tail, and all the connections between the sections of the light.
Make sure the switch is okay and tight - they can work loose sometimes and will cause intermittent problems with turning on and so on.

See if that does anything to help - a lot of problems can be caused by things working loose or connections getting dirty.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, it sounds like the problem is that something blew when you ran it on the other battery tube - feeding such a voltage to something that is not designed for it can damage the circuitry and the LED - the fact that it got so hot and bright doesn't bode well as that is a sure sign of it being hugely overpowered.
If that is the case, I think you are probably looking at a new light - repairs are just not cost effective.

I am rather fond of the L1T as a light though, and have been carrying one as EDC for a fair while and it is still going strong - nothing has yet tempted me enough to upgrade from it (bah to all the fancier UI's and so on) though I am wandering if there is going to be an LT10 appearing anytime soon.

bla2000

Enlightened
With a fresh AA it always works but only on high. I've lost low. Currently that is better than nothing but perhaps I'll try replacing the board and led in the future.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Weird, so at least part of the boost circuitry must still be intact. A single CR123 wouldn't direct drive an emitter at 1.2A and a single AA wouldn't even light up the LED without a boost circuit. Maybe general mode not working is from dirty threads? Not sure though, I'm really just guessing here.

bla2000

Enlightened
I cleaned the threads and still no low. Here are results testing with my DMM:

L1T - AA

• low = 40 mA
  • high = 2.2A
P3D - RCR123

• low = 19 mA
  • med = 60 mA
  • high = 181 mA
  • turbo = 430 mA
I added the P3D reading to hopefully show that my DMM is getting an accurate reading when it returns 2.2A for the L1T on high. Are the reading for the P3D accurate?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked my older P3D with RCR123s, that originally came with a Rebel. It now has an XP-G R4. Here's what I got on mine. It appears the circuit is different on my low and med, but high and turbo are the same as yours. I have a Fluke DMM.

low------.02A
med-----.07A
high-----.18A
turbo----.45A

I have the Leatherman version of the L1T V2 and got these readings with an Eneloop. The emitter on this one has been changed to an XR-E R2.

low----.14A
high----1.66A

Last edited:

bla2000

Enlightened
Thanks. Your P3D reading are almost the same because the differences are:

• low = 1mA
  • med = 10mA
  • high = 1mA
  • turbo = 20mA
I guess my DMM is accurate and my L1T is sending 2.2A on high. btw, my P3D has a Q2 bin XRE so it is quite old.

bla2000

Enlightened
Once the head is open how can I access the driver to replace it? I would like to learn how to mod. I've searched the forums for driver replacement of p3d and l1t heads but didn't find anything.