Ultimate Throw & Brightness in the 500.00 Range?

umc

Enlightened
I've been wanting something "powerful" in an LED flashlight form factor. What is the best out there for brightness and throw in the five hundred dollar range?

I'm going to start looking at the Olight Intimidator but what else is there? I would like a quality light from a good company and 4Sevens fits that bill a cpf discount would be nice too but what other lights should I look at?

The 2200 lumens on the Imtimidator, are those emitter lumens?

Thanks for the help

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You should also consider HIDs You will get more Lumens and more Lux for your $$.

Might also want to consider a led zep modded M6. That will get you in the 1500+ Lumen range. IIRC bc tested his at around 1700 OTF.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Not many choices in this area. The SR-90 was a bit of a "first" for this formula. Overall opinion of this light has be mostly positive. I believe the lumen rating is based off of measured current to the LED or emitter lumens but I could be wrong. In any case, it's bright.

Another light to consider although a completely different formula is the WiseLED 2000.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
The SR90 would be your best choice and it fits on your budget. Very bright and very throwy. DEFT also comes to mind but it's not bright as the SR90 does.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to have a look at what ElektroLumens is producing.
I've been wanting something "powerful" in an LED flashlight form factor. What is the best out there for brightness and throw in the five hundred dollar range?

I'm going to start looking at the Olight Intimidator but what else is there? I would like a quality light from a good company and 4Sevens fits that bill a cpf discount would be nice too but what other lights should I look at?

The 2200 lumens on the Imtimidator, are those emitter lumens?

Thanks for the help

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I think Deft and the SR90 are about the only 2. I love my SR90, absolutely no regrets!!! It is very solid and just an all around amazing light:twothumbs

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an SR90 in my hands last night. I got to play around with it, and a JETBeam RRT-3. I got to take them outside, and while I thought my M1X was a light cannon.....my poor M1X and the RRT-3 went running away with their tails between their legs when put up against the SR90. The thing is friggin' bright, and throws like nothing else I've seen....except for HID. We brought it in to the garage and turned out the lights to do a bounce test. The RRT-3 and M1X did a good job of lighting up the garage, but OMG the SR90 turned the garage in to mid day brightness. If I could justify the money for this thing, I'd get it just for bragging rights. It is big though, but built like a tank. I was very impressed with this light. You can get it at lightjunction.com. They have a CPFSAVE12 discount that if used at checkout saves you 12%. I want this light so bad, but I'm afraid my wife would remove body parts I cherish if I spent the money on it.:ironic:

sebis

Newly Enlightened
I have an SR90....definately a bright solid light, I love mine!!!!

Second that, I have an SR90, just got it this week and tonight was my first chance to take it out on my farm to play with it. This is a mostly wooded property so I could not see the maximum throw but I am very happy with it: on low it is impressive, on high it is amazing.

I have a section of property that was cleared for the electrical line, maybe 300 meters long. You can certainly identify targets at the other end on the low setting. When I turned on high, it lit up the whole area, not just the end but the whole section all the way to the end.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's horses for courses.

Olight SR90 = super thrower.

Elektrolumens Firesword = super flooder... and what a work of art!

These are the two lights I'm considering for my SUPER bright hand held led. I'm tending more to the Firesword because bright flood is what I think is more impressive and more practical.

The SR90 comes with batteries and charger, Firesword don't. So you're going to have to fork out for a charger and 4x18650's that have protection. But again, what a work of art.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
$500 for a production LED light? I didn't know such a thing even existed aside from the WiseLED.

Anodized aluminum tube, polished reflector, emitter, decent switch mechanism. Pretty cheap components, nothing worth $500 unless you want to get into the custom market.

umc

Enlightened
Does anyone have side by side pics of a sr90 and a rrt-3?

I'm still leaning toward the sr90 but like the size of the rrt-3 and the fact I can use primaries but then that gets me to thinking about the Surefire m3lt and m1x because of their size and use of cr123s.

Uggggggg this is such a horrible addiction, I think I need them all now....:huh:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the end of the story. LED's are quickly catching up, and with the release of the SST90 in lights like the SR90....HID no longer has the big output advantage it used to enjoy. The gap is closing quickly. I wonder how many HID bulbs you get to replace by the time the LED counterpart dies. ;)

HID's.

End of story.

:twothumbs